Very new newbie

Lazuli

The easiest way to add HPs is to join reaper difficulty. These points add permanent HPs to your character when you spend them in core 1 (+10 HP @ lvl 4), 2 (+20 HP @ lvl 9) and 4 (+100 HP @ lvl 21) of grim barricade. In addition, in any reaper difficulty you will gain +168 more HPs from spending 21 pts in the tree. 21 pts is only 441k rxp, which sounds like alot, but that’s only 45 quests in legendary levels at r6+, as compared to 500 quests in heroic levels.

The second most effective is not so easy. You need to take a character to lvl 30+ and Epic TR, taking a primal past life. All 12 Epic Past lives passively give 36HP at level 1 and an additional 48 HP per each ten character levels you posesss up to 180 extra HPs at level 30. do this a few times each life, then heroic TR so it’s not so much of a grind. if you do barbarian lives for your heroic TR, that is a bonus 10HP per life up to 30 more HP max for 3 lives total.
This is true, but I'm not sure it's good advice for a completely new player. Reaper is the highest difficulty tier in the game. A completely new player has nothing to survive on this difficulty: he has no gear, he's a 28 point build, he doesn't even have knowledge of the game to know how to move between enemies.

By yourself, sswf224, I don't think you can survive on this difficulty. You're going to be mashed, and the first reaper you encounter will rip you to shreds (if you play reaper, get a ghost touch ability on your weapon first!). You could team up with veterans joining to a reaper lfm, but be aware that you will be able to contribute very little, that you will die a lot unless you stay away from mobs (they hit hard, very hard, on reaper), and in general I don't think you will enjoy the ride. Also, many veterans tend to view leveling as a mere formality, and rush through quests, so you're going to miss out on a lot of exploration (those veterans just want to reach the end game as quickly as possible in a new build).

To enjoy the game, I would learn to play on an easier, less punishing difficulty. If you stay in the game you will have plenty of time to start reaper when your character is a little stronger and you have more knowledge of how the combat system works. But--- if you join to a reaper lfm, you can let the veterans do the quest, you get the xp and treasure, and then you can replay it on a difficulty you're comfortable with, leisurely exploring and such. Also, once you have done the quest on a difficulty, all minor difficulties are automatically unlocked (veteran characters can open on any difficulty, it's something you'll unlock when you reincarnate your toon). It's a posibility. But watch out for reaper diff at this point, it's going to be very hard on your character.

Regarding reincarnation---this is not the time to think about that either. In this game it is not worth having many alts. It is best to have only two main characters. You leave one in the cap to join raids and end game, getting useful items for both toons. You reincarnate the other one (you return to level 1 with a new build, but stronger. Each incarnation will give you more power. For example, the next time you reincarnate your character, you will reincarnate with 34 ability points instead of 28, and one or two past life feats, and also your character will no longer be limited to opening quests in Normal if you are not VIP). That's why many players don't have many alts, what they have is one or two toons that reincarnate over and over again to make them stronger, and with each life they try a new, different build. There are so many possible builds that it's very hard to tell you how many there are. Not only do they change depending on the class or race, it's that within the same class you can make radically different builds. In a reincarnation, in addition, you keep the items that you had from past lives.

But, but, this is for when you get to cap, or at least level 20. It's your first life. Enjoy, explore, there are fantastic quests to discover. Enjoy the trip. And learn the mechanics of the game.

Last edited:

Br4d

As Lazuli said, make a Barbarian 2HF. Your best defense at solo and normal difficulties is whacking stuff hard. Also Barbs get an enhancement early on called Blood Tribute in the Frenzied Berserker enhancement tree that will make you basically unkillable at those difficulties in early quests.

Lazuli

Don't worry that you still don't understand much. Follow the lines I have given you for the build, and you will have a build that will work. The rest you will learn with experience, there is no better teacher than playing and seeing what is there.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you say the server you're on, someone can probably mail you some potions. I myself if you are on my server.

stevefarn224

Here is my character.
Melee/Barbarian/Human and the server I am on is the default server Ghallanda
Don't worry that you still don't understand much. Follow the lines I have given you for the build, and you will have a build that will work. The rest you will learn with experience, there is no better teacher than playing and seeing what is there.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you say the server you're on, someone can probably mail you some potions. I myself if you are on my server.

Lazuli

Sadly is not my server.

Hopefully there's a Ghallanda player around here who can talk to you privately to mail you some pots. Soon you will have platinum to buy them yourself, but when you leave Korthos you are still very short on cash.

stevefarn224

Sadly is not my server.

Hopefully there's a Ghallanda player around here who can talk to you privately to mail you some pots. Soon you will have platinum to buy them yourself, but when you leave Korthos you are still very short on cash.
Thanks

festasha

Here is my character.
Melee/Barbarian/Human and the server I am on is the default server Ghallanda
Hi sswf224 if you could message Festashar on Ghllandra or let me know your in-game name in this post I can mail you some pots and plat to give you a leg up.
You are more than welcome to join our guild for guild buffs. We are a very small guild with only a few active players which would be fine if you are only planning to solo at your own pace, but are more than welcome to join up with us at any time we are around the same level if you would like some reaper points and a bit of a boost. We also have a discord channel where we would be more than happy to offer any in-game help or just chat rubbish while enjoying the game. Welcome to DDO 😁

stevefarn224

Hi sswf224 if you could message Festashar on Ghllandra or let me know your in-game name in this post I can mail you some pots and plat to give you a leg up.
You are more than welcome to join our guild for guild buffs. We are a very small guild with only a few active players which would be fine if you are only planning to solo at your own pace, but are more than welcome to join up with us at any time we are around the same level if you would like some reaper points and a bit of a boost. We also have a discord channel where we would be more than happy to offer any in-game help or just chat rubbish while enjoying the game. Welcome to DDO 😁
Hi thanks my in-game player name is sswf224

festasha

Hi thanks my in-game player name is sswf224
Hi sswf224, I tried to mail you and add you as a friend but it says the name doesn't exist. If you could drop me a mail I'll get some goodies sorted for you, my in-game name is Festashar.

Lazuli

If you hover over his avatar, you will have an option that says "start conversation." It is to start a private conversation that no one else will see :)

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Low level characters have the potential to be taken down by things that could be considered trivial to more experienced adventurers (hope you have a feather-fall item already!!!) So getting properly kitted out can make a huge difference in survivability.

Make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew! Be careful which missions you take (and even some wildnerness areas you explore).
If your character is really dialed in, you can take missions a lever or two higher, but I wouldn't suggest that until you more settled into the game.

I think this has probably already been mentioned, but join a guild for all of the perks (buffs) it offers.

I know when I first started in DDO I could have done a better job on doing character class/race research for abilities and feats prior to making a character, but I would argue that is part of the learning curve. You can always re-spec one of your characters if you choose (more info on that here: https://ddowiki.com/page/Respec ) . This will also help make them into a leaner, meaner, kobold killing machine. ☠️