Remove "chains" aka forced completion of a series of quests to access other quests

Darq

We all know and hate them. You have to do ES1 to do ES2 to do ES3 aka King's Forest, the Drow stuff and Demonweb. Or Sharn.
People would like to run those quests but oops, "I haven't done Sharn1 yet" or "I haven't don the 1st quest". Or even Ravenloft, albeit Mists is short. Or fens, why do you have to run all 3 pre quests to run the long finale? 1 guy joins in the middle of it, now he can't do the finale or force the group to repeat quests he missed.
Remove such time wasters and grouping blockers.

This was done with the Lordsmarch quests revamp (and that revamp changed many things for the worse) and can be done with others, just don't touch those quests otherwise, don't fix what isn't broken.

Upvote 5

TrinityTurtle

I'd like to see flagging removed from the game too so people can just join things. Also, some of them are prone to breaking. (Looking at you Threnal. Delera's used to be bad to, but it hasn't broken in a long time, not sure if I just settled into the right habitual behavior or it's fixed). Things like that can be a pain.

seph1roth5

I wish flagging persisted through TR. I positively hate having to run all of ES, and that's why I've done it I think once in the last 5 years lol. I suggested it as a possible perk for vips (link in signature) as well.

I don't know the terms of their deal to get forgotten realms, they're always pretty vague about stuff like the details. But I can't imagine it's very technical and specifically requires players to run all of the content per life in order.

Same with the key. For years they told us the key had to be an hour because of contractual obligations, and then they made it 30 min. Now maybe they had to talk to some liaison and ask to make the key twice as fast, I don't know, but again, seems like an oddly specific detail.

TrinityTurtle

THe problem with flagging persisting past tr is the vons bug that for some can only be fixed by tr. If that somehow got triggered, that person would be sol.

Buddha5440

From an RP aspect, it makes perfect sense...You have forgotten all but a little bit about your former life (EPL Feats), your mind has been pretty much wiped and, as such, you cannot remember where things are or why you are there (chain advancements).

Since this is an MMORPG, I am fine with having to re-run flagging quests, re-find teleport locations, and the like after a TR.

Buddha5440

However, if you have already run that "chain" in your current life, you should be able to jump into any of the quests (except for maybe Demonsands which requires you to acquire and use (turn in) certain items.).

C-Dog

We all know and hate them...
"Hate" is far too strong a word (in my case), but I do agree in principle. Having to red-door Catacombs or Tangleroot, or desperately try to zerg earilier quests on Casual to flag (which can't be done for TR!), is rather annoying. And those chains that simply bar late entrance is something beyond annoying.

And, also agreed, not being able to re-run a specific quest (perhaps to farm a specfic item) without re-running the entirety of the chain up to that point* is a further pain.

(* You can (almost?) always "windowbox" it if you work with others or multi-box)

Memnir

IMHO, this would be a boon for those who reincarnate. Once you've already ran through the story once, why be forced to repeat it in sequence? You've been there, done that, and looted the tee shirt. But, it could also cause havoc for PUGs and make grouping even harder for 1st lifers. Hell, even without it being tied to the Reincarnation Gerbil Wheel, it would probably make grouping these chains a much bigger cluster than it already can be.

I've played the game enough times through on enough alts that I'd kinda like to skip over some annoying quests in some chains - but I also don't realistically ever see this being a feature brought into the game.

Uppsy

I feel flagging should be only removed (or adjusted in certain circumstances) the biggest flag rework should be the abbot flag, yes it is great we now have a sigil forever however, the flag for the raid is just too time consuming and cannot be done quickly in order to join a group for it you see up. To amend this it should be done like Tor where the bosses are removed for the flagging reqs (yes this would alter the story unfortunately) OR just make it able to do all the bosses in one run. This is the only circumstance where I have issues with flagging personally.

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
IMHO, this would be a boon for those who reincarnate. Once you've already ran through the story once, why be forced to repeat it in sequence? You've been there, done that, and looted the tee shirt. But, it could also cause havoc for PUGs and make grouping even harder for 1st lifers. Hell, even without it being tied to the Reincarnation Gerbil Wheel, it would probably make grouping these chains a much bigger cluster than it already can be.

I've played the game enough times through on enough alts that I'd kinda like to skip over some annoying quests in some chains - but I also don't realistically ever see this being a feature brought into the game.
They can do it like a favor reward, you need to do the chain once, when you get the full reward you unlock the whole chain for the character. Forever. Persist through TRs.

Problem is not every chain is the same patron. Korthos is a good example. Different patrons.

Ying

5000+ hours played
With newer releases, SSG seems to be moving away from flagging. Sharn is the last content with prerequisite quests.

Don't hold your breath for older content to have flagging gates removed. It's just a sunk cost with no financial benefit compared to new features and content that will generate revenue. The only time we'll see flagging gates removed is when the content is getting a legendary facelift, like the recently released Legendary Droaam quests.

ForeverZero

At least the examples OP mentioned can be red doored, citw is mostly dead as content. Favor is nice, but even then it's mostly just a mild inconvience, at least to me. also these can all be grabbed at once minus the flagging quest specifically till done, the biggest gripe I have is having to go back to town to get quest, and go back. Again, comes back to inconvience. Stream lining would be fine imo, though I can care less about it in general.

However Sharn is my biggest pet peeve, gotta do 1 quest to unlock 3 more, gotta do those 3 to do business. All of them have same enterence, which would be fine, if you could red door the quests, I am officially a lazy person who doesn't really care about claiming end rewards like that if I can avoid it. It just seems erroneously complicated for no reason. First time to "Flag" I'm fine with, but let me do or skip what I want when I've already done it once.

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
At least the examples OP mentioned can be red doored, citw is mostly dead as content. Favor is nice, but even then it's mostly just a mild inconvience, at least to me. also these can all be grabbed at once minus the flagging quest specifically till done, the biggest gripe I have is having to go back to town to get quest, and go back. Again, comes back to inconvience. Stream lining would be fine imo, though I can care less about it in general.

However Sharn is my biggest pet peeve, gotta do 1 quest to unlock 3 more, gotta do those 3 to do business. All of them have same enterence, which would be fine, if you could red door the quests, I am officially a lazy person who doesn't really care about claiming end rewards like that if I can avoid it. It just seems erroneously complicated for no reason. First time to "Flag" I'm fine with, but let me do or skip what I want when I've already done it once.
I still working on upgrading all my CITW gear.

Jeronimo

I support this! Then I could get rid of my parked flagging toons on my alt account... they only see the light during TRs. :)

It would be very nice to cherry pick what you want to run.

ForeverZero

Celestia and Pinion and Sireth and Needle still very appealing at lvl. :cool:
This is true, but given how fast it is to level, with or without the citw weapons, my point still stands, they're good weapons, but idk if their worth the investment to get or upgrade. Though to be fair I don't really use builds that would use any of those weapon types much so I could be biased.

Fisto Mk I

This is true, but given how fast it is to level, with or without the citw weapons, my point still stands, they're good weapons, but idk if their worth the investment to get or upgrade. Though to be fair I don't really use builds that would use any of those weapon types much so I could be biased.
Get it once, fully upgrade once - and it serve forevaaa! ;)

Any thrower build use Celestia until ML30 (Legendary Alchemical or Dino stuff after). Personally i use it up to ML26 and change to old ToEE weapon +armor for Evil set, but now old ToEE stuff unavailable for most players, so... ;)
Any Staff Monk/Acrobat build use Sireth until ML28, same about any Bow builds and Pinion or Ranged Arty builds and Needle.