What GPU to play DDO with Ultra High settings?

axel15810

Pretty sure that any decent GPU made recently will be able to handle DDO in highest settings no problem. My last PC that I used from 2015-2022 had a AMD Radeon R9 285 2 GB GPU and it rocked DDO at highest settings. I would base your purchase decision on what games you want to play other than DDO. I would highly recommend 16GB of RAM on any new machine though just because Windows 11 eats 4GB of RAM by just running.

I'm now using an RTX 3060 in my new PC and it barely gets tickled by DDO in highest settings plus me streaming at the same time.

Be sure to run DDO off an SSD rather than an HDD for better load times.

What others have said - you don't need anything cutting edge to get the most out of DDO. Build to your budget and get a good balanced system - spend about 40% of your total budget on the GPU. You certainly don't need a 3080 if DDO is the most demanding thing you will be playing.
SLI and Crossfire are dead technologies, no longer needed.
AMD GPUs, and their drivers, are just fine these days (says a long time Nvidia fanboy), and their cards are better priced currently.

Jummby

a NVIDIA 3080 is good enough to have 100+FPS in Ultra for DDO in 3840x2160 aka 4K resolution on a 4K TV or monitor. They are also fairly cheap now, $600? Or you can get a 4070, I don't have one, but I would figure its the same performance there. Don't go AMD. It has driver issues, and you'll probably only get 30FPS in Ultra for 4K resolution with that Radeon RX 6500XT. Also, don't do SLI or Crossfire. DDO doesn't support it. DDO only supports alternate frame rendering for SLI.
Come on, an rtx3080 to play ddo? Yeah I get it the op is highest settings, but you need a card that has ray tracing??? My laptop has a 3060 in it. When I play highest settings no issues. A 1050ti on an older computer I have drops slightly under 80 depending on the raid or quest.

HoopleHead

Last I checked the 7600s were selling @ $230ish.. best bang for your buck

Edited to add: I just checked, they removed the $40 coupon it had.. so now it's $279 :(

Trayzun

I bought a Victus desktop computer from wal mart relatively cheap it runs DDO on the highest settings no lag without any problems just a plan B for you .

Zaszgul

Don't buy based on DDO, buy based on what OTHER (actually demanding) game(s) you want to play, or be able to play in the future.

Neilfladech

Runs well (120+) in 1440p ultra wide with my 3090. Also runs at 60fps on my steam deck most of the time with high to medium settings. (Which is an AMD APU BTW).

Spook

I have found DDO to be more CPU bound than GPU bound TBH ie I would get the best single core processor I could afford and worry less about the GPU as any modern GPU should run DDO adequately (even give intel a look thanks to the recent updates the price/performance seems really good)

Theo

I say it depends on what resolution you want to run DDO at ...
from my experience with NVDA cards over the years.
laptop version of the cards so you will have to guess the difference for desktop cards
  • 760: 4K at low settings about 50-60fps
  • 760: 1k at high setting 50-60fps
  • 1080: 4k medium-high setting 50-70fps (with a second 4k monitor I had to stay at medium to low settings - depending on what I was doing on the other one) but it worked pretty hard
  • 3080: dual 4k monitors: high settings between 300 - 500 fps depending on what I have running on the other monitor (I usually set a max of 120fps to keep the fans quiet)
hope that helps some

willox2112

I run DDO with a Radeon RX 570 (8 GB) at 2560 x 1440 and almost everything in High, Ultra High, etc.. A bit of stutter here and there, so I'm pretty sure anything beyond that GPU will be fine. DDO has low requirements, so don't sell a kidney for a high end GPU if DDO is your thing.
By the way... my CPU is also from 2012, Core i5 3570K, with 24 GB of system memory.

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
The upcoming game Starfield though, recommends an RTX 2080 TI (11GB DDR6) and a 650W minimum because it eats resources like a fat kid
on cake.
That's what I needed at the time to run my 5K2K monitor with 10-bit colour and HDR, though DDO itself is nowhere near that greedy. Well, at least I got the monitor itself at a massive discount from its original price (something like -85%) because so few people were buying them, and they decided to de-stock ...

That card was at the lower range of high end when I purchased it ; but you could easily use a mid-range 2023 card for similar performance at that sort of high monitor resolution.

Eventually, a simple silent multimedia card will be released with comparable specs.

If you've a monitor 4K or less, anything mid-range, possibly even upper low-range, certified HDR and 10-bit colour will do. NOT for DDO -- just for basic good performance of the monitor.

Last edited:

Stoner81

I'm still on a GTX970 here with maxed out settings (I think? Been a while since I actually checked). I do want to update/upgrade to play other games but pricing it just beyond outrageous right now!

Stoner81.

Lagin

rx6700xt, w/ Odyssey G7 qled 240hz screen. I run DDO upscaled to 2K around 250fps avg, some raids it drops to 150fps,

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I recently went from a 1070Ti to a 4070 which is wacky overkill for DDO. The 1070Ti worked exceptionally well, and it has already been said earlier, you don't really need a beefy card to run this game. As Zasgul mentioned earlier, you should probably make a card purchase based on the games you play with the highest graphical requirements.

Bjond

I have a suspicion that even Intel's integrated graphics devices (the gpu that is part of their CPU) could do it. If price is no object, check the price/performance curve for current cards and buy something at the peak -- typically one or two revs older than the latest thing. It will usually have all the bugs worked out and be much more stable than paying double for 13% higher FPS.

If price does matter, check the same curve and pick whatever you think looks good. I tend to favor higher cpu/gpu bandwidth and cooling over frame rate and/or OC potential these days. It's not 1998; over-clocking and watercooling won't make the slightest difference in actual play today, especially not for DDO.

Is there a hidden option that caps framerate in game? I know I do not have anything in the graphics menu that would cap the frames. I run a 3080ti and it will never go above 59 fps. 2k monitor at 144hz. I even tried turning everything low and having a lower resolution but alas it will no go any higher then 59 fps. My previous card was a 1080ti and that would max out at the harbor pushing 100fps. Maybe the fps counter is whack?