That was a rippoff

Miahoo

Otto boxes are cheats imho.
I understand why people buy them, but have no sympathy to anyone who does.
Sadly it interduce whales to DDO and making SSG tons of money.

l_remmie

Caveat emptor.

You just don't live in a world where you can take things at face value. Yes it's kinda a ripoff, Yes it's obscure on purpose and yes it's very easy to make that mistake.

In the end just be thankful you got a cheap reminder out of this instead of your identity (and your pension) stolen.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
why would ever buy anything for epic levels? they go so fast sometimes I wish I could slow myself down so I can get my slayers crap setup.

HoopleHead

Avoid Boxes... they are a BAD deal... and can become habitual.. people wanting to box a set of lives they REALLY don't want to run.. & are too impatient to put in the time & work... again... and again... I know a guy who got impatient with having a maxed out/capped toon, so he boxed numerous sets of lives, plus most Epics, iconics etc.. then his wife found out how much he spent and we never saw him online again

Weaponalpha

What if a newer person doesn't know what ddo wiki is? More importantly, is ddo wiki always accurate?

People spending money on the game is always a good thing for the game as a whole. People spending money than having buyer's remorse isn't. That situation doesn't work for anyone.
OP knows how to use a computer. Knows about forums. Knows that a certain amount of xp is required to achieve each level. Knows that an Epic Box gives base 2 mil xp. Knows about xp pots and other xp boosts since they used them. Op uses xp stone and gains enough xp to lvl from 21 to 25. If they used the stone and only recieved 1 mil xp that would be a rip off. This is known as buyers remorse. They wish they would not have bought it. That is not on DDO in anyway. Again, the product delivered as promised. If you do not like the product do not buy it.

Lazuli

Don't abuse the OP. Maybe rip off is not the right word if we speak strictly, but the reality is that this box is a very bad deal and in an informal sense we can talk about rip off.

But let's leave the word rip off aside. It is true that epic box is a very bad deal and that Turbine/SSG played dirty when, by increasing the xp that was needed in epics, they did not replace the old Otto box with what is today the improved epic box. No, they created a new box at a ridiculous price and that is having very little respect for their clients.

It must also be said that a lot of blame must be placed on the community here, because if the players had vigorously opposed this movement, they would not have done it. But the players consented, so we have what we have.

All Otto boxes are overpriced since they do not give a full life. But the epics in particular are ridiculous. My advice: avoid them. If you want to spend money, a couple of slayer pots will be cheaper and give you more experience.

Redtalktree

All Otto boxes are overpriced since they do not give a full life. But the epics in particular are ridiculous. My advice: avoid them. If you want to spend money, a couple of slayer pots will be cheaper and give you more experience.

True dat, lots if wilderness area giving a good slayer XP, orchard, gianthold.thunderholme .barovia, feywild, cogs and dread you can literally go from 20 -30 in a few hours with xp pot and slayersif you get a good group going

Edit forgot kings forest too, that one should be done @20 first

Dragavon

It takes 8,250,000 to get from Level 20 to 30, according to DDOWiki

The stone gives 4,000,000 XP, which would land you at where you landed, which is level 25 + 2 ranks

30% pot makes that 5,200,000 XP, which would have landed you 50,000 short of 27

You clearly didn't have an XP pot on when you popped the stone.
You do not know what you are talking about.

Redtalktree

You do not know what you are talking about.
I done it on some of my epic lives with improved ottos with masters 5%. 50% sovereign xp pot,15% bonus weekend, ship 5%, and that normally boost me literally past 28, the one time the sov pot ran out and had 30% pot running its only got to 27 and that one was a bit painful run getting to 29 on cogs slayers

Mordenkainen

I would prefer they remove Otto's boxes altogether from the game. Perhaps replacing it with a 100% super XP potion.

It's overall harmful to the game and the players.

But I bet it makes SSG a ton of money so no go on that end.

mikarddo

It is obviously sad that someone feels ripped off, even if it was their own fault. It is still bad for the game when a player is not happy with their purchase.

I dont mind Ottos boxes though. Most of those buying them know exactly what they are doing and seem happy to spend the money. I dont mind them supporting SSG with a lot of money that way.

Normally, I would oppose such p2w but DDO has so many past lives that even if you purchase 30 Ottos boxes you only made a small dent and if you are willing to spend an absurd amount of money to buy them all I am very happy to let you as that means SSG earns a lof of money and can continue developing DDO despite a small playerbase. That - and boxes do not buy you skill, knowledge, gear or reaper points so you still have to play the game alot.

Mordenkainen

It is obviously sad that someone feels ripped off, even if it was their own fault. It is still bad for the game when a player is not happy with their purchase.

I dont mind Ottos boxes though. Most of those buying them know exactly what they are doing and seem happy to spend the money. I dont mind them supporting SSG with a lot of money that way.

Normally, I would oppose such p2w but DDO has so many past lives that even if you purchase 30 Ottos boxes you only made a small dent and if you are willing to spend an absurd amount of money to buy them all I am very happy to let you as that means SSG earns a lof of money and can continue developing DDO despite a small playerbase. That - and boxes do not buy you skill, knowledge, gear or reaper points so you still have to play the game alot.

But what they could do is just give you the levels. Like what they do in LOTRO.

Just simply, if you use this box it'll take you to level 20 or take you to level 30 or whatever. Instead of this little mini-game you have to play with the boxes .. aka on certain XP events + don't forget your masters voice + don't forget to have a sov pot running + don't forget to be VIP etc. etc. etc.

I mean the boxes are so expensive that it should warrant a simple "level up" rather than this quasi-scammy switch n' bait.

Or, just sell the boxes for cash $$ only. I would support this confidently. I want SSG to get a straight-up dollar injection and if someone wants to donate to SSG $2,000 to "get to the end" then they should be allowed to. It should be in the store and be permanent and constantly available.

TavernBrawler

Thank you for supporting the game and keeping the lights on! This game needs more people like you so others can enjoy the game. I hope you keep buying boxes (is it 300 boxes for a 3x completionist on a single toon?) for the good of the game. Cheers!

Mordenkainen

To be fair, they go a lot slower when you start running out of first time bonuses.
That's why you set yourself up with a bunch of slayer XP completed to the second to last or last tier. So second epic life won't be as much of a slog.

Bricks

Fair enough, I've just hated them from day one of them being released, been hounded off the forums more then once by peeps with 'no time, but cash'