Why is it IMPOSSIBLE for SSG to code hirelings to behave as instructed?

The Narc

I can get it to work in there, and everywhere, consistently.

Turn on passive after summoning first time. Summon hire to lever. WAIT until the cooldown on the hireling hotbar has run out. THEN click stand ground. Then the hireling doesn't run off and die.
This for the win, always wait for the cooldown to expire after summoning your hire to a location without you moving from that location. Then toggle the stand your ground icon and make sure also on passive before moving your own toon from the location you want your hire to be at.

To explain the best i can from my experience;
If you call your hireling to you and then you place them on stand your ground before the cooldown is done, the hireling considers itself on stand your ground at yiur new current location when you command it to do something like pull a lever. So in this case it will pull the lever then try to move to you thru the barriers in POP.

As Dandonk indicated if you call the hireling and wait for cooldown to expire first then place the passive and stand your ground commands before moving from your location that you summoned the hireling to, you will then be able to enter the room and have the hireling pull lever without moving to your location at the time you commanded it to pull the lever.

Mokune

This for the win, always wait for the cooldown to expire after summoning your hire to a location without you moving from that location. Then toggle the stand your ground icon and make sure also on passive before moving your own toon from the location you want your hire to be at.

If you call your hireling to you and then you place them on stand your ground before the cooldown is done, the hireling considers itself on stand your ground at yiur new current location when you command it to do something like pull a lever. So in this case it will pull the lever then try to move to you thru the barriers in POP.

As Dandonk indicated if you call the hireling and wait for cooldown to expire first then place the passive and stand your ground commands before moving from your location that you summoned the hireling to, you will then be able to enter the room and have the hireling pull lever without moving to your location at the time you commanded it to pull the lever.
Will try this soon in Epic PoP and report. Sounds easy enough.

Reactions: DBZ

Ahpuch

Yes (and thanks for the tip). But we shouldn't have to. It is a bug. One of many hireling bugs that should get fixed if SSG wants to sell us hirelings.

Last edited:

Lori

It has to do with server load, I believe.
They work better with less load, and are able to process their queues.
With high or very high load they skip instructions and do what they like.

Big issue in that one demonweb quest, because annoying having to run to the gate every time and place it.

The Narc

It has to do with server load, I believe.
They work better with less load, and are able to process their queues.
With high or very high load they skip instructions and do what they like.

Big issue in that one demonweb quest, because annoying having to run to the gate every time and place it.
Again if done as written above you will only need to place the hire correctly once and it will stay in place.

Wizard

Hireling AI seem to work best if you can leave them on follow and aggressive (or passive but heals often come very late with that setting) without issueing any specific commands.

But that only works in quests where there are not too many traps, lava/floor electricity etc, too much open space or verticality (hirelings want to attack a mobs 100 yards away or on the third floor)
And only on lower difficulties, elite at level is already pushing it for most hires, especially from high heroic onwards. Higher difficulties require "parking" and then they are only a glorified healing potion, or a lot of manual commands which will soon make them bug out.

If you can't fix AI soon, please atleast adjust hireling strength, they could really use some PRR;, MRR; higher saves and HP.

Also Rogue hires need higher skills and should use a ranged weapon in combat to not die immediately; meelees need more MP, offensive casters more SP (because they spam spells nonstop). Otherwise the non healing hires are all useless past like lvl 5.

The Narc

Hireling AI seem to work best if you can leave them on follow and aggressive (or passive but heals often come very late with that setting) without issueing any specific commands.

But that only works in quests where there are not too many traps, lava/floor electricity etc, too much open space or verticality (hirelings want to attack a mobs 100 yards away or on the third floor)
And only on lower difficulties, elite at level is already pushing it for most hires, especially from high heroic onwards. Higher difficulties require "parking" and then they are only a glorified healing potion, or a lot of manual commands which will soon make them bug out.

If you can't fix AI soon, please atleast adjust hireling strength, they could really use some PRR;, MRR; higher saves and HP.

Also Rogue hires need higher skills and should use a ranged weapon in combat to not die immediately; meelees need more MP, offensive casters more SP (because they spam spells nonstop). Otherwise the non healing hires are all useless past like lvl 5.
I think that you need to understand that hireling survivability cones down to several factors which include, the players ability to actively manage the hireling while questing, quest knowledge as to know when to manage the continuance of a hirelings current state of activity, and of course a players ability to do damage including the party surrounding said such player(this means maintaining agro away from the hirelings). When i am running non permadeath i am easily running with a hireling on Reaper 1 or Reaper 2 with almost no hireling deaths and with toons that have less than 5 past lives.

Hirelings are not meant to be easy buttons so you can simply stroll thru content although they certainly can help accomplish that when managed correctly. Unfortunately the most common misconception is that people think a hireling cleric will be there to keep you alive during combat and that is not a feasible thought process in this current iteration of DDO.

Mokune

I can get it to work in there, and everywhere, consistently.

Turn on passive after summoning first time. Summon hire to lever. WAIT until the cooldown on the hireling hotbar has run out. THEN click stand ground. Then the hireling doesn't run off and die.
This worked beautifully for me in both PoP and Reclaiming the Rift. REALLLLLLLY appreciate the tip.

Vua

I've been a proponent of permanent gold seal hirelings and fixing their AI (possibly funded by gold seal purchases).

I actually think they are worse now than when I started. The "fixes" they half-heartedly attempted years ago seem to be part of our current problems.
There is no doubt. They were fairly good at taking care of you and themselves when first released, but they did cause some lag. There was also the game stopping lag if they got hit by any persistent spell. You could prevent it by turning off all hireling feedback in chat, but too many people screamed, and rightly so. When that fix went in the hirelings were never the same. I'm guessing lag is one of the reasons they have been left in this state.

Wizard

When i am running non permadeath i am easily running with a hireling on Reaper 1 or Reaper 2 with almost no hireling deaths and with toons that have less than 5 past lives.

Hirelings are not meant to be easy buttons so you can simply stroll thru content although they certainly can help accomplish that when managed correctly. Unfortunately the most common misconception is that people think a hireling cleric will be there to keep you alive during combat and that is not a feasible thought process in this current iteration of DDO.
Thing is: Careful hireling management is tedious and still can bug out. I rather do a lower difficulty and treat hirelings as portable shrine / healing potion than to deal with those annoyances.

Also DDO will be compared to other MMOs by players. And it's the only MMO I can think of where hirelings have very buggy AI and too low stats for the most played difficulties.