What's the point of Saltmarsh Discovery Potion (from VIP) if..

dur

aka Cybersquirt
..it also times in ANY adventure area. Jeebus, JUST MAKE IT A DISCOVERY POT. Punks got me to BUY the Ultimate Saltmarsh n now the timer's running while I'm in 3BC. Fuggin GIMICK. šŸ˜”

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
I'm not sure I follow. A Discovery Pot also runs the timer in any adventure area. So there would be no difference in making it the Saltmarsh VIP Discovery Pot into a normal Discovery Pot.

Unless your concern is with something else about it instead?

J1NG

FuzzyDuck81

It'd be nice if it was a multi-charge (say 10 uses?) clicky that worked more like the treasure maps, so you hit it then have a shorter buff duration just to open the chest(s), it wouldn't feel like you were wasting the time.

J1NG

I think the problem with that approach, is that in some instances, the multi-charge approach is very specific and limited with what it can achieve. Not all players are after particular chests only, and in some cases like fast explorers chests that can drop named (Saltmarsh itself for example), having a charge based system penalises those players unnecessarily running those chests in the explorer. Or when they are in a fast zerg group of end game quests.

You might have better luck asking for such a buff item to be specifically made where players who are after a specific use (differently priced as well), can grab this (new buff item) instead of a general all around use like the existing Discovery Potions.

J1NG

dur

aka Cybersquirt
I'm not sure I follow. A Discovery Pot also runs the timer in any adventure area. So there would be no difference in making it the Saltmarsh VIP Discovery Pot into a normal Discovery Pot.

Unless your concern is with something else about it instead?

J1NG
It's called a Saltmarsh Discovery Potion.. given to VIP persons. It's timer continues in Wilds outside Saltmarsh. Better?

I'm beginning to think you are fuzzy. *** is a "multi-charge approach"?

My "concern" is with it's name.

Last edited:

J1NG

It's called a Saltmarsh Discovery Potion.. given to VIP persons. It's timer continues in Wilds outside Saltmarsh. Better?

This still does not explain anything.

The VIP Saltmarsh potions were always known to be Potions of Discovery that were branded with Saltmarh and VIP in it's name, but otherwise are 100% idential to normal Potions of Discovery. Why should they not function (and hence tick down) elsewhere that is classed as an adventure?

J1NG

J1NG

My "concern" is with it's name.
There is a functional reason why the difference for the name as well; the Saltmarsh VIP are BTC, whilst standard Potions of Discovery are BTA. This helps players recognise which ones are moveable to other characters via the Shared Bank and which are not.

J1NG

J1NG

The multi-charge approach that @FuzzyDuck81 was suggesting, is basically a clicky with x amount of charges. When activated, it gives you a super short 30 second (as an example) identical buff that the Potion of Discovery gives.

This would have it's own set of advantages and disadvantages. Namely if you are in a high named chest drop area such as Saltmarsh explorer, this approach would be very poor to use. Where the standard Potion of Discovery would give you a more benefit by being activte for all chests for the 3 hour duration instead of the x amount of charges. This multi-charge approach would be more useful for in quest looting, where you really only want it in certain chests only.

J1NG

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Devs need to come up with generics. *AND CLUE US IN 'lest they be accused of intentionally misleading people :eek: LOL

Kyrr

The multi-charge approach that @FuzzyDuck81 was suggesting, is basically a clicky with x amount of charges. When activated, it gives you a super short 30 second (as an example) identical buff that the Potion of Discovery gives.

This would have it's own set of advantages and disadvantages. Namely if you are in a high named chest drop area such as Saltmarsh explorer, this approach would be very poor to use. Where the standard Potion of Discovery would give you a more benefit by being activte for all chests for the 3 hour duration instead of the x amount of charges. This multi-charge approach would be more useful for in quest looting, where you really only want it in certain chests only.

J1NG
I think it would be more of a quality life approach to introduce charges rather than a potion timer identical to Experience Potions or Slayer Potions. I think 60 charges 1 minute each would be an interesting benefit. It would help with having accidents in real life or being extra cautious with a group who rather flower sniffs, which would avoid burning so much consumption.

Now, obviously they wouldn't do that because of the end game population being able to use the most of out of the charges in R10 content, but it would help the general 99% population that doesn't push reaper content and/or are flower sniffers.

J1NG

I think it would be more of a quality life approach to introduce charges rather than a potion timer identical to Experience Potions or Slayer Potions. I think 60 charges 1 minute each would be an interesting benefit. It would help with having accidents in real life or being extra cautious with a group who rather flower sniffs, which would avoid burning so much consumption.

It'll likely have to be a separate item, to cover for the issues raised; it's not suitable for all instances of use where the existing Potion of Discovery has it's intended design and use factored in already.

This would then also allow SSG to set an "appropriate" price for being able to select which chests can get the boost. And given they likely don't want to give such a strong chance to obtain a named item specifically where players want it, likely will be at a lower level to that found on Potions of Discovery.

Although I doubt you would get 60 charges. More likely than not a total of 15 or maybe 20 at best.

Now, obviously they wouldn't do that because of the end game population being able to use the most of out of the charges in R10 content, but it would help the general 99% population that doesn't push reaper content and/or are flower sniffers.

That's precisely the issue and why if it does get made, you might see other limtations on it. Like a 3 day timer, even though it's charge based. This means that it can't get abused in Raids. But players will be able to choose where they want to hedge their bets (likely at a reduced rate compared to the general Potion of Discovery).

J1NG

HoopleHead

Professional treasure hunters have a kind of 'routine'

Do the quest right up to the chest, summon the alt who has the active pot ... loot chest.... drop alt.

Wash, rinse, repeat

Sylvado

..it also times in ANY adventure area. Jeebus, JUST MAKE IT A DISCOVERY POT. Punks got me to BUY the Ultimate Saltmarsh n now the timer's running while I'm in 3BC. Fuggin GIMICK. šŸ˜”
If it only worked in Saltmarsh you would complain that it was useless for it to only work for a small number of quests.