Why chain so many quests together, it really destroys party cohesion.

TedSandyman

It really amazes me how people find new ways to complain about this game, when the problem is the players themselves.
The game mechanics of grouping are so incredibly convenient and easy in DDO (almost) anybody can do it.
Nothing, and I mean literally nothing, stops anyone from grouping together.
The problem is usually that no one wants to wait to form a party BEFORE they start questing.... they run to the quest then post a LFM as they start hoping others may join. When people join later, say on the 2nd or 3rd part of a chain they almost never are willing to rerun the previous quest for others who missed them.
Ravenloft in particular is split into 3 parts by level, which makes it extremely convenient for grouping. You can also red door quests you may not have flagged for as others have said. I can't remember ever having much difficulty finding a group to run Ravenloft with, heroic or epic. If I join late I can usually find another group to finish up the chain/saga with. If you like questing with some one then add them to your friend list and keep in touch - you can quest together whenever you want if you stay within level range.
I have to agree 100% with this.

You CAN red door most quests. You CAN rerun quests to help people out. 90% of this game it is possible for you to group with anyone regardless of your flagging status. And for the other 10%, if you really want to group with someone, just rerun the quests.

I have rerun quests for others. I have been in groups where we rerun quests. Yesterday, I was in a group doing the Kings Forest series. One person joined late and missed Impossible Demands, but while we started the last quest, a couple of the members reran impossible demands with that person to catch up. They could have red doored it. But a few of the members knew this person and wanted to help them out.

The only "jerks" are the ones who wont do this. (I'm not calling anyone a jerk, note the quotes, I am simply responding to someone who called the devs jerks for building this system.) This thread is basically "Please change the game dramatically to make it a little bit easier for me because I don't want to take the time to show basic courtesy to help someone out."

Now let me be clear that I don't care one way or the other. You play how you want to play. If you don't want to take the time to help someone else out, fine. Most don't. Even I get annoyed sometimes when I am in a group in a long quest and then have to wait a VERY long time at the end when someone joins.

What bothers me is the whining and complaining and the attacking of the developers and vitriol I hear in these threads over something that, for 90% of the time, isn't a problem.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
Given The new quest series are almost all lockout free I'm guessing the reason (mostly) older quests are still in the state they are is the work required would be time consuming in the extreme.

I am somewhat disappointed when catacombs and delaras were reworked they didn't get rid of the chaining. Though if you are in a party with someone who is on the chain you can redbox most, if not all, the quests.

popejubal

I saw what you wrote. You acknowledge the rules have bugged you from the start. So complain you do now?
I've asked for this for more than a decade. Not sure why you think that the fact that you either haven't seen me asking for it or you don't remember me asking for it somehow means this is suddenly a new issue for me. I've seen people asking for this for more than a decade.

popejubal

The only "jerks" are the ones who wont do this. (I'm not calling anyone a jerk, note the quotes, I am simply responding to someone who called the devs jerks for building this system.) This thread is basically "Please change the game dramatically to make it a little bit easier for me because I don't want to take the time to show basic courtesy to help someone out."
Slightly different rephrasing:
"Please change the game in this modest way to make it a little bit easier because we know that other players won't take the time to re-run those quests."

...If I'm not flagged for the quest, then I'm not the one refusing to run the previous quests a second time (for less than 1/2 the XP, by the way) because I haven't run those quests the first time yet.

Ahpuch

Another reason to remove quest chaining in old quests. When something bugs, it can prevent access to the remaining quests in the chain:
Wherever the fight finishes up, whether Ana is close to the door, far away from it, in line of sight of it, with line of sight blocked, it makes no difference. She stands still, offers to try, then doesn't do a thing. The most I can get out of her is a slight turn on the spot.

Much as I would love to skip the quest and move on, it's a prerequisite for the next quest.

tsotate

Another reason to remove quest chaining in old quests. When something bugs, it can prevent access to the remaining quests in the chain:
Indeed, this is why some old chains have been partly undone. The VoN chain-giver, for example, used to bug out the whole chain often enough that they made him (and quest order except the (pre)raid) no longer matter.

konstantinbg19

Sure, that'd be a compromise. But are we talking Sagas or "chain quests," or both? Sagas? Hell no.
Dude you have been one of the most toxically argumentative people ever and your comments make no sense. I will break it down here, so let's hope you can understand. Otherwise you are just trolling as I have no other explanation for your comments.

The story is not for everyone, just because you enjoy it doesn't mean others HAVE TO. You can enjoy the story on your own without forcing other people, can you explain to me why do you want to force other people to play the way YOU want to?
Second, even if we took your model of forcing everyone to do the same story more, quest by quest model, how many times do you think we have to reincarnate and repeat the same story before we can do it the way we want. Even with books like a song of ice and fire. I skip through pages because I've read them 8-9 times, so even in the most story-esk of story mediums which is books, your annoying logic doesn't apply. People skip through books all the time, so explain to me why we can't stop through dungeons?

Can you please not comment on my posts with your annoying comments, it's frankly irritating to read them. I have never met a person who is so lacking of understanding of what other people are telling them while being just flat out being like "I want this game to be less fun for no reason"

Last edited:

konstantinbg19

I have to agree 100% with this.

You CAN red door most quests. You CAN rerun quests to help people out. 90% of this game it is possible for you to group with anyone regardless of your flagging status. And for the other 10%, if you really want to group with someone, just rerun the quests.

I have rerun quests for others. I have been in groups where we rerun quests. Yesterday, I was in a group doing the Kings Forest series. One person joined late and missed Impossible Demands, but while we started the last quest, a couple of the members reran impossible demands with that person to catch up. They could have red doored it. But a few of the members knew this person and wanted to help them out.

Now let me be clear that I don't care one way or the other. You play how you want to play. If you don't want to take the time to help someone else out, fine. Most don't. Even I get annoyed sometimes when I am in a group in a long quest and then have to wait a VERY long time at the end when someone joins.

What bothers me is the whining and complaining and the attacking of the developers and vitriol I hear in these threads over something that, for 90% of the time, isn't a problem.
Do I really need to explain to you the issue with red dooring?
Let's say I am on the barovia quests and i red door the von richten quests. if my party doesn't finish the last few quests and just did the starting few, I still have to repeat them... so I can unlock the last quests

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Dude you have been one of the most toxically argumentative people ever and your comments make no sense. I will break it down here, so let's hope you can understand. Otherwise you are just trolling as I have no other explanation for your comments.

The story is not for everyone, just because you enjoy it doesn't mean others HAVE TO. You can enjoy the story on your own without forcing other people, can you explain to me why do you want to force other people to play the way YOU want to?
Second, even if we took your model of forcing everyone to do the same story more, quest by quest model, how many times do you think we have to reincarnate and repeat the same story before we can do it the way we want. Even with books like a song of ice and fire. I skip through pages because I've read them 8-9 times, so even in the most story-esk of story mediums which is books you annoying logic doesn't apply. People skip through books all the time.

Can you please not comment on my posts with your annoying comments, it's frankly irritating to read them. I have never met a person who is so lacking of understanding of what other people are telling them while being just flat out being like "I want this game to be less fun for no reason"
Wow.. I've managed to upset some Forum *Paladins.*** "Sorry you don't appreciate my flip attitude." In fact, yours is downright hostile. Where have I been hostile? Where have I attacked you, personally? One of the Most Toxic? :ROFLMAO:

This game was based on Dungeons and Dragons. Lore. The lockout has been this way forever. Change or not, little do I care, for the record. But damn, I've been banned for less.

*that would include anyone that repped it. This is a public forum, last I checked.

**Just because you don't like the rules, that have existed since the dawn of DnD/DDO, doesn't mean they won't change. But it also doesn't give anyone license to be beligerant.

***I misspoke. You 2 ain't paladins, you're bullies. And "C let's me out" because I'm not an animal, @Notadrizztvariant

Last edited:

Smokewolf

Why chain so many quests together, it really destroys party cohesion. I was playing curse of strahd module, and a guy wanted to it together but he was quests behind. Why not make them free for all, especially on true reincarnations... chaining quests is such an outdated mechanic really ruins the fun of playing with the other people
To annoy you obviously.

konstantinbg19

Wow.. I've managed to upset some Forum *Paladins. "Sorry you don't appreciate my flip attitude." In fact, yours is downright hostile. Where have I been hostile? Where have I attacked you, personally? One of the Most Toxic? :ROFLMAO:

This game was based on Dungeons and Dragons. Lore. The lockout has been this way forever. Change or not, little do I care, for the record. But damn, I've been banned for less.

*that would include anyone that repped it. This is a public forum, last I checked.

**Just because you don't like the rules, that have existed since the dawn of DnD/DDO, doesn't mean they won't change. But it also doesn't give anyone license to be beligerant.
You are the forum paladin here, or should I say hell-knight, peak irony that you lack such self-reflection. Acting like you own the place, and you are the one who dictates what is right and wrong despite your arguments already being dismantled like a Christmas tree after the holidays.

It seems like you do care because you keep telling others what is right and wrong, and again being proven wrong by several people here with much better arguments, when your only argument is , "I WANT THIS TO BE LESS FUN BECAUSE I LIKE IT THAT WAY"

Thanks for proving you are a troll tho, you went from insane extreme takes to - I don't care in a second when called out for trolling.
The rules have been changed and the new model is very obvious to make it play by choice, not play by chain.

Also just because you are being passive-aggressive and trolling, doesn't mean you are not toxic. We all know what you are doing, not using profanity doesn't mean you are not toxic, it means you are a coward hiding behind the polite language to be an atrocious troll

Last edited:

Notadrizztvariant

You are the forum paladin here, or should I say hell-knight, peak irony that you lack such self-reflection. Acting like you own the place, and you are the one who dictates what is right and wrong despite your arguments already being dismantled like a Christmas tree after the holidays.

It seems like you do care because you keep telling others what is right and wrong, and again being proven wrong by several people here with much better arguments, when your only argument is , "I WANT THIS TO BE LESS FUN BECAUSE I LIKE IT THAT WAY"

Thanks for proving you are a troll tho, you went from insane extreme takes to - I don't care in a second when called out for trolling.
The rules have been changed and the new model is very obvious to make it play by choice, not play by chain.

Also just because you are being passive-aggressive and trolling, doesn't mean you are not toxic. We all know what you are doing, not using profanity doesn't mean you are not toxic, it means you are a coward hiding behind the polite language to be an atrocious troll
don't engage him. he is inciting fights all the time regardless of topic. i don't know why C lets him out of his lttle penalty box again and again, but it is what it is. just ignore or at least be amused by his ramblings.

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
Sweetheart, I am on my 20 something life, I don't need to hear the same story 50 times, are you okay up there in the head?
i'm not your sweatheart and not a donkey running the content so many times that it becomes corrosively frustrated (nothing personal about you, but only comments from players here and there other the time).
As for my head , pretty well since I don't play content that I don't enjoy. And you ?

Last edited:

konstantinbg19

i'm not your sweatheart and not a donkey running the content so many times that it becomes corrosively frustrated (nothing personal about you, but only comments from players here and there other the time).
As for my head , pretty well since I don't play content that I don't enjoy. And you ?
Weird way to admit you don't play the game and have nothing relevant to say, tho you need to level up your forum game as well. I can barely understand what you are saying , corrosively frustrated, dude, we are literally talking about unchaining quests so people can play together.
Imagine having a worse take than being like NO, I DON'T WANT PEOPLE PLAYING TOGETHER AND HAVING FUN.

konstantinbg19

Wow.. I've managed to upset some Forum *Paladins. "Sorry you don't appreciate my flip attitude." In fact, yours is downright hostile. Where have I been hostile? Where have I attacked you, personally? One of the Most Toxic? :ROFLMAO:

I went through your other comments and boy oh boy , its ironic you deny you are a troll, when everyone can see it.
The bane of all trolls, a post and comments option for your profile

konstantinbg19

don't engage him. he is inciting fights all the time regardless of topic. i don't know why C lets him out of his lttle penalty box again and again, but it is what it is. just ignore or at least be amused by his ramblings.
I went through his profile and u are right. Got frustrated at the start before I saw his profile, I was like what is going on.

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
Weird way to admit you don't play the game and have nothing relevant to say, tho you need to level up your forum game as well. I can barely understand what you are saying , corrosively frustrated, dude, we are literally talking about unchaining quests so people can play together.
Imagine having a worse take than being like NO, I DON'T WANT PEOPLE PLAYING TOGETHER AND HAVING FUN.
that 's an interpretation of my answer, which can be turned into : 'I play the content that I like so i'm all good', with ambiguity. :)

Was it so impossible to wait for your friend to finish of the first quests ? an XP-pot on timer ?

Falkor

Looks like someone is reaching my levels of fed-up with the antics of certain people in this forum. :) It's funny, but not funny. Don't let such people ruin yer holidays.

The thing about calling out toxic people is that,

1. If they weren't toxic they wouldn't need to be called out.
2. Because they are toxic, they aren't worth any effort in the first place. They are incapable of listening, and engaging them only brings out deflection, defensiveness, more abuse and projection. Toxic people aren't going to suddenly listen, instead its like kicking a nest of cockroaches and they all start scurrying.

Considering the recent age poll that shows most of the player base is well over 30, there is literally no reasoning with such people. They are incapable of basic, respectful conversation.

As for the topic about chains and threading quests together, yes ... it'd be great if we could red door everything, and if flagging for raids remained thru reincarnation.

But this is the system we have and I'm not going to lose sleep or joy over it.

I just end up losing party members who can't run along because of a lame lock-out mechanism. And really, there is no point in discussing this because those of us who wish it will change won't ever see our wishes acknowledged, let alone implemented. This is the SSG way.