Reaper Endgame Paladin Vanguard

Tronko

I'm sharing the Vanguard DPS/Support build I'm playing right now. Almost no one plays Vanguard, I think statistically S&B is the least popular fighting style. There are obviously reasons for this… :LOL:
In any case, it's a bit of a shame because I think the playstyle is really fun, with a lot of active attacks.

I chose to try Vanguard again, after years, mainly to use the new Morgrave items. The new sets will hardly be best in slot on traditional melee builds: sacrificing dino armor 3% profane doublestrike and 2d6 sneak dice is not a great idea.
But Colossus is really nice for a shield, and the hand and a half weapons, both Ignition and Demise, with all the limitations of the case, are interesting.

The build is pretty straightforward, 20 paladin vanguard. It's a DPS support with a bit of buffs, debuffs, and CC.

My melee power is 375 in reaper with Sanctified Fervor, nothing special. Playing Vanguard capstone and T5, I don't have Ascendancy.
Double strike is 101%, having the shield I can easily give up the feat and take Crush Weakness instead.

Base damage is solid, and this build really has a lot of active attacks, some very strong:
  • Boulder's Might for Adrenaline that with +5W and +2 Multiplier has no rivals.
  • Exalted Smite, which is really huge when playing in DC. With a cooldown of three seconds, you can keep up the 10% damage buff for the whole group, including ranged in the back.
  • Divine Sacrifice, +2W and +1 Multiplier. Also 3 seconds.
  • Sunder Evil: -10% AC -25% fort, -3 saves I like it.
  • Stunning Shield, wow. The cooldown is still a bit long, but it's basically a stun that always goes off.
  • Shield Rush. Not the easiest to use, but it's huge: +6W and trip for everyone.
  • Shield Smash 3W, a filler, but it's still 'free' and also adds 6 PRR and 6 MRR.
  • Shield Charge 3W AoE

In general, the damage is there but it's not top tier. The attack speed is good (70% under boost and Madstone), the shield helps, but the insurmountable problem is the critical profile: x3 multiplier. Ouch. Vanguard t5 helps a little, you get to 16-18 x3 19-20 x6.
Obviously I'm talking about Bastard Sword, you want a favored weapon for the imbue and various bonuses.
If you're a dwarf, the Dwarven Axe is an alternative. But in that case, the range is 18-20. Not great.

It's an objective limitation of the build, switching to longsword or warhammer doesn't help, and I think hand and a half is the way to go to benefit from the THF line for more base damage and strikethrough.
In this regard, Ignition is fabulous for trash. Salt + paralysis + slay living. Warp souls, and the second upgrade that I still don't know how to unlock. :cry:

Let's talk about mobility. Meh. The base speed sucks, I didn't take sprint boost. It can obviously be taken from Falconry by removing points from KoTC and the extra lay on hands. It does have Shield Rush and Pounce that help a bit.

And the defenses? PRR is there, I get almost 400 which for a melee that is not a tank is a lot. MRR I have 174 and there is the shield. Dodge 12% (horrible) is the limit, at least for me who chose the medium armor and who didn't invest in it. It can obviously be invested by sacrificing something else, there are 6 points to spend in Vanguard and Sacred Defender for +6 dodge cap, and if you want you can use light armor (and remove the shield when you want to evade). But you need different gear slots, points, and destinies. Not recommended.
HP are low, and Blood Feast helps.

Here's a screenshot of my stats in Reaper (self-buffed).

Razor Paladin 20, DC (37) FotW (27) LD (11)
9YEiGpS.jpg

Strength can be higher using consumables buffs such as psionic/alchemical/rising fury etc. not included in the screenshot.

Razor is not absolutely the best race... I was already a razor paladin (if twf, it’s a great thing), so I did a Lesser 0. Razor paladin is obviously very expensive, and honestly the razor does not offer any particular benefits for vanguard compared to a shifter except for a little bit of strength and pounce. I love pounce, especially when I can't/don't want to invest three feats for spring attack. Beasthide is more tanky. Dwarf with Demise is also a nice alternative.
A disclaimer: at the moment rages in FotW are bugged, so I'm using shifting to have 15 charges. You don't absolutely need that many if you play with capable people and someone heals you every now and then. Usually, that's not my case.

The DC of the Vanguard's abilities are great (the new artifact boosts give +3, but honestly it's not necessary). Technically, they can be raised even further with Ancient Tactics (I use Doublestrike) and with a full cha swap for the trance (I use a 'hybrid' filigree set for the trance that also has Sanctified Fervor)

upgUjfP.jpg

JdOgI7n.jpg

Fort bypass is 84%, with all the debuffs it's enough for me.
Strikethrough is 140%, Helpless Damage is 35%. Shield Bash is 88%

Enhancements

cDPewTN.jpg

I really like Vanguard Capstone and t5. KotC capstone and t5 are also very strong, but if you want to play Vanguard, go all the way and use Shield Rush :cool:
Investing in KoTC up to Exalted Smite is a must, I also suggest a point for Divine Sacrifice.
As well as 11 points in Vistani for Haste Boost and 5% Doublestrike. The rest is up to you. I took 3 extra lay on hands.
If you want, you can sacrifice them (and sacrifice a few points in KoTC) for Falconry: Sprint Boost and 5% Quality hp.

Feats
1 Exotic Weapon Proficiency
3 Power Attack
6 Shield Mastery
9 Improved Shield Mastery
12 IC Slashing
15 Greater Shield Mastery
18 Improved Shield Bash
21 OC
22 Perfect Shield Mastery
24 Weapon focus
25 Crush Weakness
27 Epic DR
28 Embodiment of Law
30 Power Critical
L Scion of Arborea
31 THF Specialty

Epic Destinies

fSNzst8.jpg

Divine Crusader T5 is a must-have in my opinion for Mighty Crusade and shield. I want FotW T4 to max Adrenaline and grab Unquenchable Rage.
Then I took LD to have at least 12 Haste Boosts.

Gear Setup

2CkbhFT.png

This is the most fun part, finding a way to use the new items... :)
Ignition and Colossus were the starting points. With two slots already taken, I decided to use Forbidden Knowledge instead of Dino Curse, so I selected three other items: I chose the artifact STR boots, gloves (extra smites and 20 Quality MRR) and goggles (20 Quality PRR).
As main set I chose Devil's Infernal Dance with University Champion's Helm (another 75 reaper fragment lost...) and University Duelist's Cloak (great item).
To complete, two pieces Winter (ring and belt with insightful sheltering) because I have them with 11 melee power on it, Bloodbark Bracers (quality doublestrike, and I save one item swap), Raptor Teeth and a Gem of Many Facets with 15% helpless damage (the second item is Ring of Baphomet).
All in all, it's not a bad setup and you also have Fire, Electricity (or whatever you want) and Alignment Absorption.

Main filigrees: Sucker Punch/One Against Many x2, Dreadbringer Melee Power x2, Treachery Melee Power x2, Long Shadow Melee Power x2, Dreadbringer Tactics DC, Dreadbringer Strength, Shattered Device Melee Power, Shattered Device Attack and Damage, Shattered Device Armor Piercing, Bravery Throughout/Shattered Device.

The sentient weapon swaps I recommend are:
  • Bloodrage set (obviously) with LGS Affirmation
  • Prowess set for the melee power boost
  • Sanctified Fervor + CHA for trance and Fervor proc

Pros:
  • It's an all-around melee build, with a bunch of interesting features.
  • On trash you have a phenomenal weapon and fast attacks for more procs.
  • With Adrenaline and Stunning Shield, you can lock down almost anyone.
  • Mighty Crusade is fabulous, Beckon situationally too. And with the shield you have a good reason to put your points in T5 of Crusader.
  • You really have a lot of active attacks, and they are all good. Very fun to play.

Cons:
  • You use a shield, everyone will think you're a tank. Day one, on the first raid, I was sent to deal with the unicorns in Dryad :cry:
  • The damage against red named is far from that of the top tier builds.
  • You are as slow as the Aldabra giant tortoise, but unlike the Aldabra giant tortoise you are more squishy and if you're not careful you won't live that long.

As usual, feel free to ask for more information.

Last edited:

Hammatimes

Cool to see a gearset with the new gear!

How often are you seeing procs with slay living and paralyze? You could swap weapon focus for improved sunder to get the higher duration and trauma if that helps bring fortitude saves down low enough. Is shield rush a helpless knockdown or just basic crowd control?

Also, could you comment on Law of the Divine now that you're using it so people can finally stop saying it's bugged to only scale off 100% MP?

Tronko

How often are you seeing procs with slay living and paralyze? You could swap weapon focus for improved sunder to get the higher duration and trauma if that helps bring fortitude saves down low enough. Is shield rush a helpless knockdown or just basic crowd control?

Hey.
I would say that the proc rate is absolutely the same as that of Legendary Slay Living of Angdrelve and Soul's Sorrow. Some yellow skulls appear... but the good things about the weapon are other, first and foremost LGS Salt. Paralyze procs quite often.
Weapon focus is a prerequisite for Power Critical, if you want Improved Sunder you have it for free in the T4 of the DC. Shield Rush is a non-helpless knockdown (unless it procs the capstone).

Also, could you comment on Law of the Divine now that you're using it so people can finally stop saying it's bugged to only scale off 100% MP?
Something is wrong with Law of the Divine. According to its description, I should have 12d6 (epic + legendary levels) scaling with 200% melee power. I have 8d6 Slayer of Evil dice, also scaling with 200% melee power. My light procs are higher than my law procs.
Considering that I have 8d6 light vs 12d6 law, from the numbers I'm seeing, it's possible that Law of the Divine scales with 100% melee power and not 200%.

jDyuuS3.jpg

Last edited:

Grunndi

Are there any extra Crit multi attacks that use your shield? With their better base Crit profile, being able to Adren your shield with a decent +Crit multi active would be nice. Maybe when they do a vanguard pass we’ll get an exalted shield smite (…getting Diablo 2 flashbacks…)

Marshal_Lannes

Great write up covering new equipment. I've only played Vanguard on Hardcore and that was as a Fighter, not a Paladin. Fighter gets major tactical DC buffs but doesn't get to use Sanctified Fervor. I was also using Dire Charge, not Crusader. I think the Crusader/Fury combo you outline is superior. How many HPs and PRR do you have?

Tronko

Are there any extra Crit multi attacks that use your shield? With their better base Crit profile, being able to Adren your shield with a decent +Crit multi active would be nice. Maybe when they do a vanguard pass we’ll get an exalted shield smite (…getting Diablo 2 flashbacks…)
Unfortunately no, the best you have is 6W (vs Boulder and Exalted Smite). Another huge problem with the shield for Adrenaline is doublestrike, as it counts as offhand :cry:

Great write up covering new equipment. I've only played Vanguard on Hardcore and that was as a Fighter, not a Paladin. Fighter gets major tactical DC buffs but doesn't get to use Sanctified Fervor. I was also using Dire Charge, not Crusader. I think the Crusader/Fury combo you outline is superior. How many HPs and PRR do you have?
Thank you :)
I am not a fan of the fighter vanguard, and I don't think that the tactical feats are necessary for a vanguard (they might be for a character with few lives tho). HP and PRR are those of the screenshot ;) HP are in the range of 4,1-4,2K in reaper , 3K outside reaper (not counting temporary), PRR is close to 400 in reaper.

Hammatimes

Considering that I have 8d6 light vs 12d6 law, from the numbers I'm seeing, it's possible that Law of the Divine scales with 100% melee power and not 200%.
Ahh okay, initially when I saw the lack of actual math I was very skeptical because that's horrible practice to just compare numbers and go off feelings without anything to back it up, there could easily be a bug with the light damage or a visual error with the debuffs similar to the visual error with sneak attack and debuffs. When I did my initial testing I forgot to factor in doublestrike, with factoring that in the minimum differences I get between doublestrikes are 7s and 8s with a MP of 271. 7.5/2=3.75 which is close enough to 3.71 scaling it would have if using 100% MP scaling.

FVSHasBeenEvenMoreGutted

you made a centered rouge assassin in a tree that doesn't support centered, and toon 2 epic strikes, which impressed me. now I'm waiting for the reaper endgame centered vangaurd paladin!

Tronko

you made a centered rouge assassin in a tree that doesn't support centered, and toon 2 epic strikes, which impressed me. now I'm waiting for the reaper endgame centered vangaurd paladin!
Hahaha, I don't think it will happen.

My personal gripe about S&B vanguard. The investment of feats and points are not balanced with offence and defence. In fact the defensive side of vanguard is so underwhelming, people tend to not run them. Now, in your case, completionist, massive reaper points can make a big difference, (good for you) but that's not the average player.
*(nice gear set though, gratz)

You're absolutely right, Vanguard has nothing to offer for defense. If we really want to, the tree gives 3 armor dodge cap. But that's it...

nenetteblackmoor

Please tell me the breakdown of STR.

When posting a screenshot, I prefer it without Instant Buff compared to a screenshot with Instant Buff. (I think)

Tronko

Please tell me the breakdown of STR.

When posting a screenshot, I prefer it without Instant Buff compared to a screenshot with Instant Buff. (I think)
Hey, there's nothing "Instant" ;)
The shortest-lasting thing is Madstone Rage (+2 STR, it lasts for 120 seconds per clicky).

Anyway, here's the breakdown:
18+2 Base
+8 Level ups
+8 Tome
+1 Racial PLs
+2 Completionist
+2 Racial Completionist
+5 Enhancements
+4 Rage
+3 Raging Strength (Bloodbark)
+3 Furious Force
+2 Primal Scream
+14 Item
+5 Insightful
+3 Quality
+3 Artifact
+3 Profane
+2 Festive
+1 Exceptional
+2 Reaper stats helm
+6 Filigree
+5 Reaper
+2 Ship
+2 Yugo pot
+2 Remnant pot
+2 Madstone
=110

nenetteblackmoor

Thank you, this has been very helpful.
Just to confirm, is Item STR 13 or 14? (Legendary Ring of Baphomet STR+13,exceptional? and where is WStrike?)

I believe this breakdown of STR will be a significant guide for those starting as Paladins in the future.

Last edited:

Tronko

Thank you, this has been very helpful.
Just to confirm, is Item STR 13 or 14? (Legendary Ring of Baphomet STR+13,exceptional? and where is WStrike?)
You welcome. What do you mean by WStrike? Whirling Steel Strike?
Exceptional +1 comes from the Globe of True Imperial Blood.

Epitome

I played something like this back when cap was mid 20s. Really loved the playstyle and really wasn't doing too bad on kill counts either.
I'd like to revisit it after I grind out the new lives since I've been away from the game for a couple of years.

Grunndi

How you self buff your Damage mod to 200 with 110 strength was bugging me FOREVER. Took me a lot longer than I'd care to admit to remember Magic Fang :ROFLMAO: