Kali's Dark Apostate/Enlightened Spirit HYBRID Melee/Caster IMBUE build

Kalibano

Build Designer & Fun Lover!
Last edited:

Kalibano

Can U post an action video of this build??? Pretty please!
Hi @Zvdegor It would be great to do that, and it's something I sort of intend for all my builds at some point in the future. At the moment, RL is real busy (it's taking me ages to get a single build write-up finished), time is very short! Sorry to disappoint, for now at least :)

Amideus1

Any chance a similar build can be run as a different race? I'd like to give melee DA another shot, I wasn't enamored with Sad Fist 6 splash. But I'm also not a fan of PDK as a visual race.

Kalibano

U66 changes (updated in the forums and DDOBuilder file)
No major changes required for this build.

> The key active changes I made were:
  • Primal Avatar:
    • as of U66, the Primal Avatar T2 spell 'Reborn in Fire' no longer has the T1 Epic Strike as a pre-requisite
    • as this build only uses the Divine Crusader epic strike, I swapped the PA T1 epic strike for T1 Rejuvenation Cocoon

> Swapped Machrotecnic's T3 Doublestrike (1 rank) for Primal Avatar's T3 'At its Core'
  • Since this build uses Reborn in Fire frequently (both for dealing damage and support healing the frontline), this change doubles the damage output of the spell, while giving short bursts of defensiveness (25% uncapped dodge for 4 secs, every 20 secs), which is valuable for a frontline melee build like this.
  • Machrotech's Doublestrike is the next on the list to acquire, once more ED points become available.

> The key passive changes were all positive:
  • Divine Crusader
    • Core Abilities now grant +25 Hit Points.
    • Core 4 damage now correctly scales with Melee/Ranged Power.

• Machrotechnic
    • Rune Arm Use now allows you to use highest of INT/WIS/CHA for Rune Arm DCs

With the small changes above, the build remains good to go as is :) Enjoy!

Frantik

I've been giving this thread, and Grigloks' "Beckon" build a lot of thought. I also like caster/melees, and while I recognise that they wont be competitive at end game, i think they are a lot of fun. I'm leaning now towards Shifter DA (DA 8, WP 41, Falconry 13 and Shifter 19 as a base). Sun domain, TWF (longswords probably), WIS-based. The DA form grants +2 WIS, +2 CON and immunities. Use CHA Trance. The Shifter "shift" will grant +3 CON, +4 WIS and +4 DEX, and i will also take Magic Fang and the 3 Howls. Thinking FotW (+200 health, +20% offhand, cleave and extra damage) as main ED and deep into EA (i think PA is also a valid option). The Blood Feat filigree set is KEY. The second option would be to go more the "Beckon" route and take Divine Crusader (dropping TWF for Shield); DC version would be more tanky, allow for a second Favored Weapon type. Just need to decide on creation (or be ready to pay for alignment change) for either Harbinger of Chaos or Embodiment of Law.

Last edited:

Kalibano

I've been giving this thread, and Grigloks' "Beckon" build a lot of thought. I also like caster/melees, and while I recognise that they wont be competitive at end game, i think they are a lot of fun. I'm leaning now towards Shifter DA (DA 8, WP 41, Falconry 13 and Shifter 19 as a base). Sun domain, TWF (longswords probably), WIS-based. The DA form grants +2 WIS, +2 CON and immunities. Use CHA Trance. The Shifter "shift" will grant +3 CON, +4 WIS and +4 DEX, and i will also take Magic Fang and the 3 Howls. Thinking FotW (+200 health, +20% offhand, cleave and extra damage) as main ED and deep into EA (i think PA is also a valid option). The Blood Feat filigree set is KEY. The second option would be to go more the "Beckon" route and take Divine Crusader (dropping TWF for Shield); DC version would be more tanky, allow for a second Favored Weapon type. Just need to decide on creation (or be ready to pay for alignment change) for either Harbinger of Chaos or Embodiment of Law.
Hey there,

This sounds interesting. I'm assuming you would go for spell DCs, since you are investing in Wisdom? My build does not rely on spell DCs at all, since it basically only uses the offensive spells that get modified by DA to deal damage with no save (e.g. prayer).

I don't tend to theorycraft much on the forums, my apologies for that. The builds I post are fully tried and tested in game, and normally still being run by me at endgame. Without getting the character alive in game and doing a thorough playthrough, I wouldn't personally feel as comfortable making specific comments about the performance of any build: but that's just me.

Having said so, I can see some nice synergies with the choices you made (i.e. race, Falconry, Warpriest WIS-based, then CHA trance, etc.).

I'll risk one small suggestion, based on the vast majority of the caster/melee builds I use: Dragon Breath: Energy Vortex has very strong synergy for caster/melee hybrids, passively dishing out the damage for you in waves while you swing your weapon. That takes quite a bit of investment, being T4, so it's a significant decision.

My build in this thread is not really what I would call a proper caster/melee hybrid: it feels a lot more melee, with a nice pinch of mostly non-save spell dmg. I have other builds that invest properly on spell DCs + melee, perhaps more the style of play you are aiming for? It might be worth having a look at the feat and tree choices, as there seems to be some kind of pattern to the way I build them:

> Kali's Blighted Wolf HYBRID Melee/De-buff+ Insta-kill Caster build (click me!)
> Kali's Alchemist Vile Chemist HYBRID Melee/CC+ Insta-kill Caster build (click me!)

> Kali's Stormsinger Warchanter/Dragon Lord HYBRID Melee/CC+ Insta-kill Caster build (click me!)
> Kali's Bard Swashbuckler HYBRID Melee/CC+ Insta-kill Caster build (click me!)

This might also be useful to help with your planning:
Spell DCs: hybrids vs pure casters (click me!)

Last edited:

Frantik

I get you and have read your post numerous times. Yes, WIS for DCs but only really investing in EA tree for Evocation. WIS to hit and damage makes the build. I'm currently testing out a new character (no past lives) to see how it performs and beginning to farm Vecna expansion for gear with alt that will TR into this build; 3 pc Vecna Lost Purpose set, probably 5 pc Vecna set and if i can squeeze it in, 3 pc Summer (for ring) or Winter set but I may need to mix and match for last few items to assure light and sonic crit/damage profiles. Would love to land the Vecna Long Sword (or the Skellies longsword) and use a IOD Longsword (already in bank) for off-hand. A lot of farming as usual but hey thats the game.

I farmed two of the Nightforge Avenger Blades from A Relic of a Sovereign Past... I did it on Casual at level 9 and it was too easy, so I'm guessing you can do it earlier but the 2 Domain light SLAs for one shots made it faster. So I think I'll use those until level 20+ as coupled with Knight's Training (lvl 12) that will give me a 16-20x3 critical profile.

I get your choice for Energy Vortex, but being a healer type there is great synergy for EA too; the Wraith option for the Mantle provides light and fire damage for 5 secs initially upon casting a light, fire or positive spell, and choosing Sun Domain helps to boost the duration to 15 seconds. FYI, the Leap of Faith 4rd core damage or heal boost also procs the Wraithform extra damage. So often I'll (on a current alt) use Sun Pillar then leap at enemies and have the 15 second extra damage proc'ed.

Last edited:

Kalibano

I get you and have read your post numerous times. Yes, WIS for DCs but only really investing in EA tree for Evocation. WIS to hit and damage makes the build. I'm currently testing out a new character (no past lives) to see how it performs and beginning to farm Vecna expansion for gear with alt that will TR into this build; 3 pc Vecna Lost Purpose set, probably 5 pc Vecna set and if i can squeeze it in, 3 pc Winter set. Would love to land the Vecna Long Sword and use a IOD Longsword (already in bank). A lot of farming as usual but hey thats the game.

I farmed two of the Nightforge Avenger Blades from A Relic of a Sovereign Past... I did it on Casual at level 9 and it was too easy, so I'm guessing you can do it earlier but it was easier with 2 light SLAs for one shots.
Sounds like a good plan (y), and can always be tweaked as you go along, to suit not only your own playstyle, but most importantly, the key aims you want to achieve for the role you want your your character to perform.

Evocation sounds like a great way to go, since it nets you the use of offensive spells doing full dmg + one AoE insta-kill via Implosion. Being hybrid, I also tend to invest in 1, max 2 schools, since there are so many bonuses required to make both aspects of a hybrid work (caster + melee).

Having said so, the new spell spec feat @31 made it a lot easier to invest on a secondary school: I'd say it might be worth going necromancy if you decide to go down that route, since it would synergise with neg AoE spellcasting at melee range (with the added benefit of healing you while damaging enemies) and some extra insta-kill spells to add to your rotation. This would involve adding extra complexity to your gear tetris, for sure, but seems a worthy direction to possibly take. The real hard work is making one school work: since many of those bonuses are spell mastery, you'd be a good way already into the investment needed for a second school, anyway.

A further key synergy to consider is the imbue, scaling with spell power. DA is evil damage, while Warpriest fire. I'm sure you have considered this, just thought I'd suggest you go all in one main spellpower, and focus your main rotation of those spells mostly, so you make the most of the synergy of imbue + spell dmg. The issue with fire is that is generally widely resisted by enemies, but would give you a wide range of spells to cast (including the potential for using Dragon Breath: Energy Vortex). Another thought: though there would be significant losses not going Shifter, Tiefling is a potentially desirable option for its fire immunity stripping, if you forsee yourself relying heavily on the fire dmg side of the hybrid aspect.

Last edited:

Frantik

Sounds like a good plan (y), and can always be tweaked as you go along, to suit not only your own playstyle, but most importantly, the key aims you want to achieve for the role you want your your character to perform.

Evocation sounds like a great way to go, since it nets you the use of offensive spells doing full dmg + one AoE insta-kill via Implosion. Being hybrid, I also tend to invest in 1, max 2 schools, since there are so many bonuses required to make both aspects of a hybrid work (caster + melee).

Having said so, the new spell spec feat @31 made it a lot easier to invest on a secondary school: I'd say it might be worth going necromancy if you decide to go down that route, since it would synergise with neg AoE spellcasting at melee range (with the added benefit of healing you while damaging enemies) and some extra insta-kill spells to add to your rotation. This would involve adding extra complexity to your gear tetris, for sure, but seems a worthy direction to possibly take. The real hard work is making one school work: since many of those bonuses are spell mastery, you'd be a good way already into the investment needed for a second school, anyway.

A further key synergy to consider is the imbue, scaling with spell power. DA is evil damage, while Warpriest fire. I'm sure you have considered this, just thought I'd suggest you go all in one main spellpower, and focus your main rotation of those spells mostly, so you make the most of the synergy of imbue + spell dmg. The issue with fire is that is generally widely resisted by enemies, but would give you a wide range of spells to cast (including the potential for using Dragon Breath: Energy Vortex). Another thought: though there would be significant losses not going Shifter, Tiefling is a potentially desirable option for its fire immunity stripping, if you forsee yourself relying heavily on the fire dmg side of the hybrid aspect.
All good points. Yes I spend 8AP into DA for evil imbue +1 die (+ ghost touch), and plan to take Harbinger of Chaos and Scion of Fire (MRR, PRR, Evo DCs and 3 imbues). I think at 31 if i were to choose a 2nd school it would be Enchantment for the Shifter's Howl of Terror SLA as that will be my main cc. I am a fan of implosion and am aiming to farm a spell pen item with that in mind. Most of my gear, except a few select items (spell pen, light, fire and sonic), will be to improve melee and defence. But Shifter will help enormously for the Blood Feast filigree set (+1200 health on rage at level 32); add the synergy from FotW (rages, extra damage, defences, melee cleaves) and I truly believe it will be fun if I can get my AC, PRR and MRR high enough. If not, I'll change to Protection Domain. As a DA, obtaining high fortification should be relatively simple.

Last edited:

Kalibano

I think at 31 if i were to choose a 2nd school it would be Enchantment for the Shifter's Howl of Terror SLA as that will be my main cc.
Enchantment sounds solid, and you'd also have access to Greater Command, which is awesome (and will based). Just a suggestion (likely you got it covered): I'd pick up Heighten (especially for Greater Command, but also for single-target command and hold person as extra options) and Embolden.

Howl of Terror is a fantastic spell for hybrids at melee range: both my blighted wolf druid caster/melee hybrid and my Enlightened Spirit Warlock caster (who despite being a pure caster, plays mostly at melee range because of his aura) use it frequently.

But Shifter will help enormously for the Blood Feast filigree set (+1200 health on rage at level 32)... Shifter's Howl of Terror SLA as that will be my main cc
Shifter is indeed fantastic for WIS-based casting in general: WIS rage (and Blood Feast synergy, as you pointed out), the Wildhunt Howl de-buffing enemy saves by up to -7, and the Howl of Terror SLA: can't go wrong with it! :)

Tiefling would not be synergistic in that many aspects (despite the fire stripping aspect if you were to go fire-based).