Wood elf arcane archer ranger alignment

Grimstad

What are your thoughts on alignment for a wood elf ranger, and why? Pros and cons? Lawful neutral seems like a safe bet, but I am unsure about the nuances of alignment.

unbongwah

These days the usual advice is Chaotic-something for Harbinger of Chaos: "+2% Doublestrike and Doubleshot. If you are Chaotic, gain +2 Imbue Dice." Whereas Embodiment of Law gives +3 PRR/MRR instead of Doubleshot. Yeah +2% isn't much but moar DPS is moar DPS. Lawful is for meeting alignment restrictions on monk and/or paladin.

EDIT: obviously the usual advice is for someone taking their toon into late epic / legendary content (levels 28+). If this is just a heroic life, Epic Destiny feats aren't a concern.

Last edited:

Grimstad

These days the usual advice is Chaotic-something for Harbinger of Chaos: "+2% Doublestrike and Doubleshot. If you are Chaotic, gain +2 Imbue Dice." Whereas Embodiment of Law gives +3 PRR/MRR instead of Doubleshot. Yeah +2% isn't much but moar DPS is moar DPS. Lawful is for meeting alignment restrictions on monk and/or paladin.
I just read that the wiki claims that most elves are Chaotic Good, although this is based on DnD, and not DDO. Not sure if there is any substantial difference, or if this hinders or benefits a character in any way. Perhaps it's more like a personal outlook or philosophy.

Marshal_Lannes

Believe it or not, I've speculated on this before in my Elven Ranger analysis.

Analysis of the Elven Ranger

Are you using Horizon Walker? Horzion Walkers, should, in my opinion, be Lawful. They are the Grey Knights of DDO and would need the mental discipline and training of a lawful alignment to succeed in their battles against interplanar creatures.

If you are not using Horizon Walker (or disagree with this reasoning) then Elves, especially Wood Elves, are thematically considered to be Chaotic (Good).

Gaming note: One of the current end-game bow options, the Chaos Bow, gives a negative level to Lawful characters.