Stormsinger core enhancements do not upgrade Lightning Strike damage dice

MisterVan

Bug Report Number:
Reposting from the Tonquin thread, this time with better math (Thanks to The Blonde for catching that).

In a shellnut, the core enhancements in the Stormsinger tree are supposed to upgrade the damage dice on its Lightning Strike proc. It starts at 1d6 per CL, and is supposed to upgrade all the way to 1d6+6 per CL with the capstone.

When controlling for spell power, the damage of the lightning strike hardly changes regardless of cores taken. I did some quick testing to produce some numbers that support this claim.

Testing methodology
  • Level 32 Tiefling Scoundrel, 20 Stormsinger
  • No debuffs, no helplessness on mobs
  • Lightning strikes were proc'd via Sleet Storm, which is casting at CL 26
  • Recorded only non-crit lightning strikes
    • 13 total hits for each round of testing, arbitrarily chosen because I got tired of fishing for lightning strikes
    • Tally up the damage and calculate their average
    • Compare to expected averages based on the damage that lightning strike is supposed to be doing

Round 1 -- Only first 2 cores (base lightning strike proc)
  • 589 electric spell power
  • Lightning Strike is supposed to be doing 1d6 per CL
  • Lightning Strike should be proccing at CL 26 (20 Stormsinger levels + 6 Epic/Legendary Knowledge)
Expected Results
26d6 (averages to ~91) x 6.89 = ~626.99 electric damage average

Actual Results
Recorded hits:
Actual average: ~583.08 electric damage
Sample size is small, so the results deviating from the expected average isn't unexpected. They are at least in the same ballpark.

Round 2 -- All cores including capstone (fully upgraded lightning strike)
  • 588 electric spell power
  • Lightning Strike is supposed to be doing 1d6+6 per CL with capstone
  • Lightning Strike is probably proccing at CL 28 now (20 Stormsinger levels + 2 extra CL from cores, + 6 Epic/Legendary Knowledge)
Expected Results
28d6+168 (averages to ~266) x 6.88 = ~1830.08 average electric damage

Actual Results
Recorded hits:
Actual average: ~618.46 electric damage
The damage of the lightning strike hardly changed compared to Round 1, though it did slightly increase. It could be due to gaining a couple caster levels in the cores (26d6 vs 28d6), it could also just be due to small sample size.

Either way, the damage is nowhere near where it should be. In fact, if the damage dice was actually 1d6+6, these recorded numbers shouldn't even be possible at this spell power, as the damage floor would be much higher. It's a pretty large chunk of damage missing.

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Great job. I'm unsure if the +2 CLs from the cores apply on the Lightning Strike, but that's irrelevant compared to your findings. The real question for the devs to check is which of the three cores (3/4/6) are broken (might be all).

MisterVan

Great job. I'm unsure if the +2 CLs from the cores apply on the Lightning Strike, but that's irrelevant compared to your findings. The real question for the devs to check is which of the three cores (3/4/6) are broken (might be all).
Yeah, I couldn't find a good way to tell what CL it's proccing at. It's definitely above 20, and I don't think it's based on the CL of the spell that sourced it, but that's just an assumption.

Based on the math, if Enhanced Bolt I was working, the 1d6+2 scaling should still have provided a significant bump in damage.

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Yeah, I couldn't find a good way to tell what CL it's proccing at. It's definitely above 20, and I don't think it's based on the CL of the spell that sourced it, but that's just an assumption.

Based on the math, if Enhanced Bolt I was working, the 1d6+2 scaling should still have provided a significant bump in damage.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that:
a) the +2 CLs don't apply on your tests
b) none of the 3 dice-changing cores work

Tonquin

of Lightning Hammer fame!
Reposting from the Tonquin thread, this time with better math (Thanks to The Blonde for catching that).

In a shellnut, the core enhancements in the Stormsinger tree are supposed to upgrade the damage dice on its Lightning Strike proc. It starts at 1d6 per CL, and is supposed to upgrade all the way to 1d6+6 per CL with the capstone.

When controlling for spell power, the damage of the lightning strike hardly changes regardless of cores taken. I did some quick testing to produce some numbers that support this claim.

Testing methodology
  • Level 32 Tiefling Scoundrel, 20 Stormsinger
  • No debuffs, no helplessness on mobs
  • Lightning strikes were proc'd via Sleet Storm, which is casting at CL 26
  • Recorded only non-crit lightning strikes
    • 13 total hits for each round of testing, arbitrarily chosen because I got tired of fishing for lightning strikes
    • Tally up the damage and calculate their average
    • Compare to expected averages based on the damage that lightning strike is supposed to be doing

Round 1 -- Only first 2 cores (base lightning strike proc)
  • 589 electric spell power
  • Lightning Strike is supposed to be doing 1d6 per CL
  • Lightning Strike should be proccing at CL 26 (20 Stormsinger levels + 6 Epic/Legendary Knowledge)

Sample size is small, so the results deviating from the expected average isn't unexpected. They are at least in the same ballpark.

Round 2 -- All cores including capstone (fully upgraded lightning strike)
  • 588 electric spell power
  • Lightning Strike is supposed to be doing 1d6+6 per CL with capstone
  • Lightning Strike is probably proccing at CL 28 now (20 Stormsinger levels + 2 extra CL from cores, + 6 Epic/Legendary Knowledge)

The damage of the lightning strike hardly changed compared to Round 1, though it did slightly increase. It could be due to gaining a couple caster levels in the cores (26d6 vs 28d6), it could also just be due to small sample size.

Either way, the damage is nowhere near where it should be. In fact, if the damage dice was actually 1d6+6, these recorded numbers shouldn't even be possible at this spell power, as the damage floor would be much higher. It's a pretty large chunk of damage missing.
Excellent sleuthing! This has been fixed internally, and will be in an upcoming patch. Thank you!

Xgya

Speaking of Stormsinger, I haven't exactly seen the benefits of granting allies those lightning strikes.
Maybe the scaling when an ally procs one is off too?

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Speaking of Stormsinger, I haven't exactly seen the benefits of granting allies those lightning strikes.
That's easy to test, since Stormsinger's Inspiration applies on your own melee/ranged attacks too.

seph1roth5

It scales off of THEIR electric SP. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work, but unless you're with an EK or xbow arti or something, it's going to be pretty unimpressive.