Sonic imbue damage is not multiplied by Doublestrike and Doubleshot.

Bjond

What build did you use to test this?

If it's INQ or Repeater Artificer on top of Bard, neither has real doubleshot. Instead they have real extra shots. IIRC, both scale down DS (by 1/2 and by 1/3 respectively) and DS can only trigger off the 1st shot, not each shot.

You'd kinda need to use a Bow, Thrower, or Melee to get a solid test.

Qtcreator

If it's INQ or Repeater Artificer on top of Bard, neither has real doubleshot. Instead they have real extra shots. IIRC, both scale down DS (by 1/2 and by 1/3 respectively) and DS can only trigger off the 1st shot, not each shot.

Repeater and INQ has tested, fire,acid,cold,law,etc..,all have multiplied by ds, except sonic ,is this a bug or sonic really not multiplied by ds?

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Oh bloodsong, oh my, I suppose it's important to bug report stuff, but that's such a meh imbue compared to every other option out there.

droid327

All of this is simply untrue. DXB and RXB both use the same Dshot mechanic as the other ranged weapons, and it applies to every attack.

They do have penalties to Dshot - for some inexplicable reason...there's no mathematical justification for it in either case - but you'll definitely see the icon on the flyover text whenever dshot procs, same as bows and thrower

Oh bloodsong, oh my, I suppose it's important to bug report stuff, but that's such a meh imbue compared to every other option out there.
It's not just bloodsong, I am seeing the exact same behavior with Bleed The Weak in Dark Hunter. I have tried both with Multitude of Missiles with throwing daggers and with a short bow. Have not seen any double shots where the damage of Bleed the Weak has been greater than the non double shots (N > 20) In fact, the damage is averaging slightly lower (but that may just be bad luck). I have done a few double strikes, and it does not look like it is being doubled, but it may be small sample size, there.

If it is just bloodsong and bleed the weak, it may have something to do with the multi-tiered effect of those imbues. I compared this head to head with alchemists poison imbue on the same character, and I was clearly getting double imbue damage on every doubleshot.

Would love to see Bleed the Weak work with doubleshot, but only if the rest of the multi-tier damage keeps working like it is right now.

Bjond

All of this is simply untrue. DXB and RXB both use the same Dshot mechanic as the other ranged weapons, and it applies to every attack.

They do have penalties to Dshot - for some inexplicable reason...there's no mathematical justification for it in either case - but you'll definitely see the icon on the flyover text whenever dshot procs, same as bows and thrower

Every attack as in every trigger pull, yes. Every attack as in every bolt, no. This was previously very easy to check since you could count ammo spent when DS resulted in real extra shots. Extra shots from "style" never triggered double to my recollection and I did a fair bit of testing on them back then. Similarly, extra shots gained from DS also never triggered more DS; ie. DS is not recursive.

With DS giving double damage instead of an extra shot, you have to parse, which is uh, tedious since it's all by hand. Or, you can math & infer. Assuming you're correct, an INQ with 100 DS would typically end up with 3x base damage on average: 2x bolts per "shot" @ 100/2=50% chance of 2x Damage on each bolt. 3x base is essentially what throwers do. Yet, INQ has both better base and proc/imbue and it still barely exceeds 50% of Thrower DPS in game.

Throwers have a higher ROF (86/m v ~72/m iirc), but that's not enough to explain the roughly 2x higher DPS we see in game. Conclusion is that it's only the main bolt and not all bolts, which (along with thrower ROF) does explain the difference.

Oh, and at risk of further confusing things, I've seen Shiradi/HE apply to both bolts from one trigger pull and sometimes to only one; ie. at least one easily checked damage multiplier in game will sometimes apply to both bolts, but not always.

The code we're dealing with is just plain ridiculously squirrelly. That some imbues are not being doubled also supports that it's not a general doubling per hit on the back end, but rather done up front with specialized code.

This makes it pretty hard to be definitive, but IMHO, the current best way to think of doubleshot is as chance per trigger pull not as chance per hit.

I would honestly far FAR prefer both doublestrike and doubleshot on the back end as straight %increase scalars. Stop calling them "double" anything. This would be more efficient, less confusing, fix all these "my damage isn't being doubled" bugs both now and going forward, and bump up DXB & RXB to match other ranged.

droid327

This makes it pretty hard to be definitive

It really doesnt - its very simple to test. You get a special flyover icon when you proc a Doubleshot. Testing on my inqui right now, I got Doubleshot procs on both my first and second attacks per volley, and whenever I did I only used 2 rounds of ammo as always, and didnt proc a third flyover line. They're using the same Doubleshot mechanics, just at a reduced rate.

Plus the whole point of the Doubleshot revamp was to eliminate "true" extra attacks, since they were computationally taxing. It'd make no sense to leave them in for DXB and RXB.

Other procs might be more squirrely, probably with regards to how they register their ICDs and how that syncs with the client...but Dshot with DXB/RXB is completely transparent and consistent.

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
It's not just bloodsong, I am seeing the exact same behavior with Bleed The Weak in Dark Hunter. I have tried both with Multitude of Missiles with throwing daggers and with a short bow. Have not seen any double shots where the damage of Bleed the Weak has been greater than the non double shots (N > 20) In fact, the damage is averaging slightly lower (but that may just be bad luck). I have done a few double strikes, and it does not look like it is being doubled, but it may be small sample size, there.

If it is just bloodsong and bleed the weak, it may have something to do with the multi-tiered effect of those imbues. I compared this head to head with alchemists poison imbue on the same character, and I was clearly getting double imbue damage on every doubleshot.

Would love to see Bleed the Weak work with doubleshot, but only if the rest of the multi-tier damage keeps working like it is right now.
Anybody else care to test if these multi-tiered imbues (Bloodsong & Bleed the Weak) do indeed get doubled on doublestrike/doubleshot?

Edit: The bug is confirmed (also the scaling might be wrong too in the case of BtW, as well as the damage type).

Last edited: