What the heck is on my screen

SiliconScout

So been away quite a while and I can't help but notice this ugly silver bar with 2 green pips on it in the middle of my screen. I mean it looks like something a color blind handicapped trek fan mocked up in his basement for his cosplay. It's just incredibly distracting.

What is it there for?
What does it mean?
Why doesn't it match the rest of the UI?

Thanks

ducki

The Ugly Duckling
You can tumble infinitely, but it takes 8 seconds to regain 1 tumble charge, so once you run out, you're going to have to wait. Why does it exist? Don't know mate, I don't like it either, apparently moving was too OP though, so they nerfed it. Next it will be step charges.

Ungermax

Master Artificer
What the hell are "tumble charges".

Like can you only tumble twice per quest now or two times in a row??

Why the hell does something like that even exist?
Ok bear with me.

Tumble charges recuperate every 8 seconds.

Now. What happened was, SSG introduced an Experimental tumble which meant you could trigger it while running (previously you could only do it while stood still). But you tumble faster than you run, and so the experimental tumble they brought in just meant that everyone was fast now, you dont run you tumble, and you moved waaaaay faster (I miss it to be fair because it was fast and fun :D ) And so to counter it, they introduced charges to it, so the tumble is still more useful than it once was as you can do it mid sprint, but you can only do it twice to begin with and have to wait 8 seconds for a charge to recuperate. The game tracks individual charges correctly and so you could in theory do 1 charge every 4 seconds if you time it right, you get the idea. You can also get more Tumble charges from multiple sources I believe but I havent looked into that.

So yes it is odd, but. It is the middle ground SSG found so that we can keep the more recent version of tumble without exploiting it.

DDO Gaming

Now. What happened was, SSG introduced an Experimental tumble which meant you could trigger it while running (previously you could only do it while stood still). But you tumble faster than you run, and so the experimental tumble they brought in just meant that everyone was fast now, you dont run you tumble, and you moved waaaaay faster (I miss it to be fair because it was fast and fun :D ) And so to counter it, they introduced charges to it, so the tumble is still more useful than it once was as you can do it mid sprint, but you can only do it twice to begin with and have to wait 8 seconds for a charge to recuperate. The game tracks individual charges correctly and so you could in theory do 1 charge every 4 seconds if you time it right, you get the idea. You can also get more Tumble charges from multiple sources I believe but I havent looked into that.

So yes it is odd, but. It is the middle ground SSG found so that we can keep the more recent version of tumble without exploiting it.
so current tumble is better than tumbling whilst standing still?

Genkiba

So been away quite a while and I can't help but notice this ugly silver bar with 2 green pips on it in the middle of my screen. I mean it looks like something a color blind handicapped trek fan mocked up in his basement for his cosplay. It's just incredibly distracting.

What is it there for?
What does it mean?
Why doesn't it match the rest of the UI?

Thanks
Stay classy.

Ungermax

Master Artificer
so current tumble is better than tumbling whilst standing still?
It's not a game changer but it is (slightly) better than it used to be. It at least makes a bit more sense, unless you actually think people can only to a forward roll while standing still

droid327

You missed out on the whole Tumble saga but here's the need-to-know now...

Tumble now gives you a 1-sec buff of 95% uncapped Dodge and bonus Reflex. This makes Tumbling an effective way to avoid short-term damage, if you can time it right.

Because there's now a buff associated with it, its charge-limited, with charges recharging every 8 secs

SiliconScout

If the point of the tumble change was to give a short term dodge buff then could they not have just slowed down your speed when tumbling to, at best, match your normal movement speed?

I mean that seems more reasonable than adding yet another resource and UI element for the game to track.

And SSG wonders why it has to keep playing what-a-mole with lag. Seems every other change they make they add a new source of lag and then marvel at how they can't seem to settle it down.

LurkingVeteran

I think the changes were a good idea, tumble was kind of useless before. Now it's situationally useful for almost any build. Execution could have been a bit better. The charges are there so you can't 100% tumble-dodge-tank.

The_Apocalypse

I think tumble charges was a way to get me to open my options and disable something else to get it off my screen. Should have it start out hidden.

PraetorPlato

If they reverted the original changes (to before the experiment started) most people would've stop tumbling across quests.
The patch introducing experimental tumble did two things: removed the end delay on tumble, and added experimental tumble. The first thing is what made tumble way faster than running, the second is what makes it easy to do. If they revert both changes, tumble becomes useless again and nobody uses it again. If they revert just the second, they don't solve the speed issue. If the revert just the first thing, then the end delay makes experimental tumble painful to use, and probably worse than current implementation (because you can't double-tumble out of aoes, etc.).