The Dojo instance feels weirdly laggy

Orchidblossomwasgutted

I dont know what it is but i feel like someone in here is intentially staying in the instance lagging it out, Perhaps another Guild Renown Spammer trying to sabotage DPS times

Orchidblossomwasgutted

I say this because the Dojo Lags kinda hard weirdly whenever those players that can get Sub 10 Second Boss Kobold Times are Present, Im generating Suspicion about it till it is Professionally looked at behind the scenes,

The Lag Goes away whenever those players Log off. Ponder THAT for a Moment!

PLEASE SOMEONE CHECK IT OUT

SteelStar

Senior Systems Designer
I say this because the Dojo Lags kinda hard weirdly whenever those players that can get Sub 10 Second Boss Kobold Times are Present, Im generating Suspicion about it till it is Professionally looked at behind the scenes,

The Lag Goes away whenever those players Log off. Ponder THAT for a Moment!

PLEASE SOMEONE CHECK IT OUT
Test Kobolds were never meant for player use, and are very inefficient for performance. We've looked into removing them before; if they're causing enough performance issues where it interferes with players' ability to preview what's new on Lamannia, they should likely be removed.

Dom

Test Kobolds were never meant for player use, and are very inefficient for performance. We've looked into removing them before; if they're causing enough performance issues where it interferes with players' ability to preview what's new on Lamannia, they should likely be removed.
Tell me you don't like that the players have the ability to use the test kobolds without telling me you don't like that the players have the ability to use the test kobolds.

Rather than finding a work around, such as reducing the amount of test kobolds perhaps, they may just get removed? There should be a better way to address that issue.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I use the kobolds for regular testing. On the latest lam, I was able to quickly test the new rune arm and realize that it wasn't doing any blast damage nor was the dripping with magma working. The feedback on machrotechnic and the bug with multi-hit rune arms was the result of spending ages using various rune arms over and over again on dummies to observe the results; that kind of stuff gets missed in the heat of battle in quests. Being able to strip naked with just selective new items equipped or specific enhancements/EDs picked allows for good feedback; trying to reproduce problems and give those instructions to the dev team is easiest when I don't have to also stay alive in a quest while testing. I'd be content with a new test bed quest added to the market place where you put some test dummy kobolds in there including a few million HP raid boss that just stand around and take the hits rather then them being the general open area of the dojo; can put that same new quest on live too as many bugs go live and it's equally hard to pin down and report why they're occuring there.

droid327

We dont need Test Kobolds to actually give us all the feedback they measure, which I suspect is the reason they're so laggy

How about you just add a portal to a separate instance where there's a variety of Test Mobs that just sit there and respawn? The TTK and combat logs, in a controlled and risk free environment without limited targets, are really the important part. And having some undead, construct, etc. mobs would help test out different situational abilities better, too.

Zaszgul

There's no good reason for mobs with basically 0 AI and a plethora of immunities to have significant impact performance when getting beat on.

Solve the underlying issue there and maybe you'll finally be on the right track to solving a lot of the lag we see on live.

Orchidblossomwasgutted

No .. please do not remove them, i like the kobolds either that or puttem on one of the Airship hookpoints so players can have theyre own instances without interruptions from other players

Orchidblossomwasgutted

There's no good reason for mobs with basically 0 AI and a plethora of immunities to have significant impact performance when getting beat on.

Solve the underlying issue there and maybe you'll finally be on the right track to solving a lot of the lag we see on live.
EXACTLY /signed

SteelStar

Senior Systems Designer

As the person that built them, we know what the underlying issue causing that is - they're built in an inefficient way that we would never (and have never!) used on anything intended to actually be used by players. They're a hack meant for certain kinds of internal testing where that kind of performance issue wouldn't be relevant.

Nothing about them has any relevant meaning to any Live performance issues.

Dom

As the person that built them, we know what the underlying issue causing that is - they're built in an inefficient way that we would never (and have never!) used on anything intended to actually be used by players. They're a hack meant for certain kinds of internal testing where that kind of performance issue wouldn't be relevant.

Regardless of whether or not those kobolds are the source of performance issues, removing them is a terrible idea. The reality is that SSG's real QA team is the player base, and a lot of the feedback (as Sardonic/Rabidfox already mentioned above) on things that aren't working or could be improved comes directly from players being able to test builds and new items on those kobolds.

Natashaelle

Time Bandit

Could it help to make a Llama-land exclusive instanced Kill the Kobolds in the Sewer "quest" ?

droid327

Regardless of whether or not those kobolds are the source of performance issues, removing them is a terrible idea. The reality is that SSG's real QA team is the player base, and a lot of the feedback (as Sardonic/Rabidfox already mentioned above) on things that aren't working or could be improved comes directly from players being able to test builds and new items on those kobolds.

Agreed...but I fear the devs may be upset about how many players just use Lama for dojo testing and dont actually go out and play the new content

The real solution, of course, is to just leave Lama open after the testing period, so players can sandbox between previews, and then wipe it when the next preview hits. But they wont do that, so they'll just take away the dojo and try to force us to test in quests. Which wont work anyway, because we'll just go to old quests that we know the benchmarks for, rather than the new quests we have no comparison for...so they'll still get bad feedback about new content, but also get worse feedback about combat mechanics too