Since Vecna Unleashed is NOT part of April Curate your XPAC...

Solarpower

SSG lost me as paying customer years ago (Feywild was last Pre-Purchase I did).
What's wrong with Feywild ? šŸ™„

Giving away Isle of Dread for free for those that do not have it is very nice already.
Not quite.
We've already got "choose your discount" and another thing that I forget and to lazy to search earlier this year.
Means all the players who wanted these packs have already bought them. Only a small amount of completely new players recently joined like a month ago would benefit from this. Such a nice "save money" strategy from SSG... šŸ™„

Aaaand, I know, most forum people would disagree, 'cos all they do is chatting using this forum without playing the actual game, but IoD is not a good pack for a fresh player. Ravenloft and access for the sentient weapons will be a way better choice. šŸ˜

Pano

here's a free turd! aren't you happy you got something for free? what's the matter with you?
what people are annoyed with is the continued slight that they show to reward the loyalty of the long time VIP and players that buy all the packs. A one hour potion is essentially a turd.
Agree.
But I also believe that if all players get this 'turd' and not a free xpac, we would not be having this discussion. People are envy, thats my point. (BTW I am also the 'loyal' one, that will receive this 'turd')

Blunt Hackett

I get not including Vecna, but the elixir holds little value to me too. End game isn't my scene, and I have plenty of good loot. It's cool others are getting xpacs. That's a fantastic reward.

I wish they would at least put the expansions on sale on the website. I want to buy higher tiers of Isle of Dread, but that didn't even get a sale last Winter or Summer sale.

nenetteblackmoor

Even the fact that IoD was distributed for free was surprising, so the opinion of asking for the latest expansion pack for free is even more surprising.

KaVaYo

Ok, the elixir is probably not the best reward for people that had already bought all expansions, like me. As it wasn't when they gave away elixirs with races/classes you already bought or even when they gave away potions when they removed the old epic destiny sphere. But if you, like me, run several accounts, (mule, wife, son, chest opener...) I can only be grateful for being able to get IoD, for instance, for free for those accounts. And not long ago, almost every adventure pack for free. Also other expansions at 99 DDO Points. On the topic, I feel completely normal to not include current last expansion in the give away.

Purr

It does really feel like the real winners in this are dual-boxers.

Definitely feels like there could have been a better present for those who had bought everything (permanent discovery boost, raiders box, teleport item, spider mask, etc.)

Blunt Hackett

It does really feel like the real winners in this are dual-boxers.

Definitely feels like there could have been a better present for those who had bought everything (permanent discovery boost, raiders box, teleport item, spider mask, etc.)
Yeah, a box with a choice of items with lasting value would have felt like a thanks for spending lots of money. The elixir feels like getting a vacuum for Valentine's day.

Scrag

I have been sitting on a discovery pot for months. The quests you can roll through multiple times in short order to get pulls generally have lower (it seems) odds of dropping gear, and may not even be the type/quality of gear you want.

You might want something like the bandolier from bark, but even on a fast team that is like a 20ish minute quest, maybe more.

So you drink the pot right before you pull the chest, and then you get to try maybe 2 more times at the quest. Rerolls bring the chances higher, but stupid **** like cooks in the kitchen and improperly weighted chances for a fancy fish make it all ********.

No, a discovery pot is not helpful, and like others said, has a high chance of just sitting unused in a bank.

ducki

The Ugly Duckling
Because people who have paid $1000 for expansions donā€™t get a reward that is ā€œthe equivalent of like 40 bucks.ā€ SSG doesnā€™t reward loyalty.
Ah, sorry, I didn't understand the part about those people not getting anything really worthwhile. After discovering this I retract my previous statement and completely agree. A upgrade to the next tier of any expansion bundle would have been a nice compromise though!

DBZ

Wow SMs are even more horrible then i thought they'd be

Insanely long and no teleports fun times

Got the spark and ready for MD

SquireZed

I think it's entirely fine for them to not include Vecna Unleashed in the giveaway. It's the most recent and probably drives a lot of revenue still, and though the pricing of expansion packs in the store is a major head scratcher sometimes I get why you wouldn't want to include it in the giveaway even though it's relatively cheap to buy with points compared to Isle of Dread or even the Forgotten Realms expansions.

I think the problem is offering a discovery elixir as a clearly inferior substitute. Either don't give anything to people who already have it (yeah, people will complain, but you're giving something away for free so it's not like they can legitimately say you're being greedy, and the people who care won't be placated by a discovery elixir) or give something of actually similarly commensurate value. Or at least, significant value.

Discovery elixirs are pretty low value, all things considered (depending on how many named loot chests you hit in one elixir, that's probably still not even a single item on average at most unless you're zerging short quests that are likely easier to farm). If you hit five named loot chests and reroll each one (which may mean skipping named loot which does appear) you have basically the chance to get *one* named item.

For the single metric of named loot, discovery elixirs are basically an additional quest completion for every three quests on elite/reaper (33% loot rate vs. 10% loot rate), meaning that you would need to finish three full quests to get the equivalent of just running one quest (rounding up) of "bonuses" from the discovery elixir. Now, other in game boosts are often also a single metric and have limited real world return, obviously, but if you compare that to, say, a Sovereign II Experience Elixir (6 hours of 50% experience), you're getting a "bonus" quest completion every two quests for six hours (ignoring, also, that it applies to some but not all other sources of experience- I've definitely popped a sovereign elixir before using an Otto's box before, for literally a *million* experience points bonus which is a very good return on investment for a consumable experience boost).

Yeah, named loot does have some limitations that make a discovery elixir more valuable, like if you reroll chests or are trying to outrun ransack for a specific piece of named loot, but I'd still place the value at no higher than 400 points (comparing against rerolls) even in an optimized farming setup, which does start to look pretty bad. There are some really specific situations where it matters (farming food for sentient weapons, for example) to boost your named item drop rate, but it clearly doesn't even come close to the value of an expansion pack, at which point you just invite negative comparisons.

mbartol

Murder Hobo
Ah, sorry, I didn't understand the part about those people not getting anything really worthwhile. After discovering this I retract my previous statement and completely agree. A upgrade to the next tier of any expansion bundle would have been a nice compromise though!
Itā€™s all goodā€”I appreciate the follow up.
šŸ‘