SSG: Scrap Epic Destinies and Reaper trees to reduce lag by 90%

Ying

5000+ hours played
And then we had the imbue update that was also supposed to help, in this regard. Again - it didn't(to me) in any noticeable way.
The combat log changes absolutely had a positive impact. I saw it first hand when doing high skull KT. It was incompleteable prior to the combat log changes, and much smoother afterwards. It's obviously not the end-all-be-all of lag fixing. There's still other things that need to be tweaked/refactored. But we haven't heard anything about lag fixes for about a year. And the last time there was a lag fix, it lasted for one day (and worked well!) but was reverted without comment.

Sarandra

The combat log changes absolutely had a positive impact. I saw it first hand when doing high skull KT. It was incompleteable prior to the combat log changes, and much smoother afterwards. It's obviously not the end-all-be-all of lag fixing. There's still other things that need to be tweaked/refactored. But we haven't heard anything about lag fixes for about a year. And the last time there was a lag fix, it lasted for one day (and worked well!) but was reverted without comment.
Or, they made other changes then and you think it's the combat log changes, in reality it was something completely different.

I'm not saying it wasn't the log changes, but logging is generating text and that's typically not something processor heavy.

Pano

This weekend was an horrible experience for players at Orien. Long loading screens, bank windows opening after 15 minutes (and sometimes in middle of the quests), XP/Slayer pots ticking even after logging off etc. While numerous changes have been done over the years, your team has not able to eliminate or even reduce the impact of lag.
The crux of the matter is this: DDO engine is not built to handle around 200 enhancement points (Heroic + Epic Destinies + Reaper trees) on every swing of the players, every hit by the monsters, hundreds of players stepping in and out of dungeons. We never had 10 minute "flying in the air" lag before MoTU and EDs were introduced. This is also why Hardcore servers have little lag even though population is high. Your masters, EG7, has made it clear no funds will be made available to DDO so I have little reason to believe an update to the engine will ever happen or moving to latest cloud tech will somehow materialize. Sometimes you need to chop off your legs to live a bit longer and so this has to be done, however painful it will be for players.

TLDR
: Scrap EDs and replace with class specific feats at level 24, 28, 30, 34, 38 and 40. Scrap reaper trees, and just provide reaper cosmetics on rxp accumulated.
I appreciate that you spell ORIEN correctly ... so rare. Other than that, I have nothing nice I can say about your post. Not signed

LurkingVeteran

it is the stealth players bypassing active mobs.

Dungeon alert was created to discourage the continued presence of active mobs. Reaper (the lower tier ones) autodetect of stealth was instituted for this same reason. They design a quest in which they toss in oozes that have no reason not to munch on the feet of the mobs around them. All a fumbling attempt at resolving the bloated dungeon server overload.

Maybe I will log onto Orien and sneak around a while…Blockade Buster will break a server if done properly.
Not sure if you are serious, but if you can conclusively break a server that way then it seems like an easy fix. It shouldn't be hard to deactivate mobs that have been active for too long / are too far away. DDO has some issues, but too few monsters and too little aggro is not one of them.

pame12

Had a lot of lag recently happen today. I can sort of see a pattern now. It seems hubs are quit bad, and actually, some quests appear to have different levels of lag...

E.g. I was with a group in best laid plans, and when I was in a group of just 2, it was pretty bad, but when I went to another quest it was ok, with the same group, no one did any restarts either or relogs, in fact I think we had another guy join us.

Anyway, I went and did that same quest about 1-2 hours later, with a different group, and the quest just before was ok, but when we started best laid plans, it just went crazy with the lag, worse than last time. It's almost as if each quest has it's own memory leak?

What's even more interesting is that, because of the lag, we were dying a lot. And when we were all dead, the lag was actually ok again, but when we all revived, weren't even doing anything just standing sometimes moving, the lag got really really bad again. And it would get worse the more people revived from the group.

Is there some sort of "watcher" attached to each player in an instance, that keeps track of something, and that thing is having memory leaks or something?

paddymaxson

I doubt there's an easy fix, and certainly I think "get rid of character variety" probabl isn't it, but it was horrific on Argo tonight.

saekee

long live ROGUE
Not sure if you are serious, but if you can conclusively break a server that way then it seems like an easy fix. It shouldn't be hard to deactivate mobs that have been active for too long / are too far away. DDO has some issues, but too few monsters and too little aggro is not one of them.
they have tried implementing recently ways to bring DA down but the mobs remain active

Fallout47

Never said that's the only source of lag. Okay I don't know squat, does SSG know anything? Why aren't they fixing it? Why is lag getting worse update after update? Come on, let anyone from SSG come to this thread and show them their "skill, knowledge" about lag and how they are going to fix it. Anyone SSG?
Been around long enough to know SSG doesn’t know how to fix or even reduce lag. They find it a useful excuse to nerf whatever they feel is over performing. I suspect spending more money on server capacity could help, but I’ve also seen their stinginess over the past 10+ years, so not holding my breath.

paddymaxson

Can we bin Enhancement trees whilst we're about it then?🤔

Seems logical. 😂
Return to 2008. you get FOUR enhancement slots.
Wasn't that just steeper penalties on triggering it? I'm not sure if they have ever tried to deactivate DA faster.
They made mobs give up chasing you sooner and I believe no longer return to their original spawns in those situations to basically dump their AI handling out of active cycles sooner.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Wasn't that just steeper penalties on triggering it? I'm not sure if they have ever tried to deactivate DA faster.
I think they shortened the attention span of mobs not that long ago. Might just have been in wilderness areas mind you. I'll defer to those with better recall than I mind you. 👍

Cheeps

Tired Member
Epic destinies don't really do epic things after the nerf.

If it gets rid of lag, get rid of the destinies?

Reactions: DBZ

Drunken.dx

I may have minimal understanding but I am sure SSG does, so why is it always lagging mate? What's stopping them from fixing it?
So you admit you have no idea what you're talking about, but it doesn't stop you from giving "solutions"...

And on what's stopping SSG...

There is a solution, SSG demonstrated it years ago, but it's probably "fiscally irresponsible" to permanently implement.

popejubal

If what I am saying is untrue or wrong, please tell the devs or system engineers from SSG to correct me in this post and explain why none of their methods seem to not work and lag goes up with every update. We are all awaiting eagerly (and to tons of people who lost their XP/slayer pots even after logging off).
Because spaghetti.

Drunken.dx

they also have the mobs supposedly quit running around sooner and return to their roost
in update that was supposed to "improve" mob behavior when losing aggro, they increased frequency of circling mobs, while occasional before it, it became VERY common afterwards