Reaper system revamp (mentioned by Sev in September)

Fanaval

Hello Developers,

I'd appreciate any updates regarding the schedule for the overhaul of the reaper system, as mentioned by Sev. Many thanks.

It's important to remember that Sev had initially scheduled this overhaul for the summer of 2023 but has since pushed it back to 2024.

A message to the players: those curious about the development team's plans for characters possessing over 156 reaper points might find it interesting that Sev discussed this topic with Cordovan.

This discussion is available for viewing on the DDO YouTube channel under the "Chat with Sev" segment from September 29, 2023, starting at the 14:30 mark.

Thanks again.

Blaster

If I recall correctly, in her appearance on Fridays at Four earlier this year, Tolero said the reaper revamp is not happening in 2024.

songswrath

If I recall correctly, in her appearance on Fridays at Four earlier this year, Tolero said the reaper revamp is not happening in 2024.

Meanwhile the longer they wait the worst this gets. Many of us will have 3 plus toons at 156 . Some of us even have toons that will 256 by than

droid327

Meanwhile the longer they wait the worst this gets. Many of us will have 3 plus toons at 156 . Some of us even have toons that will 256 by than
If that bothers you for some reason then stop grinding reaper points and do something else in game

If you put in all that effort unilaterally because you feel it entitles you to some reward you were never actually promised, you're only setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment

rabidfox

The People's Champion
The update Sev has previously talked about really had nothing to do with 156+ point builds, it was all about reworking the trees to be auto-granted instead of putting points in them so the party leader's reaper power could be shared with newbies/more casual players. And it's been talked about for a couple years now and constantly delayed, so I assume it's not super high priority vs other things they want to do.
I accept the concept that me having well over 156 points like puts me in a tiny minority of the overall playerbase and don't actually expect SSG to do much on that end.

pame12

It's gonna suck having spend so much time gathering these points and the revamp doesn't add any compensation. Like, if someone has earned 30 points from current system, does that mean he's gonna get jack ***** in the new system?

droid327

It's gonna suck having spend so much time gathering these points and the revamp doesn't add any compensation. Like, if someone has earned 30 points from current system, does that mean he's gonna get jack ***** in the new system?
No, the idea was the more you've earned, the more you get, and the more you can share with your party

But again, that whole idea was speculative and may be abandoned by now

songswrath

The update Sev has previously talked about really had nothing to do with 156+ point builds, it was all about reworking the trees to be auto-granted instead of putting points in them so the party leader's reaper power could be shared with newbies/more casual players. And it's been talked about for a couple years now and constantly delayed, so I assume it's not super high priority vs other things they want to do.

I accept the concept that me having well over 156 points like puts me in a tiny minority of the overall playerbase and don't actually expect SSG to do much on that end.
I don't really care what they do. My main is at 211 and my alt is at 91points right. 3rd i never use is at 20 points. But some will hate it. we do need a draw back from more power Creep tho.
I like to see some cosmetics for tiers other than eyes and wings we have now.

songswrath

If that bothers you for some reason then stop grinding reaper points and do something else in game

If you put in all that effort unilaterally because you feel it entitles you to some reward you were never actually promised, you're only setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment
Who said it bothers me. I can care less. I play to help others

pame12

No, the idea was the more you've earned, the more you get, and the more you can share with your party

But again, that whole idea was speculative and may be abandoned by now
Oh ok, I hope the sharing thing doesn't go through though, or at least is an option. I'd hate to party with someone with 150+ points and end up getting a bunch of buffs, only to lose them after the quest, it'd feel really weird and annoying.

CBDunk

Oh ok, I hope the sharing thing doesn't go through though, or at least is an option. I'd hate to party with someone with 150+ points and end up getting a bunch of buffs, only to lose them after the quest, it'd feel really weird and annoying.

So... you never group with bards? Or anyone else that applies lots of buffs?

That said, I've never much liked the 'everyone uses the results of the highest reaper tier party member' idea either. It'd change reaper from a system where your character slowly gets more powerful to... just group with the right person. Never played reaper before? No worries, you'll get all the benefits of having ground through it for years if you group with someone who has. Have two full trees completed under the old system? Eh.... that's nice, but we'll wait for someone with 'max reaper bonus'.

Eme

images

seph1roth5

I don't think sev actually said that's what the system was going to be either. That's something he'd LIKE it to be, but who knows in the end what'll happen.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I don't think sev actually said that's what the system was going to be either. That's something he'd LIKE it to be, but who knows in the end what'll happen.
Well, yeah; it was all theoretical future work and what they were considering for it when he's talked about anything. He's mentioned leadership/reaper stuff a bunch of times over the past few years; but until something hits lam/live, it's all just hopes, dreams, and wishes of things that might never be. He's also said he's fine with some systems having a point where you're done with it and that he's being okay with the idea of people being done with reaper once they hit 156. Who knows what we'll actually see when they do work on stuff in the future.

Sarlona Raiding

They could just make excess reaper points like # of quests qualifying for bravery bonus. You see thousands of quests, but it doesn't actually do anything other than providing a cosmetic # for screen shots.

Bottom line is that nobody should except anything beyond 156, but SSG may decide to provide a very small bonus beyond 156 - who knows.

mikarddo

The reaper system very clearly shows rewards for the first 156 points and nothing more. Expecting rewards beyond that is entirely in the mind of the player and not reasonable.

Infact, the very fact that SSG forgot to cap on earning more points was a mistake which pretty much ensures that no new rewards will be added, ever. It is a very important rule not to add new rewards without requiring NEW effort. Giving new rewards for OLD effort would be very bad practice.

You really need to accept that being able to see the progress in terms of reaper points beyond 156 (a definite mistake, but that cannot be fixed now) IS the reward, and the only one.

pame12

So... you never group with bards? Or anyone else that applies lots of buffs?

That said, I've never much liked the 'everyone uses the results of the highest reaper tier party member' idea either. It'd change reaper from a system where your character slowly gets more powerful to... just group with the right person. Never played reaper before? No worries, you'll get all the benefits of having ground through it for years if you group with someone who has. Have two full trees completed under the old system? Eh.... that's nice, but we'll wait for someone with 'max reaper bonus'.
Getting some bonuses is fine, but getting crazy stuff like +500+ hp is a bit crazy I think, and THEN the bard buffs.

droid327

Getting some bonuses is fine, but getting crazy stuff like +500+ hp is a bit crazy I think, and THEN the bard buffs.
Why? The idea was it lets you run at their pace, not make them slow down to yours

Would you rather have to sit back and pike or just watch them get all the kills because they have a bunch more progress than you and you can't keep up?