Update 66 Preview 1: AOE Ranged Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

songswrath

No, please tell me this DOES work with Hunt's End.
Something that should have never been added in 1st place. Since its here it needs a longer cool down. The new 9 second is too short needs 12 secs
Technically, AoE for ranged has existed for a few years now: The Everstar and Frozen Terror both do AoE on ranged attacks. However, the damage is so low as to be virtually unnoticeable. These new abilities do more significant damage... but with a single attack on a cooldown. There is no telling what the final damage amounts or cooldown durations will be. Thus, this could be anywhere from game-breakingly OP to essentially useless.

The important point is that it is a 'new' capability that actually works and fills a niche that has been lacking (i.e. letting ranged characters do group CC and/or AoE). How the damage and/or CC levels are scaled is simply a matter of tuning.
We know it going to massively OP. At a minimum it needs to share cool down with hunts end. It will be so broken if you can one shot a pack if mobs every 9 sec. Hunt end in general needs looked at it's too good now with all the stacking CRT multi for ranged. And the fact to can hit 400 plus ranged power with how really trying

Reactions: DBZ

Falkor

'We all know it's massively op." ---- this is your opinion, and a logical fallacy. Not fact.

"Also known as the “everybody knows…” fallacy, arguments from popularity occur when one urges another to accept a claim because a substantial number of people (other than authorities or experts) agree with your claim."

----------

I guess since hunts end is so broken and over powered, this is why all the end game content is filled with nothing but archers. And I am SO SICK of all archer parties when leveling.

^^^^ That is Sarcasm, for the uninitiated, pointed out because ... people. ^^^^^

Honestly, I rarely see archery when leveling and only know of a couple of people who keep an end game build. It's a playstyle that has lost popularity because of issues such as no AOE, ghost shots, lag and more. Great for end game, not so fun getting there.

For fox sake, archers are a pita to level ... and they finally get some kind of AOE and the first thing is a cry "I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

I mean, is everything a source of angst ?

OH MAH GAWD ARCHERS GET AOE DDO IS BRUKEN IMMA RAGE QUIT AND CRY ME A RIVER OF FEE FEES ...

Honestly, archers getting some AOE is the only good thing I see about this destiny pass. Not a single other thing about it is appealing for me. And I fully expect AOE archery to be buggy and glitchy, just like regular archery. But hey, AOE ghost shots are ... impressive, most impressive.

Last edited:

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
We're trying out an experimental new feature in this preview: AOE Ranged Attacks. These ranged attacks are fired from your hotbar like any other Ranged Attack feat or enhancement, with the following differences:
[snip]

If this test is successful, we may move this functionality to a very small number of other existing Ranged Attacks. Let us know what you think!

This can be fun. I am looking forward to it.

I am a bit confused on the other hand. There was a nerf to IPS a few years back, practically a AOE attack because it was too powerful in comparison to melee (I can't remember right. Please correct me, if I am wrong here). And now you are giving us AOE attacks back. This does seem like a contradiction. I'd like to know more about the reasoning behind this.
Thank you.

Cheers,
Titus

Woodyrocker

'We all know it's massively op." ---- this is your opinion, and a logical fallacy. Not fact.

"Also known as the “everybody knows…” fallacy, arguments from popularity occur when one urges another to accept a claim because a substantial number of people (other than authorities or experts) agree with your claim."

----------

I guess since hunts end is so broken and over powered, this is why all the end game content is filled with nothing but archers. And I am SO SICK of all archer parties when leveling.

^^^^ That is Sarcasm, for the uninitiated, pointed out because ... people. ^^^^^

Honestly, I rarely see archery when leveling and only know of a couple of people who keep an end game build. It's a playstyle that has lost popularity because of issues such as no AOE, ghost shots, lag and more. Great for end game, not so fun getting there.

For fox sake, archers are a pita to level ... and they finally get some kind of AOE and the first thing is a cry "I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

I mean, is everything a source of angst ?

OH MAH GAWD ARCHERS GET AOE DDO IS BRUKEN IMMA RAGE QUIT AND CRY ME A RIVER OF FEE FEES ...

Honestly, archers getting some AOE is the only good thing I see about this destiny pass. Not a single other thing about it is appealing for me. And I fully expect AOE archery to be buggy and glitchy, just like regular archery. But hey, AOE ghost shots are ... impressive, most impressive.
Mate, i have been playing only archer all those years and its my first time on lamania testing, the changes are amazing! I dont get why it is so bad for some players...

Reactions: DBZ

Falkor

Yea man. I used to archer up with you on Cannith back in the day when you were new, even showed you a few tricks. We are both big time lovers of this play style, so when I saw you post, really knew your excitement matched mine.

I really don't get people like that. Nor do I want to make any effort to. I see it being like the kid who is crying because they didn't get a present, even though its somebody elses birthday party.

Some people aren't worth the effort to disagree with.

Shear-buckler

Mate, i have been playing only archer all those years and its my first time on lamania testing, the changes are amazing! I dont get why it is so bad for some players...

"I only play archers and this new thing is extremely powerful" is not making the case you think you are making.

Marshal_Lannes

There are extensive threads about how painful (longbow) archers are to level. Due to mob density, every playstyle should have AOE attacks. As for killing packs of mobs together, I don't understand the objection. Currently, melee can wade in and destroy packs of mobs with strikethrough. Casters have long been able to delete whole packs of mobs. Why shouldn't archers be able to do so as well?

Since this ability is limited to longbow users, it may be time to revisit the 20% damage reduction imposed on IPS. If a penalty is still required for heroic leveling and game balance perhaps that should be cut to 10%. I believe that change would be universally accepted and endorsed by players.

Shear-buckler

There are extensive threads about how painful (longbow) archers are to level. Due to mob density, every playstyle should have AOE attacks. As for killing packs of mobs together, I don't understand the objection. Currently, melee can wade in and destroy packs of mobs with strikethrough. Casters have long been able to delete whole packs of mobs. Why shouldn't archers be able to do so as well?

Since this ability is limited to longbow users, it may be time to revisit the 20% damage reduction imposed on IPS. If a penalty is still required for heroic leveling and game balance perhaps that should be cut to 10%. I believe that change would be universally accepted and endorsed by players.

The only objection is that Hunts End (the ranged version of adrenaline) is applied to each target. There is no equivalence for melee.

Falkor

*ADRENALINE HAS ENTERED THE CHAT* There's nothing else like Hunts End out there? What am I? Chopped liver?

Last edited:

DBZ

This combined with aoe exploding arrows will be op for leveling no doubt

Last edited:

Pesh

The only objection is that Hunts End (the ranged version of adrenaline) is applied to each target. There is no equivalence for melee.
Melee have strikethrough, a whole host of different cleave attacks, and higher attack speed on top of that. IPS is a shambles these days and only works if solo or trolling your group which makes it a non starter in most situations, so giving active AoE the ability to work with hunts end is fine if you ask me. Of course the dev's might think differently but we'll have to wait and see what they say.

Shear-buckler

Melee have strikethrough, a whole host of different cleave attacks, and higher attack speed on top of that. IPS is a shambles these days and only works if solo or trolling your group which makes it a non starter in most situations, so giving active AoE the ability to work with hunts end is fine if you ask me. Of course the dev's might think differently but we'll have to wait and see what they say.

The problem is not only ranged vs melee, but also "ranged with hunts end and aoe arrows" vs "ranged without hunts end and aoe arrows".
It also gives a lot more design space for powerful aoe ranged attacks if the devs don't have to balance them with hunts end in mind.

Last edited:

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
I am a bit confused on the other hand. There was a nerf to IPS a few years back, practically a AOE attack because it was too powerful in comparison to melee (I can't remember right. Please correct me, if I am wrong here). And now you are giving us AOE attacks back. This does seem like a contradiction. I'd like to know more about the reasoning behind this.
Careful! Logic can be (incorrectly) interpreted as an attack by emotionally driven decision making.

Woodyrocker

Yea man. I used to archer up with you on Cannith back in the day when you were new, even showed you a few tricks. We are both big time lovers of this play style, so when I saw you post, really knew your excitement matched mine.

I really don't get people like that. Nor do I want to make any effort to. I see it being like the kid who is crying because they didn't get a present, even though its somebody elses birthday party.

Some people aren't worth the effort to disagree with.
Im ignoring the troll now, thanks mate! Now i wanna see changes to Arcane Archer Final Strike too! Im so so happy with the changes! Most of us are it seems! Thank u for the suport my friend!

Last edited:

Pesh

The problem is primarily not ranged vs melee, but "ranged with hunts end and aoe arrows" vs "ranged without hunts end and aoe arrows".
It also gives a lot more design space for powerful aoe ranged attacks if the devs don't have to balance them with hunts end in mind.
Well then don't frame your argument as if its ranged vs melee.

There is plenty of scope to design more aoe ranged attacks because of the hunts end cooldown: even with just 2 attacks being given the aoe treatment hunt's end aoe is now saturated, and still not as powerful as any other aoe style, so more aoe can easily be added- I personally would differentiate single target active vs aoe actives with their damage boni - aoe should have a low bonus (max 30%) and single target should have a high bonus (minimum 50%).

Status
Not open for further replies.