Random Game lockups 5-10 secs - DEVS PLEASE SAY SOMETHING OR ADDRESS THIS

Myfav

I have searched the forums for this issue. It is beyond frustrating.
There isn't any reason is should roll my game back to 32 bit but I did in hopes of fixing it. I've updated all my drivers, I've updated my Video drivers NOTHING HELPS
To say SSG hasn't addressed this is frustrating, to say the least. It is not my PC as multiple people in multiple groups on Argo this weekend battled the same. It is been going on since mid-June because that's when I capped 32 on HC. There's no way you could play HC with intermittent hard freezing, not lag but totally locked up and unable to do anything.
Cordovan? Devs ?

Drunken.dx

Just tonote.
I also occassionaly (few times per week) have game freezing for 10+ seconds (or better put, my ENTIRE PC freezing) it all started after I updated my GPU drivers to be able to play Diablo 4 server slam.

Never had it happen before GPU update.

Also, whoever coded new forums to remove line spacing if you press backspace to delete single letter, I HATE YOU.

Dythan

Isn't this a sound issue? I usually have a podcast or YouTube going in the background, and these lockups pause them too.

Sarandra

Yeap, I'm still having that same issue, and I'm playing with all sound disabled. I don't know why people keep coming back to a sound issue. It certainly is not on my end.

I'm certainly happy it didn't kill me on HC, though I did have a few close calls.

But how is this still an issue?

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
I lowered the engine speed (ingame) and disabled video post effects. Almost got none freezez on the 64 bit client so it helped me.

Mary

The issue occurred during one of the recent updates, either u57 or u58. It's a freeze that happens on every server. I have several toons that I play, some are guilded while others are not, and they range from heroic to epic levels. I usually play with the sound off, and the lag freeze occurs consistently from Argo to Wayfinder, every server. Nothing seems to make a difference; it's like something got messed up behind the scenes, causing a problem related to camera turning. The freeze usually happens when I'm turning the camera, but I could be wrong about it being a camera issue; it seems to be something in the code.

Although it doesn't always crash the client, during some of the longer freezes, it feels like it might. Moreover, there have been more screen load failures, login fails, and log-off issues than usual. It seems like the data going to and from the client is getting gummed up by something.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
I have searched the forums for this issue. It is beyond frustrating.
There isn't any reason is should roll my game back to 32 bit but I did in hopes of fixing it. I've updated all my drivers, I've updated my Video drivers NOTHING HELPS
To say SSG hasn't addressed this is frustrating, to say the least. It is not my PC as multiple people in multiple groups on Argo this weekend battled the same. It is been going on since mid-June because that's when I capped 32 on HC. There's no way you could play HC with intermittent hard freezing, not lag but totally locked up and unable to do anything.
Cordovan? Devs ?
Wasn't that the mailbox bug? The one they changed every how often the game server checks for mails and everything exploded and then they reverted it back. Maybe they accidentally brought it back again.

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
During those freezes - which are 3-10 seconds (if it holds longer than 10 seconds then client crashes) - all my other software freezes (Teamspeak, OBS). Means this could be some IRQ issue or driver<->kernel hiccup.

Also a note WHEN it happens - when I execute some AOE nuke on lot of different mobs (Drifting Lotus in the middle of a mob crowd that has 3-4 kind of mobs) . Could be sound queue issue?

xaktakorf

During those freezes - which are 3-10 seconds (if it holds longer than 10 seconds then client crashes) - all my other software freezes (Teamspeak, OBS). Means this could be some IRQ issue or driver<->kernel hiccup.

Yeah, Windows have driver failure protection. If a driver crashes, Windows will hang for at bit (the full system) while the driver gets reloaded. Usually a single app is to able to freeze all of windows, just the app itself. So it does sound like an issue outside of DDO. (An app should not be able to crash a driver, so even if DDO is making the driver crash, that is not a DDO problem.)

You shold be able to find an entry in the Event Log that tells you which driver failed.

TrinityTurtle

This is POTENTIALLY a windows update issue, my husband has something similar and had to roll back after he did some reserach and found out a update he got (but weirdly I didn't) has seriously messed up how windows is handling multiple games. Or you could be experiencing ISP throttling(that was fun when comcast did that to a large number of users, oh the rage back in the day). Some sort of data corruption in your system. There's a lot of things to look at beyond just drivers. GOod luck!

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
In Windows , you may tune the Exclusive mode in the Advanced Panel of your Playback Device Properties dialog-box (right click sound icon in the tray for playback devices to open the dialogbox with a list or active / inactive devices , in Win7 but should be mostly the same in W10 or above).
you should give Applications Priority to Exclusive Mode. This can be jammed if you start DDO with Administrators' Rights so you should not.

There's an option in the sound settings in DDO that disable sound for playback on focus loss. that may help.

Also , some applications able to freeze and lock low-level access to the sound-card , thus disabling all sounds , Audacity is notorious for that in case of multi-tracks project.

Last edited:

Talam

Yes, happening to me on Argo as well. Think it started sometime in early June of 2023. Heard that it was wireless keyboards & mouse that cause it, switched them out for wired, didn't help. Seems to be generally when there is a LOT of action, i.e. lots of mobs & spell effects.