Thanks SSG by players that bought XP potions for reaper pass expected in 2023.

Br4d

I would hazard to say that there is some wisdom in not buying rims for a car you don't own yet. 🧙‍♂️

Cash doesn't go on double bonus points ever and rims rarely if ever go on 25% sale. On the bright side however sometimes you get to buy a cool-as-hell mount for an almost earthly price if you did stockpile points.

TavernBrawler

Thanks SSG by players that bought XP potions to raise RXP for reaper pass expected in 2023.
Yes. Some people spent real money on XP pots from the store to get more RXP considering that you said "Reaper overhaul was planned in 2023 but we will do in 2024".
Totally missed this. What is this RXP reaper pass and what was supposed to happen?

Buddha5440

I honestly have a hard time believing their's a substantial angry mob who have this very unwise and very specific buying behavior. And even if many did this as you're implying, I think at least most of them would realize it was a bad decision on their part.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, as the saying goes.
There really was... They all bought their tinderboxes and pitchforks and were ready to go...Unfortunately the torches never got delivered. :(

Valerianus

Former Captain Of The Rotten Shark
Right?!? You put up a brand new store front, but you leave content in it that has expired?!?

really it's inconceivable why the ddo store does not look like a store, but rather like a dusty ruined flooded abandoned warehouse after an earthquake.

Br4d

really it's inconceivable why the ddo store does not look like a store, but rather like a dusty ruined flooded abandoned warehouse after an earthquake.

I think the new store is less usable than the old one. The items in the display to the right are just awkward to use. They might be better on a higher resolution monitor but they are pretty bad on a 1920x1080.

Shardrena

Not sure what people are expecting a "reaper pass" to entail that makes them think they need to grind more rxp, but whatever. The system hasn't changed at all since it was first introduced. By comparison, I think we're on the 5th or 6th version of the enhancement system. And the entire Epic Destiny system got a complete overhaul at least once.

Anyone remember the original enhancement system? All enhancements cost 1 AP to buy, and you did so by swapping them in one of your FOUR enhancement slots? Stronger versions of a given enhancement had to replace lower tier versions of it, and you could only have 4 total. Nothing to update this level and you already have 4 enhancements? Then that level's 4 AP were wasted since each level started with 0 AP. It wasn't a bad system, but the next version that added the option for prestige classes via enhancement lines was so much better.

Valerianus

Former Captain Of The Rotten Shark
I think the new store is less usable than the old one. The items in the display to the right are just awkward to use. They might be better on a higher resolution monitor but they are pretty bad on a 1920x1080.

what it bugs me, it's not the look of the game, i like ddo as it looks, old-style, my point is that the store is full of trash, not wares.

Br4d

what it bugs me, it's not the look of the game, i like ddo as it looks, old-style, my point is that the store is full of trash, not wares.

The store has lots of actual wares in it. However many of the most valuable are use once only and then of no further value to a character. That's why it seems barren at times.

A long time ago, along about 2013 or maybe 2015, there were incentives to play multiple characters because you'd cap out your main and then you'd buy all that stuff all over again for an alt or two. Those days are gone now and DDO probably only sees tome purchases when an HCL starts.

I have at least 6 characters on various servers that are completely tomed out (as of +6 tomes) that I never play because DDO punishes you hard for not staying on your main. How does it punish you? The devs make more grind that you will have trouble ever accessing if you don't focus on the main. In truth most of us will never make what is currently in play but getting slapped across the face by additional stuff never feels good.

Reaped and Ravaged

Cash doesn't go on double bonus points ever and rims rarely if ever go on 25% sale.
The cost of things like Homes in a recession are the equivalent of double bonus points. Condos in Las Vegas, for example, that went on sale for 85k in 2013 and are now worth almost 300k in these overheated times or 250k single family homes that dropped almost 50% during the last housing crash. Prices don't always go up unless its something like Genuine Rolexes.

Genkiba

The store has lots of actual wares in it. However many of the most valuable are use once only and then of no further value to a character. That's why it seems barren at times.

A long time ago, along about 2013 or maybe 2015, there were incentives to play multiple characters because you'd cap out your main and then you'd buy all that stuff all over again for an alt or two. Those days are gone now and DDO probably only sees tome purchases when an HCL starts.

I have at least 6 characters on various servers that are completely tomed out (as of +6 tomes) that I never play because DDO punishes you hard for not staying on your main. How does it punish you? The devs make more grind that you will have trouble ever accessing if you don't focus on the main. In truth most of us will never make what is currently in play but getting slapped across the face by additional stuff never feels good.
Which isn't unique to DDO. FF14 also punishes those who want to play multiple characters, since they have to go through the lengthy story every time.

Br4d

Which isn't unique to DDO. FF14 also punishes those who want to play multiple characters, since they have to go through the lengthy story every time.

DDO does it worse than any other non-Korean MMO. The grind is 100% oppressive and lots of power hides behind it. Then the grind gets worse and generally in a way that punishes people not already there much more than people ready for it. This is because of the increased drop rates on named items for the first month or two. After that drop rate goes down and people who didn't jump on it will have a longer grind later on.

Shardrena

since they have to go through the lengthy story every time.

Were you aware of the Story Skips FFXIV sells on a per character basis? Which let you skip ahead to jump right into the expansion you bought a skip to? And were you aware that some MMO players see the real game starting at level 1 instead of at the level cap when you start grinding end-game raids? There's a fair number of players that see reaching the level cap with a character as a journey, not a destination. And once they reach the level cap, they may run any given endgame raid once or twice, then roll up a new character so they can enjoy the journey some more. Even more so with FFXIV since that is an MMO that does have a storyline due to it being a Final Fantasy game. And Final Fantasy fans have no issues with going through a 40-300 hour story multiple times.

Granted, other then playing a different race, there's no real need to play more then 1 character in FFXI or FFXIV, because you can play and level every single class on one character.

Genkiba

Were you aware of the Story Skips FFXIV sells on a per character basis? Which let you skip ahead to jump right into the expansion you bought a skip to? And were you aware that some MMO players see the real game starting at level 1 instead of at the level cap when you start grinding end-game raids? There's a fair number of players that see reaching the level cap with a character as a journey, not a destination. And once they reach the level cap, they may run any given endgame raid once or twice, then roll up a new character so they can enjoy the journey some more. Even more so with FFXIV since that is an MMO that does have a storyline due to it being a Final Fantasy game. And Final Fantasy fans have no issues with going through a 40-300 hour story multiple times.

Granted, other then playing a different race, there's no real need to play more then 1 character in FFXI or FFXIV, because you can play and level every single class on one character.
I'm aware. Are you aware of how many people don't like to wade through 40-300 hours of story so they can play with their friends? Are you aware the story was cut to make it somewhat shorter for new players?

PraetorPlato

DDO does it worse than any other non-Korean MMO. The grind is 100% oppressive and lots of power hides behind it. Then the grind gets worse and generally in a way that punishes people not already there much more than people ready for it. This is because of the increased drop rates on named items for the first month or two. After that drop rate goes down and people who didn't jump on it will have a longer grind later on.
Long-term r10 drop rates seem within ~5% of advertised (closer to 37% than 43%, which is admittedly odd). Are you suggesting that rates are way higher than that for the first month? That doesn't match with my experience—ransacking a chest on release day tends to result in about the expected number of items (getting better than ~5% resolution is really hard, but nothing screams "this is super high")

Last edited:

Shardrena

I'm aware. Are you aware of how many people don't like to wade through 40-300 hours of story so they can play with their friends? Are you aware the story was cut to make it somewhat shorter for new players?

Yes, I'm aware of both things. Did you know the single biggest thing preventing people from having alts in FFXI and FFXIV though? It's not the lengthy story. The story is actually pretty good, and people willingly play through it again, multiple times. And if you don't want to play through the story, you can pay to skip to the current expansion. No, the limiting factor is actually the fact you have to pay a monthly subscription per character. And this is in addition to the monthly subscription just to be able to log in. Granted, it comes to about $15 a month for 1 char and a monthly sub. Still, THAT is the way those two games penalize you for having alts.

Can you imagine the outrage if horders had to pay a separate monthly subscription for every one of their "mule" characters?

Genkiba

Yes, I'm aware of both things. Did you know the single biggest thing preventing people from having alts in FFXI and FFXIV though? It's not the lengthy story. The story is actually pretty good, and people willingly play through it again, multiple times. And if you don't want to play through the story, you can pay to skip to the current expansion. No, the limiting factor is actually the fact you have to pay a monthly subscription per character. And this is in addition to the monthly subscription just to be able to log in. Granted, it comes to about $15 a month for 1 char and a monthly sub. Still, THAT is the way those two games penalize you for having alts.

Can you imagine the outrage if horders had to pay a separate monthly subscription for every one of their "mule" characters?
Actually, the subscription is per account, not per character. You can have 8 characters per world, 40 per data center, with multiple data centers on each account.
The limiting factor is if you want more than one job on your character, you start over at the beginning with the new job. There are 19 jobs + blue mage + 2 more coming soon. Try paying for job skip 19 times.

Not to mention the 8 crafters + 3 gathers you need to level up since crafting is cross-skill based.

Hoarders are screwed though. There is limited personal space. Your backpack + 2 retainers. If you want more retainers? You have to rent them for real money per month. Want all 10 retainers? You need to also subscribe to the app for an additional $5 per month.

Last edited:

Shardrena

Huh, must have changed that. Because even a few months ago it was pay the monthly fee plus pay for each character.

EDIT:
Wait, no, I was right. You have an 8 character limit, true. However the pricing can be seen here. Looks like they rolled the montly fee and per character fees into one, and made tiers where you can pay extra for multiple char slots. It was $1 a month per character slot.