Red augment slot for shields and rings

Speed

There is already a lot of space for blue and yellow augments on cloth (including armors) and jewelry.
Red is available on weapons and orbs, but why not on shields?
Shield can be used as a weapon (which I guess is not popular except chance for secondary bash), but has potential as spell power supplement for classes that use red for damage in main weapon (druid, cleric, favored soul, all with multiple elements plus devotion).
Rings can be equipped in two slots and have potential as spell power supplement for classes that use two handed weapons, so could appear with all augment variants.

PaleFox

Orange and Purple are missing as well?

If not, you can fit it in there.

Tho, not sure on rings.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
There are already some shields and rings with red/orange and purple augment slots.
I assume you know that it is possible to slot a red augment into an orange or a purple slot. Orange can accept red or yellow or orange, purple can accept red or blue or purple augments.
According to your logic Runearms also should have red/orange or purple augments cause Runearms are off hand weapons but there is none Runearms ingame with any of those conditions.

Ml 29+ Bucklers with red orange and purple slots:

Ml 29+ large shields with with red orange and purple slots:

Ml 29+tower shields with with red orange and purple slots:

Last edited:

G.W.

The Devs have said that they'll never put a red, orange or purple slot in a non-weapon non-shield item, as players are stupid enough to put a weapon-damage augment in it and then cry when it doesn't work.
It would be useful for spell power augments, but it will never happen.

Zaszgul

Best you can hope for is maybe they add Insightful spellpower as Topaz augments. Or potency/usp.

saekee

long live ROGUE
The Devs have said that they'll never put a red, orange or purple slot in a non-weapon non-shield item, as players are stupid enough to put a weapon-damage augment in it and then cry when it doesn't work.
I suppose the one lowbie thing I would want on an equipment item is freezing ice like on the Frozen tunic but I do not want to give up my ship mage attire for the ghostly. That would be the snowpeaks ruby.

Speed

There are already some shields and rings with red/orange and purple augment slots.
I assume you know that it is possible to slot a red augment into an orange or a purple slot. Orange can accept red or yellow or orange, purple can accept red or blue or purple augments.
According to your logic Runearms also should have red/orange or purple augments cause Runearms are off hand weapons but there is none Runearms ingame with any of those conditions.

Yes, I know about orange/purple, so it was about red augments in general.
Yes, I know there are some named shields, but why not in generated ones that can be used for Cannith Crafting?

There are level 26-27 named cloth/jewelry (Litany of The Dead Part 4 epic) that can have red/orange/purple after upgrade.
Damage augments could be rejected with compatibility message that is just one line of code.

Fisto Mk I

There are level 26-27 named cloth/jewelry (Litany of The Dead Part 4 epic) that can have red/orange/purple after upgrade.
No, they don't. Wiki just have one template for all such stuff, unfortunately, in reality you cannot add red/orange/purple to non-weapon gear.

Speed

No, they don't. Wiki just have one template for all such stuff, unfortunately, in reality you cannot add red/orange/purple to non-weapon gear.

You are right.

Easiest solution would be to change them into diamond/blue/yellow, but I guess it will never happen.
Better thing would be device that can convert them into green (higher color as a cost to keep some balance) just like you can do with handwraps into collars.
Another to just have half chance for generated shield to be red and orb to be blue/yellow.

Aelonwy

They could just change spell power augments from Rubies to Jaspers (Red-orange gem stone) allowing them to go in Red/Orange/Yellow augment slots. Or as Speed said just not allow Weapon Damage rubies on non-weapon/shield/orb gear. Its their code. This is more about them not wanting to allow us to slot spell power with augments for some reason.

PaleFox

We just got a boatload of new augments, I still have to shift through the update notes on the wiki to see which fresh effects we have access to now. But doubt insightful spell power, spell crit chance and spell crit damage are among them.

Lazuli

They could just change spell power augments from Rubies to Jaspers (Red-orange gem stone) allowing them to go in Red/Orange/Yellow augment slots. Or as Speed said just not allow Weapon Damage rubies on non-weapon/shield/orb gear. Its their code. This is more about them not wanting to allow us to slot spell power with augments for some reason.
I really like the jaspers idea.

And it's true, it's their code, they can change everything, many times they don't because it's not in their schedule or because it takes work, not because they can't. There are some technical limitations, of course, but things like this shouldn't be that difficult to modify.

Archest

Yes, I know about orange/purple, so it was about red augments in general.
Yes, I know there are some named shields, but why not in generated ones that can be used for Cannith Crafting?

Damage augments could be rejected with compatibility message that is just one line of code.
even if there were a red augment for a Cannith crafted shield... Try crafting a shield in Cannith crafting, they are truly limited to what can be crafted in prefix, suffix and extra slots to begin with so they are less than capable then you might hope when crafting a shield.

nenetteblackmoor

For some reason, Raid Craft shields lack the Bashing ability. As a result, Raid Craft shields are not an option for characters who want to use their shields for offense.

Could they add Bashing to Alchemical Craft or Dread Craft, or perhaps add Bashing to the Red Augment, please?

Speed

even if there were a red augment for a Cannith crafted shield... Try crafting a shield in Cannith crafting, they are truly limited to what can be crafted in prefix, suffix and extra slots to begin with so they are less than capable then you might hope when crafting a shield.

I did not find interesting enough heroic named shields for me that are bound to account (so I can use it on all characters), can supplement needs (because its static instead of custom fit that would additionally allow more options on other items) in gear set or specific class, and have better basic ac bonus than darkwood/densewood/spiritcraft blank which can have 2 augment slots.

Prefix (put here and get more options on other items) - any spell power (druid/cleric/favored/...), fortification (always good to have), spell resistance (can be useful), combat mastery (some melee or class specials - depends on playstyle), divine/bard, scalable (better than resist on higher levels) fire/electric absorption (first element probably most common, second occasionally most deadly from bolt casters/whisps)
Suffix - deathblock (must have), scalable (higher levels) sheltering (prr + mrr), insight combat mastery (if you need more), at least divine/bash/hp/sp/resist/intimidate
Extra - parrying (stacking ac and saves - good thing), insight balance, at least insight resist/deadly/intimidate
Augments - 2 slots for many options (could put second and third spell power if needed, so you get more options on other items - druid/cleric/favored need devotion and 2+ damaging powers, while they usually use weapons with damage augments)

Better thing would be device that can convert them into green (higher color as a cost to keep some balance) just like you can do with handwraps into collars.

Another option at converting device like handwraps into collar, would be red spell power augment plus any blue/yellow of same level or higher as a cost to get proper color (or even paid with astral shards to npc).

Last edited:

Archest

what cant be put together on the same item, what cant be added to shield but is on other shields .