This must stop !

bleach

The last 2 raids released both have anti-ranged deflect arrows mechanics. Please stop with that, it never made any sense but rn ranged dps is so far behind melee that it almost feels like trolling and is anoying af. The changes to hunter shot made it even worse as now if they deflect you hunt end shot it doesnt even carry over to the next atack, as it used to

Lazuli

Well, don't you see what a joy it is for a caster to have the fact that raids are just bags of hps to shoot down. If the mana is not enough for a nuker, imagine how a DC caster enjoys them.

SSG raids have evolved into a terrible lack of imagination. I would like desvs to take a look at the old raids, where there were more than bosses and something more than dps counted.

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
The changes to hunter shot made it even worse as now if they deflect you hunt end shot it doesnt even carry over to the next atack, as it used to
My big beef with the "new" Hunt's End is that it fires off immediately. It no longer gives you 10 seconds to hit something else (like Manyshot) to "piggyback" off of it.

Hunt's End should ONLY apply to the first shot of Manyshot, but, as you alluded to, sometimes it applied to an additional shot.

They should have fixed that bug instead of their "firing one Hunt's End shot immediately" workaround.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Those mobs are anti-spell too... until a melee attacks them and breaks it. It's a cool mechanic that makes it desirable to have balanced parties. There's been times when short-manning where I swapped to melee weapons on my arti, whacked the mobs to break their protection, and then swapped back to ranged to kill them. You just have to get a little sweaty sometimes.

Buddha5440

Those mobs are anti-spell too... until a melee attacks them and breaks it. It's a cool mechanic that makes it desirable to have balanced parties. There's been times when short-manning where I swapped to melee weapons on my arti, whacked the mobs to break their protection, and then swapped back to ranged to kill them. You just have to get a little sweaty sometimes.
Agreed. I always get a little irritated when players complain that they need to use teamwork or planning to beat something.

bleach

I don't mind mechanics that encourage teamwork. But same mechanic twice in a row, now that unoriginal...sure they can come up with something else...

I also think that such mechanichs should scale with difficulty, as most ppl running lh raids probably aren't seeking a lot of teamwork or perfect balanced parties but rather a quick easy complation for runes and/or loot. The ammount of deflect % shouldn't be the same on lh than on r10

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
But it would be great, if I could actually target the Balor inside the circles as a caster and /or ranged. That would be a good start now, wouldn't it?!

Cheers,
Titus

rabidfox

The People's Champion
But it would be great, if I could actually target the Balor inside the circles as a caster and /or ranged. That would be a good start now, wouldn't it?!

Cheers,
Titus
Hmmmmm... If only...
When Lava Divers was pushing r10 FoM, Cammy figured out a tactic to range tank the boss during fire circle phases. The boss won't whip the melee if you tank him at ranged (person with agro outside the circle), instead he'll cast lightning strikes on the party over and over. As long as the party brings no-fail evasion or spell absorb for the lightning then this method can be used to help keep the melee safe during circle phases. There's also a sweet spot for ranged to stand just outside the fire circle where you won't get burned but can still hit the boss; so one can use a ranged threat tank for holding agro during the circle phases. Hopefully this gives people more options to figure out what methods work best for them in the raid.

Here's video footage from our testing of the method:
Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
I don't know how you do it but I can't target him and I am not alone.
I suspect the tactic shown is not wai so we won't use it in our raids.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rabidfox

The People's Champion

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There's no user manual provided by SSG for how the fire ring does or doesn't work (nor most raid mechanics) . Raid mechanics are figured out by trial and error of players' testing raids. The entire ring one out from the fire ring lets you attack over the fire. If you're closer than that then it doesn't work, if you're farther than that then it doesn't work. To me, that's reads as a design choice for the fire mechanic for where ranged/casters have to stand to attack the boss. If you don't want to use it then that's your choice. If SSG didn't intend for it to be there then they can remove it. But it's been around and I openly talk about any raid mechanic that players may not know nor have figured out on their own.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
Looking at it, it likely works because of the height of the Balor and that there's variations in the height of the floor there, especially near the carpet. But not elsewhere without it. Which actually suggests it's not WAI, otherwise the entire floor will have appropriate elevations to permit ranged firing across the ring easily.

J1NG

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
There's no user manual provided by SSG for how the fire ring does or doesn't work (nor most raid mechanics) . Raid mechanics are figured out by trial and error of players' testing raids. The entire ring one out from the fire ring lets you attack over the fire. If you're closer than that then it doesn't work, if you're farther than that then it doesn't work. To me, that's reads as a design choice for the fire mechanic for where ranged/casters have to stand to attack the boss. If you don't want to use it then that's your choice. If SSG didn't intend for it to be there then they can remove it. But it's been around and I openly talk about any raid mechanic that players may not know nor have figured out on their own.

It was voted against it in my group. I really don't care personally because testing things is half of the fun. But what you posted doesn't change the fact that I can't target the Balor inside the ring. Unless you meant to say that ranged are supposed to be outside the ring. If that is the case, it is not very intuitive design.
You said it. There is no manual so I don't know. But being able to target the Balor should be possible in all positions.

Cheers,
Titus

Dom

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yes cause clicking on the Balor to target it is a hard mechanic that is “not wai”. If the tactic shown was not wai or something SSG didn’t want getting out, the post would’ve been taken down.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I could go around hoarding raid mechanics like they're some super secret meant for only elite players. Or I can tell everyone how raids work, talk about the mechanics that have been discovered and aren't on the wiki, and give everyone the chance to succeed and do well. I'd rather everyone knows how to do raids well and for the entire player base to do better as a result. The more pugs know, the smoother runs go. Maybe a dev will be:
"Oh that's by design." or
"Oh, that's was a happy accident but it's pretty cool." or
"Oops, better fix that."
But I generally work for a place of optimism and good intent (unless there's obvious mismatched text descriptions vs effects on spells/etc.).

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
I am not sure what you are arguing here. I don't dispute anything you are saying. I even agree with you but that still doesn't change the fact I can't target the Balor. The reason I posted my initial comment was on top of disadvantages for ranged in the last 2 raids as OP stated there is the additional difficulty of targetting the Balor.

Cheers,
Titus