Why is this character being refered as they instead of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaleFox

Ahh the good old formal denotation of They in a language invented to not have formal or sex denotations.

NightHiker

On a last note, unless provoked by someone who actually seems to know what they're talking about, I'd just like to add it would be really sad if the moderators did erase this thread, as some alluded to. This is about ever increasing but already robust body of scientific research informing decades if not centuries of constructive dialogue in Ethics and Moral Philosophy. It's about basic rights and actual freedom for people to be whoever they are. There's a lot of good discussion and source material for people interested on learning more, no matter where they land in the political spectrum (which is also not binary, by the way ;) ).

Cheers,
NH

PaleFox

It is a bit ridicolous to say that something that is correlated to about 0.99 have nothing to do with each other....

Biological sex is binary. Male and female. It's not a spectrum just because there are occasional malfomities.

As for the OP, it's probably just a dev who wrote themselves into the story, in which case it is fine.
The topic of sexes is waaaaay wider than only to declare that of human beings, it ventures deep into the zones of plain tangible objects and things that are nothing more than constructs of the mind. There is a lot in nature that doesn't hold up to a male/female role and not just to reproduce.

Shear-buckler

The topic of sexes is waaaaay wider than only to declare that of human beings, it ventures deep into the zones of plain tangible objects and things that are nothing more than constructs of the mind. There is a lot in nature that doesn't hold up to a male/female role and not just to reproduce.

Reproduction comes from combining two different types of cells. The provider of one type is defined as male and the other is defined as female. That means its binary.

I dont Like gimps

I personaly think it's great that a common interest in this old but great videogame brought people together to discuss something very relevant to our current society and which might lead (hopefully 🤞) to people learning lots of interesting stuff. :)

Cheers,
NH
I do understand that and I know the topic hasnt been the npc being adressed as they/them since more than half the post but it still amazes me that people talk about identity politics in a video game forum but hey was a funny read especially the "basic biology" responses when the whole thing changes once u look at it with advanced biology and good Luck with basic biology when it comes to XX chromosome people have male private parts (intersex)

I dont Like gimps

I get you but lets try to stick with humans bringing other species into the mix prolly just creates even more chaos "birds gonosomes being the "opposite" of human ones (WW=male WZ=Female) unless I mixed something up

Shear-buckler

I do understand that and I know the topic hasnt been the npc being adressed as they/them since more than half the post but it still amazes me that people talk about identity politics in a video game forum but hey was a funny read especially the "basic biology" responses when the whole thing changes once u look at it with advanced biology and good Luck with basic biology when it comes to XX chromosome people have male private parts (intersex)

Inclusion of such elements in media is often exactly that, "identity politics".

When the devs say that they are going to remake NPCs to make the game more "inclusive" that is also "identity politics".

CBDunk

Biological sex is binary. Male and female. It's not a spectrum just because there are occasional malfomities.

So... biological sex is binary... except when it isn't.

Using derogatory terminology to dismiss proof that you are wrong doesn't make you less wrong. Just more bigoted.

Drunken.dx

perfect-popcorn.gif
Pretty much

CBDunk

Alright, can you give me some examples of things that are binary or not "spectral"?

Sure; binary numbers (i.e. 0s and 1s), true/false, alive/dead, et cetera.
What's your point?

This is an international forum, you cannot expect everyone to know what specific words are "derogatory".

Wrong. You understood English well enough to write the sentence, ergo I absolutely DO expect you to know that calling HUMAN BEINGS "malformities" is derogatory.

Shear-buckler

Sure; binary numbers (i.e. 0s and 1s)

There are infinite other numbers 0 and 1, so that's not binary. It's just an arbitrary category.

true/false,

Something that is true in one context can be false in another, so it's not binary. It's just an arbitrary category.

alive/dead

How do you draw the line between living and dead? If you are delclared dead and come back to life, were you dead? Not binary, just an arbitrary category.

What's your point?

My point is that if you don't accept the categories "male" and "female" for the reproduction of animals then you have no basis to accept any categories about anything. The notion that categories have no basis in reality just because they are not infinitely precise and defined is lunacy and in any other area this wouldn't even be a point of discussion.

Wrong. You understood English well enough to write the sentence, ergo I absolutely DO expect you to know that calling HUMAN BEINGS "malformities" is derogatory.

I am absolutely not calling anyone a malformitiy. If you have a third nipple you have a malformity, but that does not in any way make you as a person "a malformity". I am sorry it came across that way.

Shear-buckler

Last time i wrote such things in old forums i was permanently banned. Be careful! 8)

I am literally quoting wikipedia and I don't mean to offend anyone...

"An organism's sex is female (symbol: ♀) if it produces the ovum (egg cell), the type of gamete (sex cell) that fuses with the male gamete (sperm cell) during sexual reproduction.[2][3][4]"

"Male (symbol: ♂) is the sex of an organism that produces the gamete (sex cell) known as sperm, which fuses with the larger female gamete,[1][2][3] or ovum, in the process of fertilization. "

It's like saying "humans are not bipedal because some people have only 1 leg".

Last edited:

I dont Like gimps

Last time i wrote such things in old forums i was permanently banned. Be careful! 8)
*** why do the terms sex and gender exist then? to my knowledge Intersex isnt viewed as a "third sex" just a "sub category"
Like theres a difference between saying theres only 2 sexes and theres only 2 genders bruh saying there are only 2 sexes (or lets say 3 for the sake of it viewing Intersexuality as third ) hardly goes against anyones identification I mean people will say they are ftm or mtf or AMAB/AFAB NB bruh

Status
Not open for further replies.