The classic DnD items need a boost

Dragavon

I was doing good old Stormcleave a couple of days ago, and nostalgia hit me when I looted a pair of Lesser Boots of Striding and Springing. I have also looted a pair of gauntlets of ogre power this life.

This made me think about these old items, that where in game at launch, and are classic items from the DnD game. They where really nice back then, but in todays game they are not really relevant anymore. I think they should get upgrades so they become relevant to use again today.

Reactions: Eme
Upvote 4

FuzzyDuck81

There's a few that stil hold up well like the sun blade & the mace of smiting, but for many of the others I agree, especially with how the scaling on randomly generated loot has changed to give better stats at lower levels. At the minimum, adjusting those items' MLs to beat the scaling curve would be pretty nice - for your example of the ogre power gauntlets i think they're ML9, make em ML2 or 3 instead, they're still single effect items so there's your tradeoff for the extra power. It's not like you can farm those named items anywhere except Garamol's chest (on a much higher level character) so giving them a boost to make them notable again would make them a nice surprise to find.

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
I was doing good old Stormcleave a couple of days ago, and nostalgia hit me when I looted a pair of Lesser Boots of Striding and Springing. I have also looted a pair of gauntlets of ogre power this life.

This made me think about these old items, that where in game at launch, and are classic items from the DnD game. They where really nice back then, but in todays game they are not really relevant anymore. I think they should get upgrades so they become relevant to use again today.
There are your regular Boots of Striding and Springing.

Gauntlets of Ogre Power should have different bonus to Strength than an Enhancement bonus. It should also be a +2 bonus instead of a +4 bonus, but only as long as it was not an Enhancement bonus to Strength.

In D&D v3.5 and 3.0, Gauntlets of Ogre Power could stack with a Belt of Giant Strength as long as you were wielding a Hammer of Thunderbolts.

In ALL versions of D&D you HAD to be wearing both of those items in order to use a Hammer of Thunderbolts properly.

That's one Minor Artifact I'd really like to see added to DDO. The Hammer of Thunderbolts is an amazing item.

Purr

Gauntlets/belt/Dwarven thrower would be a great set to create when the do the thrower build pass. Maybe that could be the dwarf iconic?

saekee

long live ROGUE
I like the idea of some named items that drop in any chest. I think the Wondrous wheelon item generator should be used in exceptional cases more often.
PLIS, the gauntlets, luck blade etc great stuff, yes buff the weaker ones

Uska

Founder
There are your regular Boots of Striding and Springing.

Gauntlets of Ogre Power should have different bonus to Strength than an Enhancement bonus. It should also be a +2 bonus instead of a +4 bonus, but only as long as it was not an Enhancement bonus to Strength.

In D&D v3.5 and 3.0, Gauntlets of Ogre Power could stack with a Belt of Giant Strength as long as you were wielding a Hammer of Thunderbolts.

In ALL versions of D&D you HAD to be wearing both of those items in order to use a Hammer of Thunderbolts properly.

That's one Minor Artifact I'd really like to see added to DDO. The Hammer of Thunderbolts is an amazing item.
Had a friend get hammer of thunderbolts gauntlets and belt of fire giant strength he and all of the items were destroyed by a pit trap with a sphere of anihalation at the bottom even a wish couldn’t bring him back this was in 1st edition

saekee

long live ROGUE
Had a friend get hammer of thunderbolts gauntlets and belt of fire giant strength he and all of the items were destroyed by a pit trap with a sphere of anihalation at the bottom even a wish couldn’t bring him back this was in 1st edition
one vicious DM!

The Narc

Thi
There's a few that stil hold up well like the sun blade & the mace of smiting, but for many of the others I agree, especially with how the scaling on randomly generated loot has changed to give better stats at lower levels. At the minimum, adjusting those items' MLs to beat the scaling curve would be pretty nice - for your example of the ogre power gauntlets i think they're ML9, make em ML2 or 3 instead, they're still single effect items so there's your tradeoff for the extra power. It's not like you can farm those named items anywhere except Garamol's chest (on a much higher level character) so giving them a boost to make them notable again would make them a nice surprise to find.
This is probably the best solution to making these items have any relevance in the game anymore, could suggest tagging any utterly useless old school items with a “classic item” tag, then have a device that combined with siberys dragon shards can upgrade the classic item to have its minimum level lowered by up to 6 levels(each upgrade lowers the level by one and cost a certain amount of siberys). I dont think it would be game breaking as most people run with sets anyways and these are mostly heroic items that no one would ever slot but it would add some flavour and open discussions in the future to tag items with the “classic tag” so that obsolete items could be given a second life.