Weapon uselessness

FuzzyDuck81

Feats are extremely valuable. That's far too high an opportunity cost for just a daze which is where the uselessness comes from.
It's a matter of personal preference & playstyle; since i have a lot of alts & don't do the whole minmaxing, TR/reaper grind etc. I much prefer it on some builds instead of stunning blow eg. on my barbarian as while it may not have as strong an effect, it'll always work in the way I want to use it - i just adjust my approach to combat encounters to take it into account & use it tactically.

misterski

With Light weapons equipped auto add some melee alacrity since they are smaller, lighter, easy to swing around. There we go!
Weapon speed was a rule in 2E, it affected initiative and was adjusted by the +x magical bonus on the weapon. Magical weapons were lighter than their normal versions and could be swung faster.

Buddha5440

It's a matter of personal preference & playstyle; since i have a lot of alts & don't do the whole minmaxing, TR/reaper grind etc. I much prefer it on some builds instead of stunning blow eg. on my barbarian as while it may not have as strong an effect, it'll always work in the way I want to use it - i just adjust my approach to combat encounters to take it into account & use it tactically.
-This.

RPG is not about min-maxing, it's about creating an individual character, not just copying someone else's build because it kicks but. I have a bow-user that has never used a melee weapon (because she can't stand the sight of blood close-up) and a Cleric who still holds to the old school faiths and won't use anything but a blunt weapon.

Buddha5440

With Light weapons equipped auto add some melee alacrity since they are smaller, lighter, easy to swing around. There we go!
-Agreed

Attack speed needs to be re-addressed. A two-handed sword should have a MUCH slower attack rate than a dagger/short sword/etc.

Amorais

I liked using the AC adjustment rules for weapons vs armour. Made characters think before they went into combat so they could select the right weapon. That was 2nd ed I think, not sure if it was in 3.5 as I've lost my handbook years ago :(

misterski

I liked using the AC adjustment rules for weapons vs armour. Made characters think before they went into combat so they could select the right weapon. That was 2nd ed I think, not sure if it was in 3.5 as I've lost my handbook years ago :(
That was an optional rule from 2E. I never saw it used, though.

Br4d

Part of the problem is that not all weapons are created equal and many of the weapons on the list were successors to other less successful weapons. Also, some of the weapons were highly specialized for specific situations based on various combat tactics and armor types that were in vogue at the time the weapon was created.

A few of the weapons never actually existed but were created as fantastical additions to the medieval armaments either in fiction or the RPG world.

Obvious examples of "fake" weapons include repeating crossbows and great crossbows which invalidate light crossbows and heavy crossbows. The fix for light crossbows and heavy crossbows was to invent yet another type of crossbow, the dual crossbow with one wielded in each hand.

Other dubious weapon types include Handwraps, which never were used as a damaging weapon but more as a protection for the hands, and even then they weren't generally used. Brass knuckles and Cesti, which were used are not in the game system.

Then you have the Dwarven Axe, which invalidates Battleaxes as a class. As a fictional item it would be better for it to only be wieldable by Dwarves, which might leave some room for the other single handed axes to see use.

So when we see just a half dozen or so weapon types used we need to realize that this is because they have been engineered to be the most used, while all the other weapons have essentially been discarded.

Also, weapon speeds are virtually ignored which makes many of the weapons have no purpose.

DDO has 37 weapon types and yet only half a dozen are utilized by players.
There are too many weapons in the game that are comparatively inferior if not worthless.

image.png

Even with Update 61 that now gives a bump to kukri along with daggers in the Vistani tree.
There are effectively a lot of worthless weapons in the game..
Things like darts, handaxes, hammers, picks, maul, clubs, morningstar, etc.....
Generic boosts to weapon grouping like 'light' weapons would be of more overall game benefit that just selectively making specific weapons like 'dagger' have the enhancement tree boosts making all the other weapons pointless like handaxe, hammer, mace....

Pointless distinctions between light and heavy weapons light/heavy crossbow..
the 1d6/1d8 distinction favors heavy crossbow in every scenario making light crossbows comparatively inferior.
just dump the light/heavy distinction and have them be... crossbow, repeating crossbow and great crossbow.

I would like to see perks defined by weapon grouping instead of specific weapons being buffed and others effectively being neutered by neglect.
light weapons, one handed weapons, two handed weapons, ranged, throwing...
This way it doesn't matter if a player swaps between weapons like light maces or a dagger, the profile and boosts give the same effective weapon damage.
Instead of Vistani doubling damage for dagger's and kukri's while making every other light weapon pointless.

Without making all these weapons comparable and interchangeable over half of the weapons in DDO are effectively pointless and a waste of effort to even have in the game.
Would like to see some of these wpns get some love Great Clubs Picks sickles lt crossbows all types and kamas. in pnp smaller ligher wpns had more attacks to due speed factors, would be nice if these wpns where brought inline with others as far as enhancement trees and dmg to addm ore flavor to builds, instead of seeing everyone running around with the same key wpns for the class or race they play, Heck a great club should have a strength req to use but otherwise should be simple wpn as any idiot can pick a big tree branch up and swing it and should be great for skellys, but none of that is reflected in the wpn and evem martial types are rarely seen using anything clubwise thats not a named wpn. And Kamas drop alot on monks but most use wraps and Kamas get no love in game. Heck I have an old monk with greensteel kamas from Merida that are useless nowadays except as clickies lol. Would like to see the lighter wpns get the speed factored in for more attacks as in pnp they did less dmg but recieved faster attacks so theres a goal for SSG to work on, that wont nerf anything or piss anyone off or unbalance the game A lot of the older named stuffs dmg or abilities need to be brough in line with current stuff as theres lots of old named stuff with a high lvl to use like true seeing items, that newer content has and much lower lvls, to many to list, but Id rather see the old stuff updated than have a new buggy content added.

Coffey

This would be more realistic for sure.

Is the DDO engine still capped at 75% melee speed? Problem is we dont want the wheels to fall off LOL!

Expanded crit ranges may be easier to implement.

Nandos

I imagine they could come out with a small playable race that has a lot of advantages, but could only be proficient in light class melee weapons, shortbows and light xbows as a disadvantage.

misterski

I imagine they could come out with a small playable race that has a lot of advantages, but could only be proficient in light class melee weapons, shortbows and light xbows as a disadvantage.
How? Such limitations don't exist in the game. Anyone can become proficient with any weapon with weapon proficiency feats or with certain class/race enhancements. I mean halflings and gnomes can wield greatswords without any problems, so how would it make sense to all the sudden introduce such a limitation to the game?

Br4d

How? Such limitations don't exist in the game. Anyone can become proficient with any weapon with weapon proficiency feats or with certain class/race enhancements. I mean halflings and gnomes can wield greatswords without any problems, so how would it make sense to all the sudden introduce such a limitation to the game?

Halflings and Gnomes should not be able to equip 2handed weapons. It makes no sense, given that they would not be able to swing them in the necessary arcs for effective play without major risk of contacting the ground with their weapon.

Saying that Halfling and Gnome 2handed weapons are smaller also makes no sense given that their damage and crit profiles remain the same.

So Halflings and Gnomes should wield Longswords as 2handed weapons, with the normal Longsword damage and crit profiles, they should wield Shortswords as Longswords with the normal Shortsword damage and crit profiles. Same for Axes with Battleaxes wielded as Greataxes and Hand Axes wielded as Battleaxes, albeit with the formers damage and crit profiles but the latters animations and swings.

There are ways to make the various weapon choices necessary however they do fly in the way of balancing everything and this is why DDO is such a very well balanced, uniform game with so few differences among the various builds that share an archetype.

thats an interesting idea, I still want a Regenerating troll for great clubs and a minotaur race so I can dual wield great axes, or a Thrikeen with the quad wielding 4 arms hehe