What stops me from spending money in this game.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
How divisive of you.

The fact is that many of these types of threads are extremely redundant when nothing is ever done to remedy these ongoing types of issues.

The game is borked and is not capable of supporting a large player base. Build a premise around that please and then enlighten all of us.
Kinda agree here. The game is resigned to be a niche, nostalgia based game.

erethizon1

Trying to earn expansions through playing the base game is sooooo crazy in terms of time and effort that I don't consider it a viable option.
I got 7000 favor last life before doing my racial TR. Playing the game is just playing each quest once for favor. Sure, you can skip most of the quests to get a past life faster, but you also skip playing most of the game (and games are hypothetically made to be played). Even if you just get 6000 favor a life (which is quite easy to do as you can skip 1500 favor worth of quests you dislike or don't own) you will get 1500 store points per life. Even expansions become pretty affordable when you are earning store points at that rate.

Archest

I spend points and augments to advance my characters in strength and protections as they are not multi past life . completionist is out of the question as I am premium and will never purchase all the content. fact was disappointed to find that I can not make a favored soul on HC because its unlocked on the live servers ( I haven't purchased it ). at most 5 life's on a character . I see the benefit of having past life buffs. I put a lot of hours in playing the game for about 8 years. I'm not a zerger, am an old table top player of D&D. Paid for paper back modules and hard cover Books. saw the days playing table top rpg on the computer @ wizards of the coast and AOL chat rooms.

The DDO experience is far too accommodating to solo play.
It is what it is.
Maybe a store sale on server transfers from $30.00 to $3.

Mordenkainen

I got 7000 favor last life before doing my racial TR. Playing the game is just playing each quest once for favor. Sure, you can skip most of the quests to get a past life faster, but you also skip playing most of the game (and games are hypothetically made to be played). Even if you just get 6000 favor a life (which is quite easy to do as you can skip 1500 favor worth of quests you dislike or don't own) you will get 1500 store points per life. Even expansions become pretty affordable when you are earning store points at that rate.

Read what I wrote.

Why is this so damn hard -- base game i.e. I just downloaded the game i.e. I have nothing but F2P quests. Per life you'll be earning at most 300~400 ddo points. And the grind to get to cap repeating the same F2P quests for lowered XP at various XP penalties is absolutely INSANE. It will take a vet ten times the amount of time to cap; a true newb...

200w.gif

Mordenkainen

You're not suppose to be able to get to 32 via F2p only. 10 easily, yes. 20? maybe with a lot of work. Beyond that you're expected to pay money.
That wasn't the discussion, if you followed it. It was about newbs basically trying this game for 2 hours, realize the enormous pay2access barrier, scoffing at the Model-T 2000's era graphics then peacing out/delete off computer.

Falkor

There is literally not a single thing you have stated to be found in OPs post. Are you sure you are on the right thread? Or is this another reading comprehension error?

Who are you even talking to and what are you even talking about?

I fully believe you deliberately troll and derail threads. And I know for a fact I am not the only one with this perspective.

erethizon1

Read what I wrote.

Why is this so damn hard -- base game i.e. I just downloaded the game i.e. I have nothing but F2P quests. Per life you'll be earning at most 300~400 ddo points. And the grind to get to cap repeating the same F2P quests for lowered XP at various XP penalties is absolutely INSANE. It will take a vet ten times the amount of time to cap; a true newb...
Yes, getting started as a fully F2P character is rough. At some point you are probably either going to spend some money or take advantage of a free quest code. I did many 100 favor runs on characters I made and then deleted back in the day, but this game is not much fun to repeat for just 100 favor (especially when you can only open normal).

Beast

How divisive of you.

The fact is that many of these types of threads are extremely redundant when nothing is ever done to remedy these ongoing types of issues.

The game is borked and is not capable of supporting a large player base. Build a premise around that please and then enlighten all of us.
Uhm, let me try to elaborate your statement.

Why there are so many threads like this one?
Maybe because we care?
Maybe because we want to let the developer know we care and we are aware and worried for the health of our game?
Or maybe we are just a bunch of kids having fun, watching all burning down to ashes...

The game is borked and niche?
Well it is niche, as is Ultima Online, Eve, Star wars the old Republic, Rift, Wildstar (rip), Age of Conan, Dark Age of Camelot, Secret World... heck even WoW is niche, because Mmo are all niche nowdays, the complete genre is niche by definition.
Even so, every company does it's best to get new players, to make the game feel alive, to captivate new audience.
This game as the same appeal to new players than having to go to a postal office to pay taxes in Italy, and trust me, unless you live here, you don't know what is like.
About your statement on the borked game, you are dead wrong my kind sir, we have a very talented developer (Tonquin) that has fixed more bugs in the few months than others have in years) so it's a matter of will.
So there is endeed hope for this game, the simple fact that you don't care about the state of the game or simply you like it this way (and trust me, it won't be forever if they continue down this path) is not my concern

Beast

Doooom doom doom doom dooooooooom!

Added for dramatic effect.😁👍
thank you for the useless addition and worthless, stale, sterile, unpassionate, simple and inconsequential post.
The sun will be wormer on your skin today after that, birds will fly over you humming and sining pleasant melodies that will warm up your heart, every dinner and every feast, heck even a simple glass of water will taste better, refreshing, like being drunk directly from the sping, incontaminated, in the highest mountain, where only the bravest eagles can dare to fly.
this are the benefits of such an high inspired, thoughtful and caring post, I bet on it.
happy holidays.
cheers

John3000

My pet peeve with this game is lack of storage and lack of QOL easy TRing, mostly due to lack of BTC storage.... Stopped TRing toons because it is such a painful process (beyond the first TR)

People want to be able to jump in and just play.... not spend hours doing inventory management, refarming items they already dropped but need to refarm because the lack of storage is ridiculous.. So many updates and items and still no storage.... :-( Seriously, put in a longterm storage NPC : limit withdrawls/deposits to 1 or 3 times per week to limit lag issues. The craft bank can already handle thousands of separate types of mats, so do the same with other items.... "Build it and they will come" :)

Otherwise take a close look at ElderScrollsOnline... They let you spawn an item you've already farmed, so you don't have to refarm it.... How cool is that ? It's an other clever solution to item related inventory problems if that storage NPC is out of your reach.

Cheers and Happy Holidays

Jack Jarvis Esquire

thank you for the useless addition and worthless, stale, sterile, unpassionate, simple and inconsequential post.
The sun will be wormer on your skin today after that, birds will fly over you humming and sining pleasant melodies that will warm up your heart, every dinner and every feast, heck even a simple glass of water will taste better, refreshing, like being drunk directly from the sping, incontaminated, in the highest mountain, where only the bravest eagles can dare to fly.
this are the benefits of such an high inspired, thoughtful and caring post, I bet on it.
happy holidays.
cheers
Yes! I feel it entirely synergistic to the banal inanity and utter inconsequence of the OP, though perhaps a tad too musical in delivery. 😂

You're welcome! 😁👍

Kheledon

My pet peeve with this game is lack of storage and lack of QOL easy TRing, mostly due to lack of BTC storage.... Stopped TRing toons because it is such a painful process (beyond the first TR)

People want to be able to jump in and just play.... not spend hours doing inventory management, refarming items they already dropped but need to refarm because the lack of storage is ridiculous.. So many updates and items and still no storage.... :-( Seriously, put in a longterm storage NPC : limit withdrawls/deposits to 1 or 3 times per week to limit lag issues. The craft bank can already handle thousands of separate types of mats, so do the same with other items.... "Build it and they will come" :)

Otherwise take a close look at ElderScrollsOnline... They let you spawn an item you've already farmed, so you don't have to refarm it.... How cool is that ? It's an other clever solution to item related inventory problems if that storage NPC is out of your reach.

Cheers and Happy Holidays
If my DDO gaming experience is any indication, storage is where SSG makes most of its money. There's no incentive for them to "fix" that.

Onyxia2016

The way I see it the arguments for not spending money are circular ones.
Not spending money as the game is in decline, it part of the reason the game it in decline.

I spend money on it but only enough to get what I consider good entertainment value. You buy a movie ticket you expect to get 2 maybe 2 1/2 hours for entertainment out of it. If I spend money on the game I expect to get an amount of play time and entertainment value, which I do.

Before any purchase simply ask yourself, How much entertainment time will this purchase get me? If the time you come up with seems like a good value to what you are spending, then its a good choice.

Notice I did not put any dollar amount anywhere. This is unique to the individual. I could spend $200 a month on this game easily, I don't as I do not feel I would get that much entertainment value out of it. My wife and I play on the weekends so roughly 8 days a month for around 5 to 6 hours a day. So in our case what is 40 - 48 hours of entertainment worth to us a month?

Some purchases have a lasting effect that need to be considered, like buying an iconic that is not available through favor, you can play that many times so it has a lasting effect.

Something like an Otto's box has a more fixed entertainment value as once the consumables are used its value ends.

The truth is any game needs to have those willing to pay for the entertainment or it will surely cease to exist. This is not in any way meant to shame anyone in to spending money. It is simple an alternative view on purchases that focuses on the purchase itself and not all other the politics and complaints surrounding the game.

Mordenkainen

If my DDO gaming experience is any indication, storage is where SSG makes most of its money. There's no incentive for them to "fix" that.
This...

It's why they will never spend money on building a proper inventory management system.

The Narc

Uhm, let me try to elaborate your statement.

Why there are so many threads like this one?
Maybe because we care?
Maybe because we want to let the developer know we care and we are aware and worried for the health of our game?
Or maybe we are just a bunch of kids having fun, watching all burning down to ashes...

The game is borked and niche?
Well it is niche, as is Ultima Online, Eve, Star wars the old Republic, Rift, Wildstar (rip), Age of Conan, Dark Age of Camelot, Secret World... heck even WoW is niche, because Mmo are all niche nowdays, the complete genre is niche by definition.
Even so, every company does it's best to get new players, to make the game feel alive, to captivate new audience.
This game as the same appeal to new players than having to go to a postal office to pay taxes in Italy, and trust me, unless you live here, you don't know what is like.
About your statement on the borked game, you are dead wrong my kind sir, we have a very talented developer (Tonquin) that has fixed more bugs in the few months than others have in years) so it's a matter of will.
So there is endeed hope for this game, the simple fact that you don't care about the state of the game or simply you like it this way (and trust me, it won't be forever if they continue down this path) is not my concern
Tonquin has been a shining star in a somewhat dull night sky. Unfortunately Tonquin doesnt sit at the table where decisions about the game are made, thats where the real issues are.

Fizban

OP you're entitled to your opinion but not your own facts. The fact is that DDO is far off from being ignored by Developers, Management, and any other SSG staff. They literally provide:
  • Game maintenance once per week
  • Adventure pack updates 3 to 4 times per year
  • Expansion packs once every 1-2 years or so
  • Constant DDO store sales and updates
  • Communication through multiple avenues to include forums, discord, weekly podcasts, etc...
You're living in a world of your own facts that simply put does not exist, wake up. Name any game ever that keeps their game updates and fresh over a 17 year plus timeframe more than DDO, you can't. There may be some that do or come close but not more.

The Narc

The way I see it the arguments for not spending money are circular ones.
Not spending money as the game is in decline, it part of the reason the game it in decline.

I spend money on it but only enough to get what I consider good entertainment value. You buy a movie ticket you expect to get 2 maybe 2 1/2 hours for entertainment out of it. If I spend money on the game I expect to get an amount of play time and entertainment value, which I do.

Before any purchase simply ask yourself, How much entertainment time will this purchase get me? If the time you come up with seems like a good value to what you are spending, then its a good choice.

Notice I did not put any dollar amount anywhere. This is unique to the individual. I could spend $200 a month on this game easily, I don't as I do not feel I would get that much entertainment value out of it. My wife and I play on the weekends so roughly 8 days a month for around 5 to 6 hours a day. So in our case what is 40 - 48 hours of entertainment worth to us a month?

Some purchases have a lasting effect that need to be considered, like buying an iconic that is not available through favor, you can play that many times so it has a lasting effect.

Something like an Otto's box has a more fixed entertainment value as once the consumables are used its value ends.

The truth is any game needs to have those willing to pay for the entertainment or it will surely cease to exist. This is not in any way meant to shame anyone in to spending money. It is simple an alternative view on purchases that focuses on the purchase itself and not all other the politics and complaints surrounding the game.
I use to be like minded in my approach to the game and spending, in actual fact the value you get out of money spent is far better than you would get in the real workd.

But…

And the big BUT is that they have totally insulted me and others i have played with that enjoyed parts of the entertainment that they provided at a paid cost with no real rational as to why to take that entertainment away and some forms of that entertainment were even beneficial to new players coming to the game. The big one that comes to mind is the cargo buffs(the only people that didnt like cargo buffs were those zerg questing for past lives running pots because people wanted to go get buffs)

At the time they tried to rationale this as it made low level quests too easy, for vets low level quests are easy(even more so for past lifers), so actual this only hurt new player retention. But the real smoke and mirrors of this change had nothing to do with the low level quests in heroic, it was for the mid level quests in heroic where mobs dispel you or beholders remove your buffs(they did not mention it anywhere), this was the true place where this change had impact and all that was done for onoy two purposes: to slow player progress and to hopefully cause more death that at that level range could potentially mean buying rez cakes from the store.

Again the approach and delivery was just insulting to my intelligence and game knowledge and at the time people on the forums blindly believed what they were saying or said the cargo buffs were a waist of time, obvioously they werent and this can be proven by standing around the house p buffer on the first life start from scratch hardcore server(plenty of people coming and going from that buffer)

So yes i have comlaints(not politics as those are not allowed in forums) and until they start respected our intelligence i will continue to invoke the dont spend policy with myself and others who game around me, its their meal on the table and whatever other luxurious lifestyles that will be put at risk by their continued bad behaviour and if you dont make a stand against dont expect anything to change.