Update 66 Preview 1: AOE Ranged Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shear-buckler

Remember this is a trial run...if its successful, they'll add more exploding arrow attacks to other trees

Its not that it'll be "mandatory" for ranged builds, its that ranged builds will all have access to these abilities

The mandatory part will be HE. Even more so than adrenaline is for melee.

droid327

The mandatory part will be HE. Even more so than adrenaline is for melee.

Eh so? As long as Shiradi is the ranged ED - and one of the stated goals of this build is to improve Shiradi for ranged damage - I dont see the issue with having the Shiradi ranged Strike be what most ranged builds take.

What Strike would you suggest should be an alternate to HE? Even if it didnt work with exploding arrows, it would probably still be the optimal Strike.

Also....we dont know what other kinds of exploding arrows may come in the future. Some of them may just not mechanically favor working with HE (eg, an instakill arrow) which may push some ranged builds towards other destiny options.

Glargfest

This sounds like a cool change and it’s making me consider making a ranged alt even more.

Just having trouble working out in my head how one projectile affects many in a small area lol

Woodyrocker

Is the 'paralyze/fear' doesn't work verified? They are imbues.

If those imbues are / are not working ... how does this work with the elemental imbues?

Do all imbues work ? Do only some work? Are imbues supposed to work at all with the AOE strikes?

If elemental imbues work, then why not the other ones?
I just tested a lot, and the Imbue arrows work! Both Paralyze and Terror worked on the AOE, the damage imbues work as well, its just a small area, its not so wide, and the KILL ON ONE SHOT effect only works with hunts end, some mobs dance and some mobs stand still if ur shooting elemental arrows and dont use hunts end, with hunts end + Pin most trash dies on one shot! Its working wonderfuly with Arcane Archer! Im excited even more! Please! make changes to Final Strike and my joy will be even greater!

Last edited:

Falkor

Yay! Thanks for checking Woody. :) Great news indeed.

These changes are well timed because I had some iconic lives to run and have been planning on doing it as an archer. It's my last set of iconics and I've put this set of lives off for six months though, knowing how it is to level archery.

So ... I'm pretty stoked about these changes and not dreading those lives _as much_ ... This is a long-needed adjustment.

ACJ97F

We're trying out an experimental new feature in this preview: AOE Ranged Attacks.
  • When the projectile collides with something, instead of dealing your weapon damage and effects to that target directly, that enemy and all nearby enemies in a small area are hit with your full weapon damage and effects, as if they were also hit by the projectile.
  • Let us know what you think!
I'll admit it's interesting, but you can't help noticing the hypocrisy.
"Ranged are using Feats to hit some targets in a line, let's reduce the damage another 20%!"
"Let's add some AOE attacks so you can just run in a circle and hit them all for full damage!"

l_remmie

Love it.
Let's see if it works reliably first (after they fix Pin while moving) with all weapons and styles. Then we can worry about hunt's end.

SteelStar

Senior Systems Designer
I'll admit it's interesting, but you can't help noticing the hypocrisy.
"Ranged are using Feats to hit some targets in a line, let's reduce the damage another 20%!"
"Let's add some AOE attacks so you can just run in a circle and hit them all for full damage!"
The fundamental difference here is:
  • This new AOE attack functionality is (even if we expand it out to other attacks) only on a small number of specific Ranged Attacks, which each have cooldowns, effects, and damage multipliers that we can use as balance tools; just by virtue of cooldowns, they represent a small percentage of your total attacks over time.
  • Improved Precise Shot applies AOE to every attack, activated or otherwise, and represents 100% of your total attacks over time when turned on.

Woodyrocker

• This new AOE attack functionality is (even if we expand it out to other attacks) only on a small number of specific Ranged Attacks, which each have cooldowns, effects, and damage multipliers that we can use as balance tools; just by virtue of cooldowns, they represent a small percentage of your total attacks over time.
  • Improved Precise Shot applies AOE to every attack, activated or otherwise, and represents 100% of your total attacks over time when turned on.
Please make Arcane Archer Elf and Ranger better adding this to Final Strike! The Pin + Hunts End is not ONE HIT KO all the time and specialy on high end stuff, im still testing it, its not unbalanced, its kinda tight in reality, the mobs need to be realy close to each other! but is a fun mechanic!

The Narc

What you did to IPS was and still is an abomination, while casters were obliterating rooms you decided it was cool to kill the only ranged AOE at that time that was feat heavy for non-ranger missile builds. Not only did you have the 20% effect the base damage you had it effect all the add ons, it was rude and has never been forgotten by me and never will be, this single action started the closing of my wallet to this game, so good choice there.

You should remove the 20% as it has little impact to groups and truly only impacts solo play. Although i am not sure i would spend the feats to get it anymore on most non-ranger builds.

Also as nice as it is that you are adding an AOE missile attack, trying adding some that work on other missile builds besides rangers/bow builds.

Signed
The Narc

Smokewolf

Final Strike is the right option mate! As it was suposed to be!
That ability NEVER worked right... Odds are it still may not after this pass. Besides, I'm not too keen on having this ability stuck in T5 when Horizon Walker gets it a T4, and Shiradi at T2. Keep in mind that its "Arcane" Archer as in spell caster.

Woodyrocker

That ability NEVER worked right... Odds are it still may not after this pass. Besides, I'm not too keen on having this ability stuck in T5 when Horizon Walker gets it a T4, and Shiradi at T2. Keep in mind that its "Arcane" Archer as in spell caster.
I believe they can overhaw the ability! So it could be MAGICAL or sort of it... i dont know, but i would like to see a change!

Status
Not open for further replies.