Symbol of Flame? Is this spell COMPLETELY useless?

Mokune

Damage scaling is whack. Can't kite mobs through it.

Does anyone have any insight into the use of this spell?

Should I just continue to forget about it and ignore it like I have for the 14 years I've played DDO?

saekee

long live ROGUE
Sometimes crummy spells have surprising applications, like glitterdust in mechanic traps or flaming spheres for stealth and odd situations.

That said, I cannot think of anything for this spell that would be clever.

glass_jaws

I would like to know more!
CqHCorGWcAAkL8V.jpg

Lazuli

It's terribad.

I am one of those who try to take full advantage of a wizard's spellbook, but I have not been able to find use for this spell.

Hafeal

Back in the day ... way back ... before TR trains ... when mob HP was lower ... and parties gathered at doors as the choke point for tough fights, symbol spells were part of the set-up.

Fast forward more than a decade ... and that tactical usefulness is irrelevant, even in Reaper, for players.

Lazuli

symbols, dots and clouds that do damage over time need a spell pass, they were forgotten during the previous spell pass.

Also the buff spells, there are many that are currently totally surpassed by the gear. Some utility spells like knock need their mechanics updated as well (spellcraft check instead of CL+ability bonus check) for example

droid327

There are so many useless spells in all the spellbooks

Some might be salvageable with a big update devoted to a spellbook pass...but ultimately there are probably just too many spells in the game. They cant all be useful, because there's only so many useful things spells can do. Especially as mechanics like stat drain and neg-leveling have become structurally pointless.

Symbols also have the functional disadvantage of being defensive spells in a game where we're constantly on offense.

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
I use Symbol of Pain on my tank as an aoe agro puller. /shrug

But wasn't there a tooltip text like, if you cast 5 symbols close together something volatile happens? I never tried it but always wanted to.

Striga

Gnomes have an illusory variant of this spell as their dragonmark. And it's just as bad as the spell.