Update 66 Preview 1: AOE Ranged Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelStar

Senior Systems Designer
We're trying out an experimental new feature in this preview: AOE Ranged Attacks. These ranged attacks are fired from your hotbar like any other Ranged Attack feat or enhancement, with the following differences:
  • When the projectile collides with something, instead of dealing your weapon damage and effects to that target directly, that enemy and all nearby enemies in a small area are hit with your full weapon damage and effects, as if they were also hit by the projectile.
  • Improved Precise Shot does not work on these attacks, so as to not create a massive chain reaction. If Improved Precise Shot is on when you perform an AOE Ranged Attack, IPS's ability to pass through enemies simply does not work on that shot (and then resumes working on other shots like normal).
For this preview, we have changed two existing abilities so you can test-drive this feature! They are:
  • Horizon Walker: Scattershot
    • This ability now fires only 1 arrow, and reads "AOE Ranged Bow Attack: Expend one charge to take a shot with +1 Critical Threat Range and Critical Multiplier that shatters on impact, dealing your attack damage to all enemies in a small area around the enemy hit. 2 second cooldown. This feat gives 3 charges, you regain 1 charge every 12 seconds you don't use Scattershot or Manyshot. (Requires a Longbow or Shortbow to use). Shares Charges and a Cooldown with Manyshot."
  • Shiradi Champion: Pin
    • This ability now reads: "AOE Ranged Attack: Make a Ranged Attack that shatters on impact, hitting all enemies in a small area around where it lands. If a moving enemy is affected, they are slowed for 12 seconds. 15 second cooldown."
    • Otto's Whistler's Immobilize and Dance effects when upgrading Pin have been reduced to a 6 second duration (though still with no saving throw) as Pin's ability to lock down groups is now significantly stronger.
If this test is successful, we may move this functionality to a very small number of other existing Ranged Attacks. Let us know what you think!

Woodyrocker

Third and last thing, my main character only plays bow and arrow, and he is always Arcane Archer Elf, i mean, Horizon Walker is cool but can you give some love to the old school archers like me please?

Tsutti

• Shiradi Champion: Pin
    • This ability now reads: "AOE Ranged Attack: Make a Ranged Attack that shatters on impact, hitting all enemies in a small area around where it lands. If a moving enemy is affected, they are slowed for 12 seconds. 15 second cooldown."
    • Otto's Whistler's Immobilize and Dance effects when upgrading Pin have been reduced to a 6 second duration (though still with no saving throw) as Pin's ability to lock down groups is now significantly stronger.
I would love to see Pin grant both an aoe version and a non-aoe version, there are cases where it's actually nice to have a line Pin attack through IPS and having two buttons so you can choose to not have it explode is nice. I would say the duration should still be 6 seconds regardless of which style you choose, especially considering you only would have used the non-exploding Pin if there was a really nice setup for it (so 18 seconds would be far stronger than you need in that case).

EDIT: both versions should share a cooldown, of course

Ying

5000+ hours played
> This feat gives 3 charges, you regain 1 charge every 12 seconds you don't use Scattershot or Manyshot.

Please allow Scattershot and Manyshot to recharge when dead, which isn't the case today. It's not very heroic to get rezzed in the heat of battle and then have to wait on recharges.

Ellisaria

Will Scattershot's poor targeting and/or Pin ghosting when moving be addressed with this change as well? I want to be hyped for these changes because they sound cool on paper and could really help with ranged phys ability to clear trash more quickly, but I have had so many issues with using those skills and them ghosting/fizzling out that I'm cautious to get too excited.

Woodyrocker

I was playing on my main character that i just copied to lamania and i aprove the new PIN! it works with Hunts End and both IPS and Archer Focus! i can kill a BIG group of mobs using PIN and Hunts end in both instances! please make it happen to Final Strike from Arcane Archer Elf and Ranger Tree! ITS WORKING WONDERFULLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.