Reduction of prerequisites for fighting style feats

Aaabbbcccddd

This game supports players that want to be creative with their builds, with nearly unlimited options. But one thing always annoys me, which are the high prerequisites for some fighting styles. The best fighting styles are single weapon fighting with its skill prerequisites and shield mastery, but the other two just feel devastating in a lot of builds.

This is especially true for new player without tomes but even if you have a +8 tome its not optimaly if you build a wonky build.

If it was me those feats had no prerequisites, but other options that would be a step in a good direction would be:

13 ability score for all basic/improved/greater

11/13/15 ability score for basic/improved/greater

Maybe there are some other clever prerequisites for those featlines, in line with single weapon fighting.

Playing a wizard and going 17 str just so you can swing your axe the right way just feels bad. Playing a wizard that that only needs 15 str would be okay for me. But thinking about a new player or new alt, a 13 str wizard would be the more humane thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

LunaCee

There are a ton of trade offs to making a good gish build where the caster goes melee. It is massively lessened by being not on your first life or actively compensating for how you are going to be playing the character. Since if you do not care about spell DCs since you plan to be fully melee EK you'd have a low amount of INT and would be primarily focusing STR. The stats required for casting would come from equipped gear. And frankly first life Eldritch Knight builds are probably going to be a Warforged since the blue bar is mostly going to be about buffs and self-healing if you can't hit spell DC break points.

droid327

Yeah with the proliferation of alt-stat builds, 17 str/dex is kind of an arbitrary prereq for Greater. I'd be down for 11/13/15 and reduce dependence on tomes. Cant totally dump the req stat, but you can still max your mainstat

Aaabbbcccddd

Yeah with the proliferation of alt-stat builds, 17 str/dex is kind of an arbitrary prereq for Greater. I'd be down for 11/13/15 and reduce dependence on tomes. Cant totally dump the req stat, but you can still max your mainstat
Exactly, I think that would be a good start. I can understand that poeple dont want to ditch it all because it comes from the books but sometimes gameplay is more important than rules as written.

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
You'd have to get Hasbro/WotC to sign off on that.