You know

Drunken.dx

for a community that regularly complains about various things in DDO (both valid and hilarious), a lot of you are complaining too much about game being down today.

have you tried playing something else?

I just did weeklies in Monster hunter World, because I actually play DDO to enjoy it, not to be upset over some "nerfs" or whatever, and that's why I'm not upset it's down today, it will be back up soon enough.

If servers are down, do something else, don't complain here and insult SSG with such fervor, I have my beefs with SSG and their "vision" (or lack of it), but last thing they need right now are bunch of smartasses insulting them and feeling clever about it.

seriously, for a community at this average age you're quite an immature crowd

Br4d

Yeah but if I play another game I might not come back and there are a few things I want to do before I take my next multi year hiatus and there's no guarantee the game will be around the next time I get the itch to stop in.

100%.

This has been on my mind lately also.

Br4d

then why are you still here?

serious question

masochism?

Technically I'm only partly here. DDO is one of the 4 games I play in rotation, 3 of which are MMO's released before 2009 (considering DDO to be reborn with F2P in 2009.) Nothing worth playing has released in about a decade. So DDO keeps getting part of my attention as I play the field waiting for a great MMO to release. And no, there are no great MMO's in development that I can see at this point, so odds are DDO will keep getting partial attention for the forseeable future.

However I do think about what would happen if I took another year+ absence from the game.

Toede

I don't think there will ever be another good MMO ever again. Really only the first ones were worth their salt. Everything else was just derivative and made as quickly as possible to get a piece of that MMO pie. I think the genre's best days have long come and gone.

Br4d

I don't think there will ever be another good MMO ever again. Really only the first ones were worth their salt. Everything else was just derivative and made as quickly as possible to get a piece of that MMO pie. I think the genre's best days have long come and gone.

The first MMO's were cool games. They were designed by gamers and people who wanted to please gamers with their product.

Then the bean counters took over and everything became a WoW derivative and the MMO market went stale.

I look at RPG's like Kenshi and I think there might be hope but then I balance that against MLM-inspired development like AoC and I realize that the dollar is always going to be more important than fun.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
It's really weird because playing another game would make sense, but I REALLY like DDO!
It's old, it's cludgy, it breaks down on a semi-consistent basis (which kinda sounds like me).
Maybe I just relate a little too well to it's quirks @ this point. 😒

Toede

The first MMO's were cool games. They were designed by gamers and people who wanted to please gamers with their product.

Then the bean counters took over and everything became a WoW derivative and the MMO market went stale.

I look at RPG's like Kenshi and I think there might be hope but then I balance that against MLM-inspired development like AoC and I realize that the dollar is always going to be more important than fun.
Oh yeah Kenshi is a really neat game. There are definitely still people out there trying to innovate, though maybe not so much in the MMO space. Unfortunately the developers with fresh ideas just usually don't have good financial backing because nobody wants to take a risk, and a love of games can only get you so far.

I backed AoC. I liked the ideas. But I have a feeling that game is either never going to actually come out or it will be DOA. MLM sounds about right and just about as sketch. The problem with kickstarter MMOs is they all wanted to capture that Star Citizen money honeypot, not actually make a good game. Like what was that one? Chronicles of Elyria I think. Lots of cool ideas but ended up being more hype than game.

Almghandi

for a community that regularly complains about various things in DDO (both valid and hilarious), a lot of you are complaining too much about game being down today.

I just did weeklies in Monster hunter World, because I actually play DDO to enjoy it, not to be upset over some "nerfs" or whatever, and that's why I'm not upset it's down today, it will be back up soon enough.

If servers are down, do something else, don't complain here and insult SSG with such fervor, I have my beefs with SSG and their "vision" (or lack of it), but last thing they need right now are bunch of smartasses insulting them and feeling clever about it.

finished bg3 this week

Br4d

Oh yeah Kenshi is a really neat game. There are definitely still people out there trying to innovate, though maybe not so much in the MMO space. Unfortunately the developers with fresh ideas just usually don't have good financial backing because nobody wants to take a risk, and a love of games can only get you so far.

I backed AoC. I liked the ideas. But I have a feeling that game is either never going to actually come out or it will be DOA. MLM sounds about right and just about as sketch. The problem with kickstarter MMOs is they all wanted to capture that Star Citizen money honeypot, not actually make a good game. Like what was that one? Chronicles of Elyria I think. Lots of cool ideas but ended up being more hype than game.

AoC and to a lesser extent Star Citizen have made more money in their development phases than they are ever likely to make in release. AoC in particular has grossed hundreds of millions of dollars already in the development phase. The odds on them being that kind of hit in release are *really* low.

What the MMO space needs right now is a low tech, low graphics game (like Kenshi) that does not have huge costs associated with the development phase. If any company decides to make this type of game with the mission to make the game fun and playable they will have a runaway hit on their hands.

The problem is they will face tremendous pressure to sell to their publisher or a consortium related to their publisher and it's really hard to say no to a $50M bump when your development costs were 3-4 years of hard work at maybe a million tops.

Cmecu

Absolutely, Ton of other games that are better to play, just as fun if not more. Just played Halo Combat Evolved, Spent the entire day streaming and beating it.

Path of Exile is Free to play on Steam. Just downloaded that.
Also New World is another game I play. Wish more people were really into the game like it was when it came out. The expiditions / Dungeons are amazing in graphics and detail and artwork is magnificent.

Lori

Yes. I logged into EQ2, which I haven't done in.. years.
Then I logged into P99, a Barbarian Shaman, level1, it was pitch black darkness. I killed 1 skeleton when a roaming wolf jumped me and died, and died and died and logged off.
Then I logged into PEQ with the EQ_ROF2 client, gained 2 levels, level 5 now, but the only person I met was 6boxing, so I checked out
Project Quam and couldn't get my resolution set up properly, client was always crashing, this version had no maps, I received no help, their custom addons didn't work and I wasted 1h on that.

Now I checked if the game was up again.
It isn't.

So, now I'm going to check "Classified France 44" out.

Also complaining means you care, when someone stops complaining you'll have to be worried, because then the people have turned their backs and moved on.

Drunken.dx

Absolutely, Ton of other games that are better to play, just as fun if not more. Just played Halo Combat Evolved, Spent the entire day streaming and beating it.

Path of Exile is Free to play on Steam. Just downloaded that.
for PoE i can give good recommendations, second highest play time I have on Steam, sadly quit it since I reached part where I had to stop being casual to see meaningful progress, and I did not want to do that.
It's also main reason why I never really got into Diablo 3, since it's superior by orders of magnitude

tip, if you see you like it, I recommend buying at least currency tab, its' MAJOR QoL feature