Walk of shame - Double curse bug usage punishment bit too heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
We have corrected a bug that could allow players to put more than one Curse from the Deck of Many Treasures onto an item. Characters that have more than one Curse on a particular item have had those Curses removed and replaced with Curse of the Overloaded, which must be removed with a Card of Curse Cleansing before any new Curses can be applied.

I must admit I was using this double curse "feature" on my endgame toons items. Friend of mine from a well-known guild on Argo who told me about this "feature" suggested this might be quietly WAI to increase hype on cards, and having 2 good curses is 1% of 1% so still beyond reasonable luck. Also usage was quite wide-spread on Argo. But enough of those silly excuses of mine...

But shouldn't the punishment be somehow adequate to the guilt? I must say trashing (as I assume Curse of the Overloaded will give -90%'ish walking speed penalty) all the items on endgame toons that took years to collect (raid stuff, reaper bonuses, mythic boosts +4) because lack of Q/A made this "feature" slipped in is equal to permaban for me. Cleaning Curse cards isn't something widely available or a common drop - and after this penalty goes en masse - will probably disappear completely from auctions. Do you feel this punishment is adequate?

Last edited:

rabidfox

The People's Champion
suggested this might be quietly WAI to increase hype on cards
The text is pretty clear that only one curse is suppose to exist.

w0gSJxM.jpeg

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
To clarify, as the effect itself isn't live yet as originally planned: Curse of the Overloaded simply does nothing but count as a Curse on the item.
Booo! I spent all that time crunching throughout the night to get accounts ready so I could move slower. 😤

Granted though, now the Overburdened Curse doesn't seem as bad if all it does is prevent more Curses until cleansed, and the response I got from Cordovan makes more sense. But it still leaves actual innocent players in the lurch and that I'm not happy about (for them).

J1NG

Ahpuch

Booo! I spent all that time crunching throughout the night to get accounts ready so I could move slower. 😤

Granted though, now the Overburdened Curse doesn't seem as bad if all it does is prevent more Curses until cleansed, and the response I got from Cordovan makes more sense. But it still leaves actual innocent players in the lurch and that I'm not happy about (for them).

J1NG
Yeah, they should give a free cleanser to everyone who reported the extra curse on an item.

vryxnr

Nope, its' rather about not giving a death penalty for stealing a candy.

Actually after SteelStar's clarification - I am! Lesson learned :(
Death penalty would be character and account deletion along with a ban on your IP and email (I know people can bypass such bans, not the point).

The release notes for cursed cards and the in game descriptions clearly state how they should work. No dev made statements to the contrary afaik. So... why believe a player saying "no no, this actually is WAI" ... because someone is able to, in game, do specific things to let you bypass the intended restrictions? The devs didn't catch the exploit right away therefore it's not an exploit? Even if it's just a relatively minor one?

Now I will admit that the line between cheese and exploit can be blurry at times. For example, I love using terrain features (hard to reach platforms to stand on, obstacles between myself and enemies to break line of sight, etc) to cheese. If I found a way to go under the map and attack through the ground, that would be across the line for me.

I also realize that sometimes in game descriptions are inaccurate.

I personally don't see how this could be seen as a grey area, when it was so clearly stated (both release notes and in game descriptions) to not be intended.

Neilfladech

So in my case I did not exploit but ended up with 3 curses on a pair of wraps that are now hosed. Still don't know how it happened. Hopefully they fixed what caused it because if I have future items that get ruined because of something not intended I'd be quite sad.

PersonMan

To clarify, as the effect itself isn't live yet as originally planned: Curse of the Overloaded simply does nothing but count as a Curse on the item.

Any chance for a future item "[so and so]'s Cinematic Lenses" that equip to give the slow movement debuff? I know a number of people would love them for recording game footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.