Runearms on non-artis and how they feel

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Now that the u66 update allows runearm DCs to work off int/cha/wis via machrotechnic, I figured it was time to give them a good rundown on an alt that's not my artificer main. I found the experience to be mediocre compared to what I'm used to.

The lack of stable charges meant I couldn't open combat by running in and firing a strong shot. It took about 4-5second to fully charge once standing still and in a game where bouncy bouncy, always moving equals life, I found I rarely had many charges so the runearm always hit very softly. The t4 ability that does extra lightning/sonic damage on blasts would be nice if it worked with AoE and wasn't limited to single target (the target appears to be random as it often landed on someone other than who I was actively targeting with the blasts); then I could just blast fast and use that damage to offset the lack of charges.

I feel like machro still needs a little work to feel nice on a non-artificer build. Ideally I'd want +1 stable charge per core taken and/or for the t4 Echo/Spark Drive to apply as AoE. I'm curious what others who've tried it think of it.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Agree. I"ve been using it on a thief build and it feels lackluster. It is nice to have a secondary fire ranged weapon though. The question is should it feel any better? This isn't or maybe shouldn't be that beneficial to a non-arti build perhaps? Would love to have the option of higher stable charge though!

rabidfox

The People's Champion
The question is should it feel any better? This isn't or maybe shouldn't be that beneficial to a non-arti build perhaps?
IMO, yes, it should feel better. It needs to feel worthwhile to invest heavily in the epic tree; I've moved my build back away from using machro. My main runs push raids on 20 arti (so deeply invested in artis being awesome) and I don't feel like I need exclusivity on runearms feeling nice (maybe others might feel the need for exclusivity but I don't); I think an epic tree based around runearms should make runearms feel solid for anyone who spends the DP to go deep into it.

l_remmie

Rune arms are primarily a utility tool.
Blowing up boxes, having extra stats and doing a little bit extra dmg is just fun.
It's not that big of an investment to use one and have a go with it.

I did an artificer life while going all-in on the runearm. It's a lot of fun and far more versatile than shooting an xbow. The macrotechnic destiny gives significant upgrades and lets you keep up the fun in epics. In legendary however it goes downhill superfast. DC's needed and mob-hitpoints increase drastically and while the rune arm is great you will still need to be standing still a lot for it to recharge.
I recommend just TR-ing at 30.

Also, Most rune arms are still broken as of u60.
Don't rely on any that shoot projectiles.

NightHiker

I feel like machro still needs a little work to feel nice on a non-artificer build. Ideally I'd want +1 stable charge per core taken and/or for the t4 Echo/Spark Drive to apply as AoE. I'm curious what others who've tried it think of it.
Yeah, my experience was similar. The tree felt like it could lead to an interesting variant of my Stormsinger build, with the sonic runearm and the sonic SLAs, but in the end it was not worth the investment and extra micromanagement.

Now I just use the tree as my third one for the extra SLAs while leveling from 20 to 26 or so, then revert back to my FS, Primal, Magus setup.

If the fear is making usage for non artis better might buff actual artis too much maybe they can add things that do not stack for Artis, like a stable tier.

Cheers,
NH

Last edited:

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I just recently pulled a Breaking the Bank and that feels less borked than most or the rune-arms I've tried (seems to work right), and seems pretty potent (would be even better with higher stable tiers on this build!).

Yeah, it think for non-arti's Macrotechnic does need some help, but I would hazard to say only enough to make it a little more compelling, and as NightHiker mentioned, not overkill Arti's.

Almghandi

Having an explody runearm makes it easier for me to get ransack... but on a thief build I was not impressed.