Too much "balancing", I've have enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shear-buckler

There's a ton of class combos and gear combos in the game along with players on 1st lifers thru total completionists running across multiple difficutly levels; one can assume a few % damage hit increased time to kill mobs on at least some of those players. If that effected their level of fun, then that's a shame.

Well by that reasoning they should just keep increasing all player damage and it will make the game more and more fun.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Well by that reasoning they should just keep increasing all player damage and it will make the game more and more fun.
I think I summed it just fine here:
Yeah, it's still fun to me. It's just a question of when fights become a slog vs having that nice action feel. I disliked old early epic leveling because the mobs had bloated HP and it took too long to get thru them; and I love post ED-revamp early epic leveling because it feels nice now to me, things hit hard but also die fairly effectively too. It's probably a matter of personal opinion where that line is between solid fun fight that's not too easy and slog for everyone.
There's a line between fun and slog. That's up to the person. I just don't dismiss the idea that this nerf might have crossed that line for some people and thus their enjoyment.

Shear-buckler

I think I summed it just fine here:

There's a line between fun and slog. That's up to the person. I just don't dismiss the idea that this nerf might have crossed that line for some people and thus their enjoyment.

I do dismiss that idea. They simply have no idea what they are talking about.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
Isn't that the meaning of acrue more past lifes? Being able to do and mitigate more damage?
That is what you are saying.
No, it isn't. I worked to do more damage - x3 Monk lifes, x3 Fighter lifes, x3 Ranger lifes - my time and effort was invested on dealing more damage. The Devs came and in one "balancing" made my time and effort worthless. That is what I was saying.

Hammatimes

It was the combination of the active attack changes as well as the weapon W changes where you'd see any significant nerfing in edge cases like a brand new Paladin getting a +10% damage cleave instead of +6d6 cleave at level 2. Most weapon styles weren't hit that hard and some were even buffed.
I still think they could have added rider dice to the active attacks to lessen the nerf at low levels but oh well. There's a lot of improvements they need to do for the new player experience which a very large portion is between levels 1-12

Monkey_Archer

I don't think our anti-power-creep forum family are going to like this conversation one bit, no sir.
As a member of the anti-power-creep forum faimily, I would like to explicitly say that my complaints are usually always about endgame... the pathetically easy zerg-fest, so-called "hardest difficulty": r10. Nerfing low level melee leveling speed on r1 is definitely not a thing I've ever thought about.

With regard to the dev's hidden intentions and "holding them accountable", I think that's a pointless endeavor. I'd rather take them at their word that this actually was about standardization, and then suggest that they add more melee power to low levels to compensate. There is a huge difference between spell power and melee power scaling at low levels that needs to be "standardized" to a 2:1 ratio anyway. :)

CBDunk

I do dismiss that idea. They simply have no idea what they are talking about.

Imagine a completely new DDO player. They have no past lives. No tomes. No good equipment in the bank. No knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of various builds. Most, if not all, of the 'power creep' you refer to does not apply to them yet. They are starting the game NOW with roughly the same level of power and content difficulty that they would have encountered say five years ago.

EXCEPT if they happen to choose to make a build that relies heavily on these cool 'active attacks'. As a result, instead of cycling through say four 4d8 attacks every six seconds, they are now getting four 1d8 * 1.3 attacks every six seconds. Their base DPS has dropped from 9.3 to 3.9.

Are there other builds, even other melee/ranged builds, that do NOT get such a significant nerf? Absolutely, but there ARE also going to be some new players who are going to be experiencing the game doing less than half as much damage as they would have before. This WILL make it difficult for some of them to progress.

I do not believe this is a MAJOR issue... but it is also definitely not a NON issue.

Shear-buckler

Imagine a completely new DDO player. They have no past lives. No tomes. No good equipment in the bank. No knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of various builds. Most, if not all, of the 'power creep' you refer to does not apply to them yet. They are starting the game NOW with roughly the same level of power and content difficulty that they would have encountered say five years ago.

EXCEPT if they happen to choose to make a build that relies heavily on these cool 'active attacks'. As a result, instead of cycling through say four 4d8 attacks every six seconds, they are now getting four 1d8 * 1.3 attacks every six seconds. Their base DPS has dropped from 9.3 to 3.9.

Are there other builds, even other melee/ranged builds, that do NOT get such a significant nerf? Absolutely, but there ARE also going to be some new players who are going to be experiencing the game doing less than half as much damage as they would have before. This WILL make it difficult for some of them to progress.

I do not believe this is a MAJOR issue... but it is also definitely not a NON issue.

What are you talking about? There is no situation where dps was halved. Not even close. It's single digit percentages.

The Narc

What are you talking about? There is no situation where dps was halved. Not even close. It's single digit percentages.

Since your math is sooooo brilliant do for me the math before hand and after on a single attack with a ravenloft longsword on a toon with deadly 5 and a stat bonus to damage of +6 and we will throw an additional bonus for the sake of it like profane or feats o enhancements of an additional +3, ok ready to see shears calculations of only 3% adjustment to base weapon damage.

You still havemt learned to read the posts, i am nor sure why people are waisting there time trying to explain to you.

Shear-buckler

The described build, assuming a character with a 1d8 weapon using four +3W / +30% active attacks over a period of six seconds is absolutely and unquestionably an "in game situation".

First of all that is not the change in question. Second of all it's a completely false example because it assumes you have no other sources of damage and do not attack at all other than using these active attacks.

The Narc

First of all that is not the change in question. Second of all it's a completely false example because it assumes you have no other sources of damage and do not attack at all other than using these active attacks.
Lol lets see your math on how weapon damage at level 10 or under is only a 3% difference, not a chance you can show this on a first life toon.

Shear-buckler

Isn't that the meaning of acrue more past lifes? Being able to do and mitigate more damage?

No, it isn't. I worked to do more damage - x3 Monk lifes, x3 Fighter lifes, x3 Ranger lifes - my time and effort was invested on dealing more damage. The Devs came and in one "balancing" made my time and effort worthless. That is what I was saying.

Your past lives have not changed.

CBDunk

First of all that is not the change in question.

There was no 'one change' specified, and the +W to +% change on active attacks is the only one which caused a decrease to low level weapon damage for new players. If you are excluding all changes that caused a nerf then you are 'correct'... there has been no nerf. From an obstinately irrational point of view.

Second of all it's a completely false example because it assumes you have no other sources of damage and do not attack at all other than using these active attacks.

Both of which are... entirely possible for a brand new player, and thus NOT a "completely false example".

Status
Not open for further replies.