XP Equalization

Rockcrusher

My biggest wish, especially for heroics, would be to take all metrics for "average time to complete" and normalize/equalize the XP per minute for every quest in the game. I have limited time (and money for xp pots) and I bet 80% of people grinding heroic/racial lives are running the same 20% of quests to get the most "bang for the buck." My own observation is that the ratio of some quests' xp is off almost 10-to-1. As a side note and to back up my point, I would love for the designers/managers to look at the ratio of quests run. I bet there are some that get less than 1% use.

To make it effective and useful, I imagine you would need to separate solo, full group, and partial group times.
Wiz King for example, is slow when soloing but very fast with 4+.

My own personal metric when running an experience pot (and first time bonuses) is at least 1-2k per minute in heroics.
By making an XP pass, you will revitalize the game and player's experiences.

Upvote 2

mikarddo

You do realize that if you get what you are asking for - the best xp quests will go down in xp while the worst go up - thats part of normalizing?

I do agree though that there are many quests that give way too low xp. If you are infact asking for a buff of those I do agree with that.

1-2k per minute sounds low to me btw. Most of the time you should be doing 5k+ xp/min in heroics if you are running for fast xp and the very best stuff is more like 10k xp/min (questing time)

Levina

You do realize that if you get what you are asking for - the best xp quests will go down in xp while the worst go up - thats part of normalizing?

I do agree though that there are many quests that give way too low xp. If you are infact asking for a buff of those I do agree with that.

1-2k per minute sounds low to me btw. Most of the time you should be doing 5k+ xp/min in heroics if you are running for fast xp and the very best stuff is more like 10k xp/min (questing time)

Are you completing VoN3 in 2 minutes? Seriously?

What in the world...

Bunker

Grouping vs. Solo will provide completely different results when measuring xp/min.

There is always a need for tweaking the balance of xp/time from quest to quest. However, if you are looking for a good lineup of quests to run levels 1-20, 15-32 and 20-32....There are some good guides that exist.

Note: Kills/Traps/Boxes/SecretDoors

There are more than a few groups, many players, that will leave a lot of xp on the table. There is a good arguement to be made, that going for Conquest/Ingenious Debilitation/Ransack/Vigilant Sight is not always worth it, especially if you are solo.

In a group, there should be no reason not to get as much bonus as you can. Yes it is true that some of the above bonuses will not always be available. In a group, it doesn't always take everyone to stick together and speed run a quest. Nothing says you can't leave a few people back for traps, boxes, optionals.

And of course, just splitting up in general, like wizard King as mentioned above.

So how does one evenly measure across all quests, with variables like these?

mikarddo

Are you completing VoN3 in 2 minutes? Seriously?

What in the world...

I am unsure where you are getting 2 mins from?
Von3 certainly gives alot more than 20k xp including optionals, pots etc so none of my numbers seem to be coming near a 2 min completion time. Probably more like 50k xp with the lot.

Alco

This makes no sense. Are you suggesting you level from 1 (0 xp) to 2 (8000 XP) in less than 2 minutes? Or less than a minute using your 10K standard? (XP/level based on at least 2 reincarnations)

Or possibly you go from 3 to 4 in 5 min? (9800 XP/rank) At level 19 you need 72K x 5 = 360KXP - it might just be possible to do that in 36 minutes of game time, but I have grouped with some of the fastest zergers in DDO and that would be quite a stretch - even running "the very best stuff" with full bonuses and a 50% pot.

XP scales as you level up. You need more XP to get from 14 to 15 than you do from 4 to 5 and a level 15 dungeon will give proportionally more XP than a level 5. Saying "you should be doing <number>XP per minute" is nonsense. The only metric that makes sense is time: how long it takes to level up. That really should be fairly consistent across all levels.

Spook

Yes its called a Kobolds new ringleader (thats assuming you dont stone)

Last edited:

Bunker

3.8 mil to reach level 20. It takes me 18 hours (3 six hour 20% potions) of in quest time to reach level 20.

There are a few saga rewards mixed in, and some monster manual xp, and maybe 3-5 days worth of daily dice xp. But I'd say that is fairly average.

So even if you call it 20 hours of in quest gaming, at 3.8 mil to reach level 20. That is 3,167 xp per minute average.

I'd say that is a fairly accurate account of what I'd consider an average for a Racial life.

I can say I go a bit faster than that, but I think that is a good baseline.

Rockcrusher

Yes, some quests might take a small hit, but the vast majority would be increased to a much better level.
I mentioned 2k minimum, but there are some levels where 5k+ is sustainable. It's definitely a balancing act and there are many variables to consider.

Rockcrusher

3.8 mil to reach level 20. It takes me 18 hours (3 six hour 20% potions) of in quest time to reach level 20.

There are a few saga rewards mixed in, and some monster manual xp, and maybe 3-5 days worth of daily dice xp. But I'd say that is fairly average.

So even if you call it 20 hours of in quest gaming, at 3.8 mil to reach level 20. That is 3,167 xp per minute average.

I'd say that is a fairly accurate account of what I'd consider an average for a Racial life.

I can say I go a bit faster than that, but I think that is a good baseline.
This sounds similar to my experiences and backs up the 2k minimum request. I didn't include sagas which would bring that 3.1k per minute down slightly. Ideally, a range of 2k-5k per minute across all quests is optimum. Unfortunately, some don't even qualify for 500 per minute.

Last edited:
Korromar is a long and tedious quest. 8k XP at level. Dookie.

Faithful Departed is ALSO tedious and lengthy. 8k XP at level. Dookie. 10k with some pizazz. Still Dookie.

I like the intention of both these quests, but running them on timer is a nono.

And that's just for slow-regular-me leveling. I aint' no XP Speed Demon or Pro-Bro.

IMO some quests need an XP boost, but I wouldn't nerf XP from popular quests. That'll just honk people's giblets.

Levina

I am unsure where you are getting 2 mins from?
Von3 certainly gives alot more than 20k xp including optionals, pots etc so none of my numbers seem to be coming near a 2 min completion time. Probably more like 50k xp with the lot.

if you are blitzing VoN3 in 5 minutes then you clearly do not want new folks enjoying DDO.
You are destroying the purpose of the game and turning it into math.
Why not just run simulations instead, or get ChatGPT to play for you?

What a waste of time... if you're going to keep bringing this "the game is all about maximizing xp/sec" nonsense then get out.

DDO is about the adventure. If you want xp/min then just send a check to Standing Stone Games and have them add past lives or XP or whatever to your character.

Levina

So with the fact that the destruction of the purpose of the game is best accomplished by having timers on XP Boost potions, i think the responsible choice for the developers is to suspend them until they are converted to a per-quest mechanic based on what the developer team wants to do with it.

folks need to slow the hell down instead of turning DDO into F-Zero.

jotmon

if you are blitzing VoN3 in 5 minutes then you clearly do not want new folks enjoying DDO.
You are destroying the purpose of the game and turning it into math.
Why not just run simulations instead, or get ChatGPT to play for you?

What a waste of time... if you're going to keep bringing this "the game is all about maximizing xp/sec" nonsense then get out.

DDO is about the adventure. If you want xp/min then just send a check to Standing Stone Games and have them add past lives or XP or whatever to your character.

There is lots of content that players cant be bothered to run due to undesirable loot, poor xp, pita quest mechanics, broken flagging, mario skill obstacles that kneecaps players with bs lag .. or bad content that just plain sucks...

Instead of Karening players to 'get out' , mind your own play style and let players play the way they want even if it involves optimizing levelling by xp/min... especially considering these players are also likely to be the ones that have rinse/repeated this exact content hundreds of times on the TR hamster wheel.

How about suggesting meaningful options to entice players to want to run content.

Things like...
-better favor rewards.
-more saga rewards for chain quests
-periodic weekend bonus xp / shiny rewards for completing under run content.
-Dev communication with Players for feedback on bad quest content to help them find ways to improve desirability
-revamp old content loot that has been ignored in every loot pass making the loot and quest content more pointless after every update.

Levina

There is lots of content that players cant be bothered to run due to undesirable loot, poor xp, pita quest mechanics, broken flagging, mario skill obstacles that kneecaps players with bs lag .. or bad content that just plain sucks...

Instead of Karening players to 'get out' , mind your own play style and let players play the way they want even if it involves optimizing levelling by xp/min... especially considering these players are also likely to be the ones that have rinse/repeated this exact content hundreds of times on the TR hamster wheel.

How about suggesting meaningful options to entice players to want to run content.

Things like...
-better favor rewards.
-more saga rewards for chain quests
-periodic weekend bonus xp / shiny rewards for completing under run content.
-Dev communication with Players for feedback on bad quest content to help them find ways to improve desirability
-revamp old content loot that has been ignored in every loot pass making the loot and quest content more pointless after every update.

So your solution to the concept of "if you don't earn 100,000xp+ every ten minutes you are doing it wrong" is to basically have a periodic loot revamp contest, a quest revamp suggestions board, a "it's the weekend, get in here!" in Kobold Voice, and better favor/saga incentives instead of a "let's nerfbat the FORMULA ONE RACING DDO LEAGUE before it gets more out of hand", and if all of that actually works then great.