The New Trap Alerts Need Toggle!

eshadowbringer

Just add a toggle and this post fizzles into nothingness ... and I'm with memnir on whiskey and occasionally whisky!

That being said i kinda like the new ones!

Kritikal

The new version is a hundred times better; however, I would still prefer to turn it OFF. You took the time to fix the graphic, but not to ADD an on/off toggle. This makes zero sense.

PLEASE add an on/off switch.

CBDunk

Making the CURRENT (i.e. U59.2) version of the trap alerts a toggle would give players a choice between 'easily missed' and 'nothing at all'. Might as well have just never done anything with it.

A toggle between something like the 'loud version' (i.e. U59 - U59.1) and either the 'just text' (i.e. U0 - U58) or 'subtle version' (i.e. U59.2) should give most people an option that would satisfy them. Lots of people WANTED the loud / in your face version. The Devs FIXED something that had been wanted since release... and then almost immediately took it away.

Yes, make a toggle so people who don't want notifications can turn them off... but the 'on' state should not be the 'super subtle' version designed to appeal to those who wanted the feature turned off entirely.

Doors... do whatever. All three versions have been acceptable. Traps are different. If you are going to warn people of danger (and, I think you SHOULD) then the warning should be attention grabbing.

DYWYPI

The new [U59.2] audio-visual feature is still quite noticeable. At least this time the icons look something like a "Trap" and "Door" symbol. Icons for DDO should fit in with the overall visual strategy to look and feel like a family.

ygeRMvJ.jpg

w9tb1TS.jpg

I still think they could have made the "Bear trap" and "Door" images a little more like the old message notifications icons that already have a Suitable supportive description appearing across the screen.

RNrEefL.jpg

At least the [U59.2] sound doesn't assault your ears – so you cannot possibly ignore it. I believe the Developers have also altered the trigger timing or something. Because for whatever reason the [U59.2] alerts didn't seem to be synchronised; they didn't always trigger and appear when they should have been doing... The overhead visual appeared slightly delayed. Whereas the old traditional screen "message notifications" seemed to be functioning correctly. I believe Lofen, also noticed the "delay" and mentioned it in [Post #119].

It looks like currently it could be beyond the DDO Developers' ability to provide an [ON/OFF] toggle for the new style audio-visual regarding traps without them using some form of "workaround". However, if Severiln's recollection was correct, they could probably provide a toggle if they obviously bothered to investigate further, and spend enough resource time.

The U59.2 version is still problematic on several levels, but an improvement over that huge [U59] "Looney tune" audio-visual inspired idea. I personally would prefer that I didn't have to see the "Bear trap" icon overhead nor have that audio alert.

The alert for Secret doors was never as annoying or distracting as there was at least some credibility in the [U59] concept of having an extra visual alert of Secret doors.

Nonetheless it is still very important to the player, that the Developers try to provide a [ON/OFF] toggle (for the trap alert). That way the people that like them; can use them (for whatever reason they somehow fail to notice the old screen message). Plus people that dislike the distracting overhead wouldn't have to suffer the annoying [Trap] audio-visual feature, if they can toggle it: OFF.

Last edited: