SSG: Can we have a server in EU region please?

Sylvado

First, bandwidth has no impact at all, there just isn't enough data transmitted to matter. Second, latency does matter but 60 mS is insignificant. Third, ping is not necessarily a reliable indicator of performance, it is a different type of packet. The biggest impact on performance will be your ISP and their lease agreements and any QOS that is applied.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
EU servers have been asked about in the past (via Fridays chat with Severlin). I got the impression that if servers/s came to the EU, LOTR would most likely get first dibs.

TavernBrawler

I don't understand what people are trying to say here - I play Last Epoch with `16-19ms in EU server and DDO with >60ms and the difference is HUGE, especially with lag. And it is dirt cheap to roll a new cloud server in 2024 - SSG just need to shop around better.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

rabidfox

The People's Champion
You'll notice the server side issues a fraction of a second sooner. Very rarely does it seem that network lag is an issue for folks vs the servers getting hung up on various queues.

Kintaya

I don't understand what people are trying to say here - I play Last Epoch with `16-19ms in EU server and DDO with >60ms and the difference is HUGE, especially with lag. And it is dirt cheap to roll a new cloud server in 2024 - SSG just need to shop around better.
Again, cost is not the only consideration. DDO already has too many servers for how few people play it.
Tbh, any more or less stable ping sub-100ms is just fine for DDO. It's not a pvp game, there's no such thing as i-frames, where you need to have perfect timing to avoid damage.
Above 300ms+ or insane jitter is when problems really start cropping up.
Not to mention that when servers start lagging like in DDO - we all get lag-locked, regardless of our geographical location.

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
So wayfinder having the DE in its name means nothing!

r5JoJc1.jpeg

Jeronimo

I'm not sure that it would be necessary. I've played from the EU both in the past when the servers actually were EU based and after the transfer over the pond. I don't remember my actual ping back in the days, but now it's around 100 ms.
I don't remember when I last exerienced lag, it's very rare for me playing on Cannith during low population hours. I do however remember that there used to be a lot of lag issues when the servers were EU based back in 2006-2009.
My suspicion is that the high population servers suffers from more lag than other servers and that it has very little to do with the ping. It would probably be better if SSG focused on getting dedicated servers (instead of virtualized) along with a better hosting provider (IMHO).

Frantik

The ideal solution would be one single DDO server. Then the population would be maxed out permanently, all the Europeans could be logged on at the same time, there would be more LFMs than before.

Hobgoblin

The ideal solution would be one single DDO server. Then the population would be maxed out permanently, all the Europeans could be logged on at the same time, there would be more LFMs than before.
you sweet summer child.

we tried the mega server already.....

it didnt go well

Lacci

you sweet summer child.

it didnt go well
Technically, it should be no problem. WoW handled more players on each of its servers than DDO has in total with less lag, 20 years ago.
But combining all the player and guild names on one server would be a nightmare

LurkingVeteran

All us EU players were moved to Ghallanda back in 2010 or so. If it still has the highest concentration, they could just add the [EU] label to that or at least default EU players to that. I've raised this idea before because yeah, if there is not enough players for one EU server, imagine how hard it is to find groups for EU players spread across all servers during NA off-hours.

Kintaya

you sweet summer child.

it didnt go well
I mean... technically Hardcore is kinda like 1 megaserver.... And from the perspective of LFMing - it's fantastic (at least early on). You can always find/fill a group.
Now from a technical perspective.... the amount of extra lag is funkilling.