The Dreaming Dark - Seems impossibile without Feather falling or High Jump (CLOSED)

Astroliere

I've recently done "The Dreaming Dark" quest and realized that i could not complete it. The Light Gravity effect doesn't reach the last jump so if you dont have feather fall or a high jump it is from what i've tested, impossible making the quest unfeasible to complete.
I've done 4 runs of the quest to see how to deal with this problem. In the end, with my current stats, the only way i could get to the other side is by exploiting the map respawn mechanic by using an item with feather fall and getting as close to the head as possibile gliding under it and entering the next "box area" that respawned me to the other side.

I'll include a link to the video to show how the quest seems impossible with my character at least (don't judge my build, i'm just a dragon without wings).
I would suggest to increase, if possible, the area on which the buff is active at least to the edge of the platform so that it can be reached with feather fall. Or just increase it to the other platform.

Yeah, i've seen some walkthrough but most of those people have high jump and the only tactic i could replicate would be jumping before the end of the zone and glide to the platform but that means that i would need feather fall and i don't really use it cause the games seems to phase me while using it.

Link: "
" 5:17 onwards

Astroliere of the Stolen Name

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Even though in my opinion it's inexcusable to not have a decent jump and featherfall available at level 20, I do agree that extending the light gravity to cover the area in question sounds reasonable.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
At ~4:10 in, jump in the light gravity area and you'll make to the sideways platform. If you go any further forward then you'll lose the light gravity before jumping and won't make it.
1SDpVL2.png

Astroliere

At ~4:10 in, jump in the light gravity area and you'll make to the sideways platform. If you go any further forward then you'll lose the light gravity before jumping and won't make it.
1SDpVL2.png
I tried and i recall i couldn't, the light gravity area doesn't reach the platform so even if you jump before you'll get normal gravity before reaching the platform and fall. I'll try again in the afternoon to check and post my finding.

Astroliere

Even though in my opinion it's inexcusable to not have a decent jump and featherfall available at level 20, I do agree that extending the light gravity to cover the area in question sounds reasonable.
I don't usually use feather fall cause it has a strange phase when you fall and try to take a ledge, and my character is second life and doesn't have a high Int so i get 1 point per level that i use on other skills, i could get some potions of jump or items but that seems unnecessary untill now.
I understand making some optional requiring a high skill but not for the main objective, it's not a great design for a casual player at least and i don't think this situation is meant, i think they just forgot to increase the Light Gravity Area to cover the last jump.

Astroliere

So, i've done a few runs to check the suggested path and yeah, with difficulties duo to lag/"how the games has always worked for me", it seems possible to complete (Even if i couldn't do the last jump i think that with the right timing or feather fall it could be possibile).
The path i'll show seems the only one that allows my character to progresso, all other path weren't possibile cause of the "Light Gravity effect" wearing off.

I still advise to increase the effect box to make that part of the quest more accessible to new players.

Jump path "
"

Thanks for the help,

Lagin

I've recently done "The Dreaming Dark" quest and realized that i could not complete it. The Light Gravity effect doesn't reach the last jump so if you dont have feather fall or a high jump it is from what i've tested, impossible making the quest unfeasible to complete.
I've done 4 runs of the quest to see how to deal with this problem. In the end, with my current stats, the only way i could get to the other side is by exploiting the map respawn mechanic by using an item with feather fall and getting as close to the head as possibile gliding under it and entering the next "box area" that respawned me to the other side.

I just ran it 3 days ago, solo, elite at lvl. Dwarf pally. Completed it in 20 minutes. Had no jump and/or light gravity issues. Even the optional jump to top of pillar for a chance to get Eardweller was WAI.

Astroliere

I just ran it 3 days ago, solo, elite at lvl. Dwarf pally. Completed it in 20 minutes. Had no jump and/or light gravity issues. Even the optional jump to top of pillar for a chance to get Eardweller was WAI.
Yeah, probably cause you have spent some point into jump. As you can see in the video i posted, it is not easy to get around this quest without feather fall or a high jump skill. It's not impossibile but it's really hard and cause of lag/"how the games works for me" it's a waste of effort.
Thank for the comment but you haven't understood the problem.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
So, i've done a few runs to check the suggested path and yeah, with difficulties duo to lag/"how the games has always worked for me", it seems possible to complete (Even if i couldn't do the last jump i think that with the right timing or feather fall it could be possibile).
The path i'll show seems the only one that allows my character to progresso, all other path weren't possibile cause of the "Light Gravity effect" wearing off.

I still advise to increase the effect box to make that part of the quest more accessible to new players.

Jump path "
"

Thanks for the help,
You're still moving forward too fast and leaving the low grav field too soon. But really, getting a jump item, str item, and jump pot (either +10 from marketplace or grab a +30 from white plume) to bump up the jump skill is silly easy to do; can just visit the AH and grab whatever is on there.

Lagin

Yeah, probably cause you have spent some point into jump. As you can see in the video i posted, it is not easy to get around this quest without feather fall or a high jump skill. It's not impossibile but it's really hard and cause of lag/"how the games works for me" it's a waste of effort.
Thank for the comment but you haven't understood the problem.
Jump pots are sold in the marketplace. feather fall items are all over the AH (all servers)

Alco

I am not sure what the issues is. You are complaining that a mechanic that requires a very common and widely used effect that nearly every other character has, but yours doesn't, prevents you from completing the quest? Two thoughts come to mind:

1) Get a FF item. Swap it on when jumping and swap it out when done.
2) Not all quests should be doable by naked characters with no resources. This is the end of a chain at the top of the heroic levels - there has to be some competence and gearing expected. Some quests have mechanics and requirements to complete - ie, TS needs STR for levers and INT for runes. This is how the game is set up and played.

Expecting DDO to change a quest because you, and possibly only you, are not prepared is a ridiculous suggestion.

Astroliere

I am not sure what the issues is. You are complaining that a mechanic that requires a very common and widely used effect that nearly every other character has, but yours doesn't, prevents you from completing the quest? Two thoughts come to mind:

1) Get a FF item. Swap it on when jumping and swap it out when done.
2) Not all quests should be doable by naked characters with no resources. This is the end of a chain at the top of the heroic levels - there has to be some competence and gearing expected. Some quests have mechanics and requirements to complete - ie, TS needs STR for levers and INT for runes. This is how the game is set up and played.

Expecting DDO to change a quest because you, and possibly only you, are not prepared is a ridiculous suggestion.
The game, untill now, was set up in a manner (at least from all the quest i did so i could be wrong) that it could be completed without need of a certain stats or skill. Certain optional are made to be achievable only with certain stats and that's by design. What i don't think is by design is that that the last part of that platform doesn't have the "light gravity" effect. Why? Simple, it only happens in that part of thenplatform for no reason, in the whole other quest i haven't seen that design choice and seems a mistake by the developer that i would like to, if it is a mistake, get fixed, or if it is a design choice, to critique it as a design choise in a game that i dont't recall has ever made this kind of choice.

Two things i would like to point out about this post:
-i don't think the game should change for me, but i wanted to point out a bad design and a possible issue that could be changed.
-not everyone knows everything about how the game works or has a perfect character. Don't expect everything is expected.
- talking about the issue only two people understood the problem and gave a good solution that wasn't a variant of "you should just use potion, spend point in jump or just get feather fall, you should know this"
- the whole post is based on the fact the you cannot complete this quest without high jump or feather fall so pointing out "get them" is pretty useless i think.

If you anyone finds a quest that has this strange design (not an optional) i would like to know it so i can do avoid it (i know of one already that cannot be completed solo for exemple, expect if you dont buy certain things).

P.s: if you've seen the last video you could see that there is a problem with the ledge grab mechanic, if anyone has an explanation of that and of the phase while jumping i would like to know how it works and a possible fix. If you need to point out "well if you had a high jump and feather fall you would not need the ledge grab" don't even reply.

Last edited:

Lagin

ok, I tested it again, the only way the low gravity doesn't work, is a single dream weaver is back over that small bridge. I tested 3 times to make sure. It doesn't spawn same time the others do, until you cross back over that bridge. It's not a bug, just the way that area works apparently.

Astroliere

ok, I tested it again, the only way the low gravity doesn't work, is a single dream weaver is back over that small bridge. I tested 3 times to make sure. It doesn't spawn same time the others do, until you cross back over that bridge. It's not a bug, just the way that area works apparently.
Seems strange, i've done this quest multiple times and everytime i fell i had to get back to the same platform, never saw an extra dream weaver anywhere and the effect worked activated as intended when all monsters where killed in the zone, if i missed one the effect on the zone would not activate. The effect works the problem is that the last bit of the platform doesn't seem to be counted as being that zone.
I even did a video and seeing it again i don't see any dream eater left. If you have proof of what you are saying i'll gladly accept it and check on it.
Thanks for the reply.

hanul

I did this quest multiple times with clerics with no jump skill invested and tower shield . I would use feather fall and boots of jump (like +10-+14 maybe? so maybe I would have even less than 10 because of the armor and shield). Normally the problem is that a spider was not killed. It may be that there is a difficult part in one part of the quest, but you should be able to progress even if you have to try multiple times ( I fell many times and had to try multiple times indeed) (at least as long as you use a feather fall item and maybe a potion of jump or jump item (which are very cheap and I would advice for many quests)

Astroliere

I did this quest multiple times with clerics with no jump skill invested and tower shield . I would use feather fall and boots of jump (like +10-+14 maybe? so maybe I would have even less than 10 because of the armor and shield). Normally the problem is that a spider was not killed. It may be that there is a difficult part in one part of the quest, but you should be able to progress even if you have to try multiple times ( I fell many times and had to try multiple times indeed) (at least as long as you use a feather fall item and maybe a potion of jump or jump item (which are very cheap and I would advice for many quests)
Thanks for the advice but i'm trying to see if it is possibile to do it without those things and pointing out how the last platform jump could be a design mistake or just a bad design. I've found that it is possibile but still i wanted to understand if that is a design choice or just a mistake.
Spiders spawn after the part of the quest i'm pointing out, so that'a not the issue.
Thanks for the reply anyway.

DYWYPI

Yes, there are some regular (non-raid) quests that require Ability or Skill checks to be able to complete them.

From the top of my head I can think of: 'The Jungle of Khyber' requiring [10] Intelligence for runes near the first set of Beholders. Also 'The Church and the Cult', requires a Secret door to be found with a Search DC of 30 on Elite. Albeit 'True Seeing' would work for revealing the door in that case.

There are possibly some other regular quests that fall under the category of needing a mandatory Ability or Skill checks. I believe 'Reclamation' [needs a DC 10] Strength check for the valves, and possibly 'Stealer of Souls' still does need said STR ability check (I haven't done the latter quest recently). The 'Tomb of the Crimson Heart' requires a Constitution check of 8 or more for the runes. Also 'The Rescue' requires you to find a Secret door, but even a Search skill of 2 would work there.

However, some quests can be easier to complete if you have things like; a Feather Fall item, for where there might be large dangerous drops. It can also be beneficial if you have; a Underwater Action item, for breathing underwater during lengthy and complex mazelike underwater sections. It's part of the reason why those two effects can be crafted at Cannith Crafting, Level: 1.

Last edited:

Spook

You can also take off your armor. Those of us that were around before tomes etc remember we had to remove anything with skill check penalties before attempting a jump section.

Astroliere

Yes, there are some regular (non-raid) quests that require Ability or Skill checks to be able to complete them.

From the top of my head I can think of: 'The Jungle of Khyber' requiring 11 Intelligence for runes near the first set of Beholders. Also 'The Church and the Cult', requires a Secret door to be found with a Search DC of 30 on Elite. Albeit 'True Seeing' would be work for revealing the door in that case.

There are possibly some other regular quests that fall under the category of needing a mandatory Ability or Skill checks. I believe 'Reclamation' used to need a Strength check for the valves, and possibly 'Stealer of Souls' still does need said STR ability check (I haven't done the latter quest recently). I think 'Tomb of the Crimson Heart' requires a Constitution check of 8 or more for the runes. Also 'The Rescue' requires you to find a Secret door, but even a Search skill of 2 would work there.

However, some quests can be easier to complete if you have things like; a Feather Fall item, for where there might be large dangerous drops. It can also be beneficial if you have; a Underwater Action item, for breathing underwater during lengthy and complex mazelike underwater sections. It's part of the reason why those two effects can be crafted at Cannith Crafting, Level: 1.
Good to know, thanks. But those seem more by design, they have a reason to be there.
I still think that the issue i have is not meant as a design. It seems more of an oversight by whoever created the quest and put the "light gravity" area. Why? well, if we assume that all the areas are cubes and all the cubes end at the start of the next cube or the next area (garanting each time the buff to make the jump possibile for any character) why would they cut a platform at half? seems strange right? well it makes sense cause that area covers the jump needed for getting to an optional (from what i've seen at least). So why they didn't extend the buff area to the next area as they did in all the quest before? Probably oversight, but i could be wrong.
An exemple: Imagine an underwater maze with lots of breathing places or bubble to refresh the bar. Now the whole game and quest teaches you that bubbles refresh the bar but you get to the end and the bubble is not refreshing it. Is the game expecting me to have underwater breathing potion? ok, why having bubbles than? or why all the bubble works but not that one? are they introducing this mechanic just this one random time at the end of a quest and never used it again? ok, if so i would say, bad design, improve it or implement this more, maybe before the end of the quest.
In the end i could be wrong, this could be a "feature" but if it is they should really work on its design. As it stands, it seems a bad design choice or an oversight.

Thanks for the reply.