Updating game keeps crashing WiFi ?

Khurse

Hey All

I am completely useless at computers. Can pretty much turn them on and that's it.
So maybe I'm missing something obvious, but...

I have DDO on two systems, desktop and a laptop. I've played on the laptop when I travel for a couple years , no issues.
Tonight went to update the game on it, and the WiFi crashed. Cursed at the timing, WiFi came back on was fine, launched the game and watched it start to DL the files
WiFi crashed.
Just to be sure, launched the (up to date) game from the desktop, game and WiFi worked fine, waited a few hours WiFi was fine, went to update the game on the laptop, WiFi crashed.

I updated and used the laptop a few (maybe 3 or 4) weeks ago no issues. I have no idea why or how trying to run the update is crashing the house WiFi, but it's 3/3 when I run the launcher, so...

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Hi Khurse, just some thoughts...

I would think you should be able to confirm if your WiFi is the the issue if you run an online speed test to check your performance for starters.

How is your WiFi signal strength? Have you tried resetting your WiFi router? Did you confirm that your WiFi crashed? Did the router hang or reboot?

It could be that there is an issue with your DDO install if it consistently failing to load though (hangs on updates and your WiFi is actually fine).

The more info you supply the better we may be able to help. :)

Khurse

Hi Khurse, just some thoughts...

I would think you should be able to confirm if your WiFi is the the issue if you run an online speed test to check your performance for starters.

How is your WiFi signal strength? Have you tried resetting your WiFi router? Did you confirm that your WiFi crashed? Did the router hang or reboot?

It could be that there is an issue with your DDO install if it consistently failing to load though (hangs on updates and your WiFi is actually fine).

The more info you supply the better we may be able to help. :)
Best as I can tell the WiFi seems fine. Connection speeds are what they advertised.
We watched Netflix and Disney on it last night with no issues whatsoever, and I spent some of the time browsing on it and playing another game, no issues.
It's when (again) I tried to update the game , it crashed the WiFI. The Network doesn't show on any of our devices for a few minutes while it reboots itself. (So I suppose this may be the router? Not a tech guy) The only actual time I have any issues is trying to update DDO on the notebook. And it worked fine when I updated it a few weeks ago as I said, so ..somehow something is messed up.

Not a huge problem (I may be able to update the game when I'm away from home, and if I can't I'm sure I'll find something else to do...) I'm just curious as to what could cause this behaviour all of a sudden.

Bracelet

Do you have just the one box that the cable from outside connects too? That’s the modem. But a lot of modems also provide the wireless routing. Is it all done with that one device? Or is there another device providing WiFi separately?