Stop using gear sets to force a character into a forced play style

Dman1970

I've noticed that a LOT of the gear sets are designed to FORCE a character into a particular way of being played. If you want, say the caster set bonuses from Ravenloft or Sharn, you MUST wear cloth armor. What about playing a more melee style PM/EK or a Sorc EK/FI and you still want the bonuses of the caster, like say the Beacon of Magic set, but you CAN'T because you want more defense from light/medium armor. Why try to make everyone conform to the cookie cutter style. Casters MUST wear robes/cloth to get the set bonuses, but if you go a different route screw you. Even Dark Apostates get screwed over in some sets because it most cleric gear is geared to positive spells but not negative healing and such.
I want to play a melee "Death Knight" style wizard, but I still need bonuses to my spell DCs, Spell Power, SP, etc. It's even worse for hybrid toons. Couldn't sets that are 3 piece have options that DON'T require the armor of a set to be complete, or make the armor used between any set in that packs gear, and your enhancements and proficiencies dictate what you wear? I know that you can mix some sets from different packs to get bonuses, but a lot of the 2 and 3 piece sets from the much older gear can't compare to even the 3 piece sets from Ravenloft, Sharn, etc... It's a bit frustrating trying to play something different when the great sets are made to steer you otherwise.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

DBZ

BTC OE the o e is on equp meaning you can trade sell or whatever you want with it

How much AS would you pay for perfect reaper rings and hats and armors

And you can set up a trading list of all the reaper gear you have to trade for all the gear you want

Last edited:

droid327

The idea about being able to reforge an armor into a different type has a lot of potential for those sets where each of them is essentially a carbon copy of the other versions (like feywild armors).

Why not just make everyone's base armor type a Feat choice like Warforged have (and give a special feat slot for it at L1)? Seems like if you're going to do it, just do it all the way.

Reactions: DBZ

Lazuli

BTC OE the o e is on equp meaning you can trade sell or whatever you want with it

How much AS would you pay for perfect reaper rings and hats and armors

And you can set up a trading list of all the reaper gear you have to trade for all the gear you want
I don't care if it's on equip or not, I don't want more btc, thanks, I don't have space to store them. And I would pay 0 AS, by the way.