Serious: MME, Embracer, SSG + LOTRO/DDO.

Batman

First and foremost. DDO is NEVER going away and I'm not just saying that as a fangirl. I've only been playing just shy of a couple years and if I walked away from DDO it wouldn't be much of a loss (in terms of time/$$ investment). DDO is simply UNIQUE and BETTER than most modern MMOs. Also, we have our "new" Dungeons & Dragons MMO, Neverwinter, and well it's terribad compared to DDO as well as a giant cash grab.

Furthermore, the movie was perfect for us. I mean perfect as in it did just enough in the box office to garner us a nice cache of players but did not hit that critical mass to spark another cultural movement in cinema (aka the Marvel effect). Therefore, it was absolutely perfect... for us. Not sure how Paramount and WoTC took the results of the movie.

With that being said. I'am concerned about SSG's other game. Lord of the Rings Online. Last year, Middle-Earth Enterprises sold itself to Embracer Group:

Embracer Group/MEE has licensed the Video Game license to Amazon Studios for development of a brand new MMO:

So, now. I've played Amazon Studio's 'New World' MMO. Apart from minor gameplay/style/grind problems with that game, the core engine/graphics/and action RPG aspect is good. Really good. Like I imagined often times playing 'New World' if Amazon just chalked 'New World' up as a prototype and take the lessons learned there and then create a better and improved MMO and then put on top of it a AAA intellectual property like 'Lord of the Rings' (I specifically thought about LoTR) then Amazon could potentially tap a new WoW-like game.

Although I'm not 100% certain, Middle-Earth Enterprises probably does an at-will non-exclusive license to all it's games including LOTRO. If that were the case, I don't see LOTRO being 'forced' to shutdown through MEE taking away the license. But I do see Amazon launching their massive billion dollar shiny game and soundly taking away a large chunk of players from LOTRO (at a minimum) or using their infinite-wealth and 'bullying' Enad7 to shutting it down, up to and including acquisition.

There can be only ONE Lord of the Rings after all.

7m8nja.gif

If either of those scenarios come to pass or something in the middle, my concern is how that affects SSG's and more importantly Enad7's strategic decision making on what to do with the SSG gaming studio. Namely,

1.) Can SSG run off just DDO?

2.) If LOTRO revenues come down, what does that mean for development in DDO?

3.) Is the revenue from both games pooled and then after EBITDA and profit taking, is the remaining $ allocated by need or by how much a particular game brings in?

4.) Do you think DDO in some kind of sick and twisted way get a boost in development? Such as some LOTRO devs turning into full-time DDO devs?

5.) Will there be a player influx into DDO? A lot of players play both games, and well, maybe those players will spend more time in DDO than LOTRO?

Overall, my primary concern if for DDO. I played LOTRO, it's a decent enough game, but unless you REALLY like the story of LOTR it's kinda generic. DDO is well you guys know why this game is awesome. So overall, I'm hyper-concerned about what could potentially affect it, including it's sister game.

What do you all think will come of this? Remember, it's a nothing-burger until... it isn't.

1) If they have nothing else in the future? No.
2) Depends on how much
3) It's definately split on need and size. LotRO takes a fair larger portions
4) Um? Actually the LotRO peeps were more up in arms as it's gone the other way as people have move on.
5) The number of people that play both games is miniscule, and there is a sizeable portion of LotRO players do not like DDO at all, like I've seen them complain about it's existence.

If LotRO goes away, I think EG7 gives the team a new project, it's an established team. But it will have to deliver, and if they don't DDO dies too.

Dragnilar

Dragonborn of Bahamut
Agreeing with @Alesthane Garfield - I seriously doubt SSG can survive without LOTRO or another project to supliment DDO.

I'm not saying DDO or LOTRO is doomed though... But you are right to be concerned @Batman . On the bright side - these things take time, so I don't expect there to be any tidal waves coming this year (or even next).

I guess we will just have to wait and see. Right now I'm more interested in what is going to be in U60 and U61 / Vecna Unleashed than I am worried about the ultimate fate of DDO.

All that aside, games do die. I saw Hellgate London crumble the way it did and after that, I just don't get attached anymore.

Br4d

SSG is a small studio at this point. They maintain DDO and LotRO however I don't believe that we've heard of any other projects in the pipeline.

My guess is they just ride the two titles until they're not economically viable any more. EG7 is getting a decent return on both at this point and they'll probably make the call when it's time.

Batman

CookedConcernedCoati-size_restricted.gif

I kinda had that sick feeling that DDO was beholden to LOTRO's survival rather than the other way around.

DDO is plenty viable and fun, it absolutely sucks that it can't stand-alone by itself.

All we can do now is hope and pray that the new LOTR mmo is terrible.

I think DDO makes more money per resource spent, so actually I think it would be just as difficult for LotRO to survive without DDO. EG7 seems to believe in SSG and since they're not completely beholden to short term quarterly gains, if they decided to maintenence mode the games, I could see them throwing them a new project which would have to get done.
Now if Sev can sell DDO/LotRO 2.0 to EG7 and keep all content and current characters? THE REINASSANCE BEGINS.

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
1. Amazon Studios will spend a truckload of money for advertising their game. Hype will skyrocket.
2. They will release a weak game (opinion based on their other games). It will drain some users from LOTRO.
3. People will hit the wall (lack of content, bad re-playability design, PvP unbalanced).
4. All the people from Amazon's game will come back to LOTRO plus extra million.
5. Profit!

Batman

It's not a LotR MMO but a Rings of Power MMO... So no need to worry :ROFLMAO:
This would be ideal but it's not. It's a Third Age War of the Rings setting MMO exactly as LOTRO, that's the issue. And you know how big the story is for the LOTR community.

I have heard LOTRO is solid and so even with the graphics may hold up against the new compeititor but it's Amazon and they can wave a hand and just buy out compeitition.

Anyway, it's not until a couple years from now at least just slightly concerned.

vryxnr

at apprx 3:30 JSH paraphrases SSG's response to the new amazon LotR game, basically "We're not going anywhere".

Batman

Love Josh Hayes and I'm on board with what he's saying.

SSG basically in their statement: "Like the Ents we will endure."

My only lingering fear here however is that it's Amazon. And Bezos personally has a soft spot for LOTR. If he woke one day and is like "buy SSG and shut it down so my personal pet project can thrive." He can do it.

Anyway, it's Amazon so we have a greater than decent chance that the game will just suck hard. So, odds are still in our favor!

Dragnilar

Dragonborn of Bahamut
I think DDO makes more money per resource spent, so actually I think it would be just as difficult for LotRO to survive without DDO. EG7 seems to believe in SSG and since they're not completely beholden to short term quarterly gains, if they decided to maintenence mode the games, I could see them throwing them a new project which would have to get done.
Now if Sev can sell DDO/LotRO 2.0 to EG7 and keep all content and current characters? THE REINASSANCE BEGINS.
Hmm.. Maybe. I've seen A LOT of speculation that DDO has some of the highest revenue per player amongst mmos. 🤔
Anyway, it's Amazon so we have a greater than decent chance that the game will just suck hard. So, odds are still in our favor!
Also, Amazon has had blunders in the past... I. E. Alexa 💀

So take that fwiw!

Agreeing with @Alesthane Garfield - I seriously doubt SSG can survive without LOTRO or another project to supliment DDO.

I'm not saying DDO or LOTRO is doomed though... But you are right to be concerned @Batman . On the bright side - these things take time, so I don't expect there to be any tidal waves coming this year (or even next).

I guess we will just have to wait and see. Right now I'm more interested in what is going to be in U60 and U61 / Vecna Unleashed than I am worried about the ultimate fate of DDO.

All that aside, games do die. I saw Hellgate London crumble the way it did and after that, I just don't get attached anymore.
Hellgate london?