stats

i was building a paladin class but was looking at classes that go well with paladin and saw two different things compared to each other so i was wondering what stats are important to build in a paladin

comfy

the comfortable
Strength for hitting things, Constitution for taking hits, Charisma for save bonuses + lay on hands + intimidate. Some people also enjoy taking the Magical Training feat and using the Feydark Illusionist tree to allow them to use Charisma to hit things.

l_remmie

You need to decide between strength and charisma for your main stat.

Charisma has great synergy but requires a big investment in a feat and action points in the Feydark tree. It will also cost you DC for tactics and you still need strength if you want to use 2handed fighting. (Having tomes helps a lot)

Going strength is much easier and lets you swing a big stick from lvl1. However your many charisma abilities will never be as strong as you want them to be. Also you won't even be intimidating a paranoid weasel.

Kodewraith

What classes are you thinking about combining? Do you have tomes? That has a lot of bearing on the question.

The normal way to build a paladin is to pick CHA with just enough strength (usually from tomes) to qualify for THF feats OR just go STR and put whatever you have left into CHA/CON. If you have no tomes, go STR. Dragonborn are great since you get more STR and more CHA.

When people say "main stat" they usually mean "the one I put all my level ups into and gear for at the expense of other stats".

CHA vs STR: I've built paladins both ways. The nice thing about Strength is it's usually easier to gear for and it requires no special APs invested in Feydark to hit things. It also gives a nice bonus to DCs for things like stunning blow. CHA pallys usually have much higher saves but you have a minimum of 7 AP in feydark locked down, so less flexibility. Either way you need _some_ Strength to qualify for the THF feat line.

Note that if you're just starting out, usually you want both as high as possible, so even a 16/16 split is fine. The difference doesn't really show up until much higher levels after the level ups kick in.

The one thing you can absolutely do is dump WIS to the lowest possible value. You don't need it at all. You can mostly dump DEX also. INT is not that handy either. You really only need 3 skills Heal, Intimidate, UMD.

misterski

The one thing you can absolutely do is dump WIS to the lowest possible value. You don't need it at all. You can mostly dump DEX also. INT is not that handy either. You really only need 3 skills Heal, Intimidate, UMD.
Err you do need some Wis as a pally but it can be handled by gear and you only need a max of 14 to cast all pally spells. Wis also helps with SP.

Onyxia2016

I have found that once STR is at 15 (for TWF) a +20 or +30 jump pot covers most of the jump skill needed. For the very rare times it does not, pop a heroism pot and if need be strip the heavy armor to get a few extra points. Pally's are so feat and skill point starved out of the gate you are forced to get creative. Also have a crafted ring or rings with plus jump, swim, haggle etc... can come in handy.

Despite there short comings I still love playing a pally

Eleazzar

What I usually run on my Paly's are as follows:

I go Cha based why? Because it synergizes with everything Paly. Cha maxed and all levels.
Wis can be a dump stat BUT you will need Wis 14 for spells sooner or later before 20.
Dex, meh, your an armored beast
Con - 16
Int - put whats left here
Cha Max plus all levels.

SO..with tomes - I have not had less that +6 tomes in years so let the others correct me. below build is for +8 tomes. Also this is a Iconic Bladeforged. You can use pretty much any race IMO.

Just an FYI. You will need to take magical training as a feat to get the Feydark ill Cha to Hit and Dmg OR Warlock for Aura to proc arcane warror or FVS for stances. Below uses Warlock at level 20 will addup to an additional 20 melee when stacked from Aura proc.

Str -14 -
Dex - 10
Con - 16
Int 12 - Yes you need Concentration, UMD, JUMP and Heal.
Wis - dump if you have tomes - remember Wis 14 to cast spells.
Cha - 18

Character name: Pure BF Paly
Classes: 20 Paladin, 10 Epic, 2 Legendary
Race: Bladeforged · · · · ·Alignment: Lawful Good
**+8 Tomes

· · ·Start Tome Final · · ·Incorp:· · ·0% · · ·Displacement:· · 0%
Str:· · 14· · 8 · ·24 · · ·HP:· · · ·1707 · · ·AC:· ·150
Dex:· · 10· · 8 · ·20 · · ·PRR: · · · 183
Con:· · 16· · 8 · ·51 · · ·MRR: · · · ·48 · · ·+Healing Amp:· · 68
Int:· · 12· · 8 · ·29 · · ·Dodge: · 14/25 · · ·-Healing Amp:· · 45
Wis:· · ·6· · 8 · ·31 · · ·Fort:· · ·219% · · ·Repair Amp:· · · 65
Cha:· · 18· · 8 · ·59 · · ·SR:· · · · · 0 · · ·BAB: · · · · · · 25
DR: 2\Adamantine
Immunities: Sleep, Energy Drain, Nausea, Sickness, Exhaustion, Paralysis, Natural Disease, Magical Disease, Super-Natural Disease, Fear, , Magic Missiles, Weapon Durability Damage, Freedom of Movement, Death Effects, Charm, Poison, Petrification

Class and Feat Selection (Consolidated)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Level Class · · · · · ·Feats
1 · · Paladin(1)· · · ·Standard: Two Handed Fighting

2 · · Paladin(2)· · · ·Automatic: Divine Grace

3 · · Paladin(3)· · · ·Standard: Precision

4 · · Paladin(4)· · · ·Charisma: +1 Level up

5 · · Paladin(5)· · · ·Automatic: Improved Heroic Durability

6 · · Paladin(6)· · · ·Standard: Improved Two Handed Fighting

7 · · Paladin(7)· · · ·Automatic: Religious Lore

8 · · Paladin(8)· · · ·Charisma: +1 Level up
·

9 · · Paladin(9)· · · ·Standard: Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

10· · Paladin(10) · · ·Automatic: Improved Heroic Durability

11· · Paladin(11) · · ·Automatic: Religious Lore

12· · Paladin(12) · · ·Standard: Adamantine Body

13· · Paladin(13) · · ·Automatic: Religious Lore

14· · Paladin(14) · · ·Automatic: Religious Lore

15· · Paladin(15) · · ·Standard: Greater Two Handed Fighting

16· · Paladin(16) · · ·Charisma: +1 Level up

17· · Paladin(17) · · ·Automatic: Religious Lore

18· · Paladin(18) · · ·Standard: Force of Personality
·

19· · Paladin(19) · · ·Automatic: Religious Lore

20· · Warlock(1)· · · ·Pact: Empty Feat Slot
· · · · · · · · · · · ·Charisma: +1 Level up

21· · Epic(1) · · · · ·Epic Feat: Overwhelming Critical

22· · Epic(2) · · · · ·Epic Destiny Feat: Perfect Two Handed Fighting
·

23· · Epic(3) · · · · ·Automatic: Epic Power

24· · Epic(4) · · · · ·Epic Feat: Construct Exemplar

25· · Epic(5) · · · · ·Epic Destiny Feat: Doublestrike

26· · Epic(6) · · · · ·Automatic: Epic Knowledge
·

27· · Epic(7) · · · · ·Epic Feat: Epic Damage Reduction

28· · Epic(8) · · · · ·Epic Destiny Feat: Arcane Warrior
·

29· · Epic(9) · · · · ·Automatic: Epic Power

30· · Epic(10)· · · · ·Epic Feat: Bulwark of Defense

31· · Legendary(1)· · ·Epic Destiny Feat: Embodiment of Law
·

32· · Legendary(2)· · ·Charisma: +1 Level up

Onyxia2016

What I usually run on my Paly's are as follows:

I go Cha based why? Because it synergizes with everything Paly. Cha maxed and all levels.
Wis can be a dump stat BUT you will need Wis 14 for spells sooner or later before 20.
Dex, meh, your an armored beast
Con - 16
Int - put whats left here
Cha Max plus all levels.

This build and ones very close to this one seems to be the standard for a Charisma based THF pally.
Ran multiped pally lives using something very close to this and really did not have much on a problem in low reaper.