Social panel should pull the who's online info when opened (no more blank LFM listings)

rabidfox

The People's Champion
It's annoying to get blank LFM lists on the social panel's grouping tab unlesss one swaps to the who tab, waits for the players online list to populate, and then swaps back (also super confusing for new/returning players who have no idea why the grouping tab looks wonky and the workaround one has to do). The social panel should default to the who tab when first opened (after a log in) to start the population of info. This would keep us from frontloading loading info when first logging in while also stopping the blank lists. One doesn't need all the who data pulled/sent when people are swapping between bank alts/etc. but sure would be nice when one checks the social panel for it pull that data right away.

Upvote 11

axel15810

Oh! I appear to have misread the original suggestion! A correction:

In an upcoming patch, the Who list information (which is what populates the details in the LFM window) will begin to load when you open the Social panel instead of when you switch to the Who list tab. The Social panel has also been adjusted to open directly to the LFM window. So, in summary, the new behavior:

1: Player logs in
2: Player presses O
3: Game opens the Social panel to the LFM tab
3: The game begins to populate the Who list, which will fill in the LFMs with valid data
Awesome, the work is much appreciated. And thanks for response. This is a great change.

seph1roth5

Ya I'd definitely say a big improvement. I know I've tried other MMOs and left them because I didn't like/understand the grouping system. Like city of heroes.

canicus

While you are working on the social panel, can we put a new tab for people to advertise guilds and twitch streams? Right now half of the LFMs I am "eligible" for are ads. I don't mind people getting the word out, but LFMs seems like the wrong place.

I am specifically referring to LFMs that are clearly not intended to get people to join, like putting 1-32 on hardcore for a lvl 4 quest

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
Switch to the Who tab, search for a single name or even just "._"

That 'completes' the Who list and the LFM lists will begin populating the names.

This is an unfortunate side-effect of a past anti-lag attempt, making it so the Who list doesn't scan the server until someone actually wants to access it.
That "bug" been around for over 5 years, for something as important as grouping on an mmo its not even listed on the maybe to doo if free list.

MIvan

Uber Completionist

In an upcoming patch, the Who list information (which is what populates the details in the LFM window) will begin to load when you open the Social panel instead of when you switch to the Who list tab. The Social panel has also been adjusted to open directly to the LFM window. So, in summary, the new behavior:

3: The game begins to populate the Who list, which will fill in the LFMs with valid data
Please please add a Tell button to the guild tab.

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
This change is great for people who are not familiar with how the Social Panel works so far. And the current process is really not intuitive. It will help new players now. I say yay to that. But for other players nothing changed really. I still have to use the social panel for the data to load at all. The Guild tab is the most important to me, as well on startup. But if I click WHO first or then GUILD, it is the same with a different name.

This on the other hand, would really improve the usefulness.

Cheers,
Titus

Matsu

Oh, the drudgery of having to click on a different panel!

First world problems. 🙄
Yeah first world problem.

The tool is more useful to many of us who don't use the LFM tab when it opens to the guild tab, like it has for 15 years. I would vote no to this change.

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
Come to think of it, I don't use the FRIEND tab, at all most of the time because the chat still and always bugs out. So I could trade that thing in for something really cool

Last edited:

Tonquin

of Lightning Hammer fame!
Great idea! This will be in an upcoming patch. Thank you!

7sgf0TM.png

Blerkington

There have been a number of threads asking for this change so please fix it as soon as possible. The game's basic infrastructure shouldn't be busted like this even if there is a workaround for it. Thanks for bringing it up again Rabidfox.

LeoLionxxx

Lion of Orien
Great idea! This will be in an upcoming patch. Thank you!

7sgf0TM.png
Could the "dangerous" actions like "Remove", "Quit", "Demote", and "disband" be moved somewhere where they're harder to accidentally click? I'm sure there's a confirmation dialog on each, but I still get nervous every time I click buttons down there.

And if somehow there's UI space, could buttons be made more verbose like "Send Tell" or "Party Invite"?

Oliphant

Kind of uninviting to new players to just leave this bug going for years and years, no? I imagine devs looking in the mirror telling themselves its ok because "everyone" knows about the Who tab searchies workaround.

Tonquin

of Lightning Hammer fame!
Kind of uninviting to new players to just leave this bug going for years and years, no? I imagine devs looking in the mirror telling themselves its ok because "everyone" knows about the Who tab searchies workaround.
There have been a number of threads asking for this change so please fix it as soon as possible. The game's basic infrastructure shouldn't be busted like this even if there is a workaround for it. Thanks for bringing it up again Rabidfox.
Great news - check out these posts from earlier in this thread!
Good suggestion! This work has been completed for an upcoming patch. Thank you!

PaleFox

Concerning the other thing mentioned in the thread title, the "no more blank LFMs" part.
Does this fix the blank LFMs that stay on there for a couple of days, up to the weekly restart?

(I doubt it is possible as it probably refers some internal id that has now been overwritten or purged?)