The event does not really draw me in

mikarddo

// The event does not really draw me in//

But consider the evidence thusfar: I cannot see even one post from the "this game is too easy, there are no challenges left" whiners :) šŸ‘

Well, a buddy and I killed one of the Illidhid on R6 early on. It had a few more hp but no real tricks. Nor are the Thralls particularly harder.
So, its not like the event is hard in any way, mostly it is a scavenger hunt find the spawns. The actual killing is of no real importance.

Jeronimo

serious question: Where in the game do you get info what this event is about and what you are supposed to do ?
If it wasnĀ“t for the forums, I wouldnĀ“t know there was an event at all.
From the release notes: "Speak to a Twelve wizard named Omryn Cedarbrook in the Clifftop Tower District of Sharn to learn more!"

Lacci

All you need is click a link and have some reading skills.
ThatĀ“s why I asked "where in game ?"
So the only info comes from external websites.
Well, I donĀ“t find that very engaging.
I didnĀ“t expect some cutscene or even render video explaining what this is about, but something other than "read the patchnotes" would have been nice.

Sylvado

serious question: Where in the game do you get info what this event is about and what you are supposed to do ?
If it wasnĀ“t for the forums, I wouldnĀ“t know there was an event at all.
The announcement is right there in the launcher, if you don't bother to read the announcements or you don't use the launcher, that is on you.

DDO Gaming

ThatĀ“s why I asked "where in game ?"
So the only info comes from external websites.
Well, I donĀ“t find that very engaging.
I didnĀ“t expect some cutscene or even render video explaining what this is about, but something other than "read the patchnotes" would have been nice.
SSG never invests money on colorful advertising etc...you should know that by now. So patchnotes etc is all you're getting

Lacci

The announcement is right there in the launcher, if you don't bother to read the announcements or you don't use the launcher, that is on you.
I have read all about the event here in the forum, I knew that IĀ“m supposed to go to the guy in Sharn.
IĀ“m just saying that I donĀ“t find it very immersive/engaging/interesting that this info is not provided ingame.
Like was it really too much to ask that your character receives a letter from the guy in Sharn with something like "I made a disturbing discovery, please come and see me in Sharn as soon as you can" ?
IĀ“m not drawn into an event when itĀ“s just presented like a shopping list in the patchnotes.

DDO Gaming

Like was it really too much to ask that your character receives a letter from the guy in Sharn with something like "I made a disturbing discovery, please come and see me in Sharn as soon as you can" ?
mass-emailing every character across all servers? which planet are you living on?

Eelpout

Actually.... once upon a time they did that with each new update to the game... not sure when exactly they stopped doing it.
In game mail was certainly a way they informed the community of events back in the day. We are probably talking 8+ years by now though. I did get an email about the event sent to me. Don't know if it is from being VIP, having email preferences set, or what it might have been. I just know I have one sitting in my inbox from Tuesday.

So, if you have lower level characters, and assuming you can/want to play reaper, then you can work hard to unlock quests for the elite players?

AJ

vryxnr

So, if you have lower level characters, and assuming you can/want to play reaper, then you can work hard to unlock quests for the elite players?

AJ
If you have lower level characters and want to play reaper, you can participate in the fight against the illithids to unlock quests for theoretically everyone to play once they get characters to those levels. Those quests may not be easy, but imo that's okay.

Given the negative connotation "elite" has in these forums, I refuse to call someone who sometimes enjoyes something a bit more challenging as "elite".

Ahpuch

AJ
YEAH! but seriously, if you have such a character and want to do it then go ahead. It can be fun to participate in these events. If it isn't fun for you then don't. The people with capped chars don't want you to assist if you don't want to. Quests will get unlocked regardless of who participates. It may or may not be fun but it is optional so don't be a martyr.

Ahpuch

If you have lower level characters and want to play reaper, you can participate in the fight against the illithids to unlock quests for theoretically everyone to play once they get characters to those levels. Those quests may not be easy, but imo that's okay.

Given the negative connotation "elite" has in these forums, I refuse to call someone who sometimes enjoyes something a bit more challenging as "elite".
Yeah, I will say that they would be helping to unlock for me and I have a guild that can testify with an abundance of evidence that I am not elite.

Lacci

I just wish they put in the mindflayers in quests on every difficulty level. And then just make those defeated in higher difficulty levels count more towards unlocking the event quests.
Like defeating a mindflayer on normal counts 1, hard counts 2, elite 3, reaper 4 or 5, whatever.

Ahpuch

I just wish they put in the mindflayers in quests on every difficulty level. And then just make those defeated in higher difficulty levels count more towards unlocking the event quests.
Like defeating a mindflayer on normal counts 1, hard counts 2, elite 3, reaper 4 or 5, whatever.

The theory is that is reaper limited to allow the overlevel lockout of that setting. Next time they do an event of this nature they should use a "lock-out" mechanism that prevents level 32s from swarming low level quests to rack up the kills so they can allow them in other settings. Of course then they need an opt-out mechanism for those that don't want to be bothered with the whole thing.

Sylvado

The concern would be high level characters going into low level quests, but I think there are better ways to manage that, simply have it not count if over level.

PersonMan

The theory is that is reaper limited to allow the overlevel lockout of that setting. Next time they do an event of this nature they should use a "lock-out" mechanism that prevents level 32s from swarming low level quests to rack up the kills so they can allow them in other settings. Of course then they need an opt-out mechanism for those that don't want to be bothered with the whole thing.
The concern would be high level characters going into low level quests, but I think there are better ways to manage that, simply have it not count if over level.
Definitely would be very silly if we could just streamroll them.

It would be cool if the locations showed up sub-reaper so that population could at least participate by finding them. - If space bubble showed up but gave a message "You sense powerful magical energies in this area. Perhaps you should tell someone about it before it is too late."

Shear-buckler

You would still not find one.