What are your motivations?

Wolvanthor

After looking at my endless list of untouched Steam games recently, I wondered what my motivation was to constantly log into DDO over 13 years...endlessly repeating the same quests over and over, reincarnating, then repeating the same quests over and over. I know this game. I know the quests. There is no surprise adventure awaiting me when I log in for the millionth time. Yet I keep logging in. Am I crazy or are we just all insane, repeating the same behaviour with the same game over many years? Not sure how many games you all have left untouched, but this repetitive DDO thing seems like true insanity.

I would love to know your motivations...there are so many great games out there; countless. So why do we keep repeating this game?

Anyways, have a think. Ciao ciao. 🤓

Vorph

Mine has always been content. Good content, dnd content. So i haven't logged back in for a while, probably won't be back anytime soon if the next pack is like the boring mediocrity that was the vecna quests, even less of a chance if they still haven't fixed raptor crashes. Might troll the forums less and less and then just fade the **** away. Don't worry, i won't let the door hit my ass on the way out

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
I like the game, with all its flaws and hiccups, is one of the games I end up coming back to play!
The reincarnation system, the possibility of advance a little more with the same character not getting stucking in a Cap doing the same old same old stuff. Tired of a build... change it and do the leveling again, you will earn something in the same character until max out it with 160+ past lifes. And then.... the game will release new content, increase the level cap... introduce a new grind.
DDO is a fun game!

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
I have found in the past once I get a character to cap the game loses appeal to me. Even though I could start an alt and replay the same game along a different path that doesn't seem to appeal, I lose interest and wander off to try other things.

With DDO, We have a LONG way to go to get a character maxed out, Our main characters are 15 lives in and just getting started on racial lives. We do different quests each life, though we have some we enjoy and do almost every life. (looking at you Tear of Dakaan). Add the love I have for DnD (Yes, DDO is it's own beast but the core is there) and this is the game I've come back to time and again when other things managed to pull me away.

Savage

Phoenicis' Wife
I like the game, with all its flaws and hiccups, is one of the games I end up coming back to play!
The reincarnation system, the possibility of advance a little more with the same character not getting stucking in a Cap doing the same old same old stuff. Tired of a build... change it and do the leveling again, you will earn something in the same character until max out it with 160+ past lifes. And then.... the game will release new content, increase the level cap... introduce a new grind.
DDO is a fun game!
Exactly this!

I never get bored and still always learn something new about DDO. Learn the quests better and better, prepare for events and of course Hardcore league. You can be whatever you like, play however you like, either kill everything or leave half of the mobs alive, do optionals or don't. You decide how you play the game, the game does not decide for you! Always so much more to do, I just love DDO!

BYGOD1

Pen and Paper RPG's are not perfect. DDO is not perfect. If you are a gamer. You game. Even when you know you'll lose,be beaten,*ss handed to you,gain nothing in return. Why? Cause we're ALL gamers. We play to be with others playing with/for the same interests. Even if there's little to no interaction.Or it's ALL interaction. It's gaming. Like a musician,a poet,a artist, or slew of many other talents that involve using your imagination. It's the journey. The satisfaction you did or completed something. No matter how small or big the achievement is. We all put up with that which we are willing put up with for simple act of gaming and the satisfaction of completion in some degree. Even when we play tabletop and the DM is being hard nosed and one feels like they are getting the short end of a stick, or lack thereof, we come back for more. Stressing ourselves out to the Nth degree.

Why.............

(Everyone say it with me now.......)

We're gamers.

And gamer's all have something wrong with them to inflict the self punishment they do.

Ahhhh - But forums let us release all that stress now, don't they............

comfy

the comfortable
I like big number. I invest time and I get bigger number. If I invest time into another game, I might get big number there, but nobody will see big number. In DDO, everyone sees my big number.

Lacci

My motiviation is dwindling. Though I have set myself some goals that I have yet to reach. I probably won´t ever reach the completionist, but I never played a Monk or a Blightcaster and I have 1-2 other build ideas. So when I´m done with my Dark Hunter, I will start on those.
I don´t know how long I will endure the reincarnation cycle as with every repetition, the game gets a little more boring.
But for now, I´ll keep going, it´s free...

Blunt Hackett

I like D&D games, aRPGs, and specifically I love that the DM narrates flavor text as you play. I wish there were other games that did that. I would far prefer a game that wasn't an MMO that did these things and had lots of content.

Svirfneblin

Trying to get Racial Completionist, challenging myself to die less in game.

And help out newer players on Orien, who are always welcome to my Reaper 1 groups.

DilemmaEnder

Thelanis Player
I love going on adventures with the people I meet!

I play this game because I love D&D and the way this game handles it is close enough for me. I still play other games occasionnally but I spend the vast majority of my game time grinding out past lives on my main and looking for groups to play with.

It helps to have Guildies who do the same thing!

It's as much social for me as it is the game itself.

Last edited:

Seppi Pearlsmith

Thanks to the nerfs years ago I lost "motivation" and I only play a few hours on the weekends with months long breaks at a time; so it takes me a year or more to reincarnate. I obviously don't farm for things any longer and the few hours I play are (mostly) fun. I ran Faithful Departed a few months ago after years of not running it, i really enjoyed it regardless of loot or xp/min.

Geezer

I have been retired for 16 years now so I play to kill time during the day. When I first started playing over 10 years ago, I used to play on 3 servers and was online here a lot. That has dwindled down to 1 server and 3 - 4 hours a day. I like trying new builds and playing different classes. But you have to admit that after playing a few years, this game starts to feel like that old movie with Bill Murray, Groundhog Day.