VIP dedicated to buying server capacity.

Fallout47

If SSG offered a sub where the proceeds are dedicated to purchasing the server capacity to run this game in a halfway decent manner, I would buy it for all 3 of my accounts. Invest in your game SSG!!!

Fallout47

500 to 600 players tops and the server ***** the bed. Diagnosis, in part, not enough server resources.

Fallout47

"Most MMOGs also share other characteristics that make them different from other multiplayer online games. MMOGs host many players in a single game world, and all of those players can interact with each other at any given time. Popular MMOGs might have thousands of players online at any given time, usually on company-owned servers. Non-MMOGs, such as Battlefield 1942 or Half-Life usually have fewer than 50 players online (per server) and are usually played on private servers. Also, MMOGs usually do not have any significant mods since the game must work on company servers. There is some debate if a high head-count is a requirement to be an MMOG. Some say that it is the size of the game world and its capability to support many players that should matter. For example, despite technology and content constraints, most MMOGs can fit up to a few thousand players on a single game server at a time."

This little tidbit is a direct quote from the wiki definition of MMO. Pathetic.

seph1roth5

I don't know if it's a player count issue. They've said they can't server merge because of lag, but hardcore never gets anywhere as bad as normal servers do sometimes. Yeah the first day is always a disaster, but then they do some hotfix/downtime within a day and it goes to normal DDO lag. It feels like the servers can handle under 1k just fine (or as fine as we're used to). They could easily cut the servers in half and orien/argo would still top out at 6-700.

TavernBrawler

They've said they can't server merge because of lag
SSG have no clue, EG7 wont spend a dime on DDO while devs are trying to be busy working on "tumble changes". Truth is, DDO's engine was developed to handle level cap at 10. We are 3x over and beyond that, with zero updates or development to the engine developed in 1990s. Current situation is a combination of everything that happened over 20 years.

Br4d

I don't think that server merges are blocked by lag as much as all the player-owned resources that are server specific and not easy to transfer. Then you have all the naming conflicts.

After all of the transfer/unique identifier problems are resolved (will never happen) then you have lag in the equation.

Fallout47

SSG have no clue, EG7 wont spend a dime on DDO while devs are trying to be busy working on "tumble changes". Truth is, DDO's engine was developed to handle level cap at 10. We are 3x over and beyond that, with zero updates or development to the engine developed in 1990s. Current situation is a combination of everything that happened over 20 years.
I'm not suggesting that more server resources will 'FIX' lag. More resources will improve the situation. As I stated, I would be willing to pay a monthly sub x 3 if I knew the money was going to buy the server resources necessary to return us to the level of lag we had before they "upgraded" to virtual servers.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
1.)More server resources will fix it.

2.) More server resources cost money.

3.) Revenue - (more) costs = less profit

4.) No more server resources.

5.) Fiddle with AI monster pathing or doublestrike blah blah to try and duct/tape the situation. In reality, will always fail especially with heavy server load.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
500 to 600 players tops and the server ***** the bed. Diagnosis, in part, not enough server resources.
Sure, 500.. np. What's this about server resources?

I don't know if it's a player count issue. They've said they can't server merge because of lag, but hardcore never gets anywhere as bad as normal servers do sometimes. Yeah the first day is always a disaster, but then they do some hotfix/downtime within a day and it goes to normal DDO lag. It feels like the servers can handle under 1k just fine (or as fine as we're used to). They could easily cut the servers in half and orien/argo would still top out at 6-700.
Do you trust the manglers of Wayfinder, the introducers of percentage-weighting weapons, on the sly or ...whatever, the KILLERS OF TUMBLE to MERGE servers? ROFLMAO

I don't think that server merges are blocked by lag as much as all the player-owned resources that are server specific and not easy to transfer. Then you have all the naming conflicts.

After all of the transfer/unique identifier problems are resolved (will never happen) then you have lag in the equation.
Again, merging would be a nightmare. Unique item names.. character names would be the least of it. Databases are v.specific.

Who's the Database Engineer for DDO?
+1