Should Cordovan host Devs on a livestream to discuss how this VIP Loyalty Program came to be?

Should Cordovan host Devs on a livestream to discuss how this VIP Loyalty Program came to be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
No, Elminster ... its not like that.

While it is frustrating to communicate with 'leadership' and be discounted and ignored, they simply have a different approach to dealing with people and running the game than LOTRO side. It is really basic, they just have different relationship styles .. and that works for some people, and not for others.

I can respect that DDO team has their leadership style and relational approaches. Their approaches don't work for me, and it's why I refuse to give them $$$. They've also made it clear that we should just accept how things are, to shut up or not play. So, I don't pay, I rarely communicate, and I play less and less. I'm doing exactly what DDO team has told me to do.

So to see Orion offering those videos ... that gives me hope because the differences in leadership style between the two teams are now blatantly obvious.

And considering that LOTRO team is getting accolades and rewards for their customer service and game, while DDO team is not, is revealing.

That's an 'in-house' challenge. And it's the only vector where change can happen.

The bar has been raised. I'd like to see DDO team step up and receive awards. Will they do what it takes?

The real question for DDO team is ... what are you going to do about this?

Hm, I see your point and you may be right.

Honestly,(and this is the best case scenario) I think we just have some brand new people in the SSG team who may not be too familiar with "what's up" in the game.

You can kinda tell when they add 300 sentient XP as a prize for 3 or even 4 months of straight VIP sub. That's like 1 Legendary item sent food, a brand new person would have no idea that this is worthless.

And it's not that they don't care either because look at the Year of the Dragon prizes, almost all of it is excellent plus. But I'm certain those prizes were carefully vetted and implemented by the senior Dev team including Tolero who all know exactly what things are desirable.

Falkor

I'm not sure if they actually care or not. They have a job to do. And they do it competently. What kind of D&D company, or any company, would have no rewards or incentives at big mile markers?

In my opinion, people who really care about their work tend to produce high quality results. And appreciate feedback from their customers. There are so many issues with this game that I really question if they _care_ ... it's a job. They get a paycheck. That's what most employees care about.

They care enough to do their jobs and produce results and meet most of their deadlines. But care is word I really call into question. There are many things people do differently when they really care, that I'm not seeing with DDO and haven't for a very long time.

If they cared would this type of VIP package been released? Years later? Without taking into account any of the player suggestions? And that is one example of dozens of changes and implementations made without taking into account player feedback ... and with subpar releases.

The players, we care about this game. Yet even that care is diminishing. There are more and more long term players who are clearly not playing as often or with the same level of interest. Or just flat out leaving. How many people have to say they are stopping their VIP sub before SSG listens?

Don't people who care ... listen? This is why I say it's a relationship style. And why I question if they care.

SSGBranding is a good step to caring about this game and the playerbase. I have a lot of hope for whomever is behind that name, they've got some serious challenges ahead of them.

Orion raised the bar. That's an in-house challenge. If that doesn't make the TeamDDO care and take notice, I don't think anything will.

It's obvious Orion cares ... about his job, the players, the game, and the results of their team. Someone like that cares about their team. A leader who is accountable is someone who cares. Someone who takes the time to communicate, cares. Their actions, and the results of their actions, demonstrate that they care.

That is why they get rewards. Caring = excellence = recognizable results = awards and accolades.

When was the last time DDO got any awards or acknowledgement?

Last edited:

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
I vote: No, don't drag this out longer than necessary.

They made their choice now the players have to make theirs.

Cheers,
Titus

AMess

I'm honestly interested in playing LOTRO now that I've seen how they manage the game and community. In DDO, I just don't enjoy the grind anymore, and have some end game characters for raiding and when the level cap raises to play new content.

I believe you to be forthright here. While I love J.R.R. Tolkien, I'm not up for the grind anywhere and while it's nice to compare to SSG products, in the hopes that DDO may get a fair share, my guess is it's more than just mgmt's relationship style (though I do think Falkor is correct on that point too). Generally though, when things are going strongly askew, there's a couple of odd things happening and one may be about being able to hire & retain the talent commensurate with the amount of revenue the game in generating. Seems like we've had a rotating crew of developers at DDO and managing a crew with a revolving door is more difficult.

IMO there seems to be a clear super-star at DDO and they have brisk manner about them. I'd love to buy them a beer/joint/whatever and just hear their thoughts on design/community/life.

In regards to original post, I'd vote to hear SteelStar be interviewed by Strimtom. Even though Strimtom disliked the new VIP plan originally, they've also been huge fan of DDO in the past, so it'd be a fairly neutral interview. I think Strimtom would ask the questions we care about.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
LOL, a VIP reward that's extra on top of everything else is actually making people quit VIP because it sucks so much...

ironic-star-wars.gif

Falkor

The symptom, eg rewards, are not the big issue. They are an issue yes, but the rot and player malaise about VIP goes back a long way.

It's the cause, which is how VIPs have been treated for a very long time. Sooner or later, people get tired of being manipulated, gotcha games, lies and word games. No relationship is sustainable when treating people as if they are irrelevant, their word doesn't matter, and there is no trust because of saying one thing and doing another.

The original FU to vips was breaking the promise that VIPS had access to all content. Who cares what SSG decided to call the 'minipacks' ... it was a break of the original agreement. That broke trust years ago. SSG has done nothing to regain that.

Instead, its been a further eroding of that trust.

And these VIP rewards did nothing to rebuild that trust, only exacerbated a long standing issue. Two years of promises to end up with this is a deal breaker for people who value integrity, open communication and fulfilled promises.

It's really basic and easy to understand. It's just a difference in relationship dynamics. Most of us prefer honesty, respect and communication. Anyone who has a stable longterm relationship in real life understands these dynamics.

This is why Orions videos are amazing. It really illustrates the difference in leadership style between team lotro and team ddo.

This is why LOTRO receives accolades ... the gauntlet has been thrown down. I don't expect team DDO to be anything other than how they have been for years.

The challenge has been made, in house. It's the only place where these dynamics can be addressed.