Reduce the Power of Low Duration Buffs

Levina

i see a lot of John Madden nonsense in online games and it drives me nuts. There needs to be a niche for those of us that don't want to give ourselves hand injuries or wear out a keyboard and mouse quickly. I prefer the "persistent spell" type stuff and the "it lasts for at least five minutes" type stuff. Quaffing haste potions every 30 seconds is already more than plenty of demand on a player even if it does only last until Epic levels.

Meanwhile short duration buffs stack on 20% here and 50% there and 100% over yonder and though they provide an element of deifaction to the character they are creating a form of power creep on their own. Do we get such huge buffs in more realistic situations, or does PnP allow for stacking of multiple massive exponentially and multiplicatively beneficial buffs to extreme effect?

I miss the days when DDO was not easy for anyone, and a +2 tome was a very big deal and made a huge difference. Now you can Quality that +2 in and it barely changes anything. That's another aside, i'm mainly complaining right now about the outrageous power creep and stupidly over-the-top "if you have these three or more buffs going at the same time then you deal 600% more damage so try to keep them up at all times" ridiculosity that should never have infiltrated this complicated game in the first place as it robs DDO of its originality and complexity and goes for raw overpowering of the entire purpose of the game and reduces tactics to "how to i keep all of these buffs going".

I'd like to see a complete rework of all of the short duration buffs to be minor to low impact instead of "i become more powerful than Lolth in her domain when i have these six things going! Muhauhuhahaahaha!" and the passive buffs and gear sets to take more of a central role while the top end stat bonuses we see that push stats over 80 get pruned quite a bit and down tuned so that we don't have to pump out extremely large damage numbers just to take down the DDO mobs (because the developers don't have to turn the numbers up that high anymore due to the overall math being smaller numbers).

I see a game i cherish starting to go the way of all the other MMOs again and end up afflicted by the same old bloat. I just hope that the next generation of gamers discovers this old gem and wants to have their go at it and sees something other than "oh it's just another grindfest to gradually increasing divinity".

Upvote 0