Youtube video: Hasbro in talks to sell DnD to Tencent

Onyxia2016

Regardless who owns the brand, SSG/Day Break acquired the licenses to use the D&D brand and that will not change. Whatever entity ends up owning the brand still must adhere to the licensing contract. Now once the term of the current contract is up, all bets are off, but more than likely they will be renewed as is. The brand owner has to do very little other than agree to allow SSG/Day Break to use the name and associated verbiage and they get a handsome licensing fee.

Reactions: dur

Mystra

Goddess of Magic
Regardless who owns the brand, SSG/Day Break acquired the licenses to use the D&D brand and that will not change. Whatever entity ends up owning the brand still must adhere to the licensing contract. Now once the term of the current contract is up, all bets are off, but more than likely they will be renewed as is. The brand owner has to do very little other than agree to allow SSG/Day Break to use the name and associated verbiage and they get a handsome licensing fee.
Unless said license takes away from the profits of their new D&D MMO.

But even still a new MMO takes years to make.

YeeboF

They likely are selling it:

Seems like a pretty short sighted move on Hasbro's part. The rest of their portfolio is doing badly, which has gotten them into debt. So they sell the most profitable asset in their portfolio to get out of debt and then . . . . .?

That said, Tencent seems to let teams in their portfolio do whatever they want as long as they turn a reasonable profit. I doubt they would demand changes to what is being done with DnD. I would be amazed if they make such sweeping changes that they would be felt by an independent licensee like SSG with DDO.

Mystra

Goddess of Magic

Seems like a pretty short sighted move on Hasbro's part. The rest of their portfolio is doing badly, which has gotten them into debt. So they sell the most profitable asset in their portfolio to get out of debt and then . . . . .?

That said, Tencent seems to let teams in their portfolio do whatever they want as long as they turn a reasonable profit. I doubt they would demand changes to what is being done with DnD. I would be amazed if they make such sweeping changes that they would be felt by an independent licensee like SSG with DDO.
8ec6bx.gif

Lazuli

That's not a reliable source lol. After Roll for Combat, rumors have spread virally, but they are all based on smoke and there is nothing reliable about them.

You can now find many websites and videos on YouTube talking about this. And everyone only talks about smoke. There is no evidence that this is true.

Mystra

Goddess of Magic
That's not a reliable source lol. After Roll for Combat, rumors have spread virally, but they are all based on smoke and there is nothing reliable about them.

You can now find many websites and videos on YouTube talking about this. And everyone only talks about smoke. There is no evidence that this is true.
No I believe it. Hasbro has been hemmoraghing money and their CEO is just itching to look like he's some savior for the company. Offloading D&D for a BAJILLION dollars will give him more money and the board members as well.

This is SO F@$?!D...

Onyxia2016

But if its posted on the Internet it has to be true 🤪

Lazuli

In case it's not clear, all of this is nothing more than rumors and smoke. The only thing that seems to have evidence is that WOTC could be thinking about giving a license to produce video games.

To license the D&D IP to make video games is not sell the D&D IP. WotC licenses the D&D IP all the time--we could not have DDO if not, and there are D&D lunchboxes and t-shirts and miniatures and many other things. Licensing an IP is not selling an IP.

Drunken.dx

Those rumors don't make sense.
You expect common sense?

This news went broken telephone faster than I go through bag of roasted sunflower seeds and those survive less than a minute in my presence.

People saw that hasbro and tencent were talking about potential cooperation and from there went full "let's imagine worst possible scenario"...

Smokewolf

Should Tencent acquire the DnD IP, all media and gaming become property of the CCP ! If this happens, I will 100% walk away from DnD, rather allow my hobby fund a country with hostile intentions towards the western world.

Lazuli

Should Tencent acquire the DnD IP, all media and gaming become property of the CCP ! If this happens, I will 100% walk away from DnD, rather allow my hobby fund a country with hostile intentions towards the western world.
Tencent is not going to buy the IP and Hasbro is not going to sell it. It has already been confirmed that all these rumors have been pure fake. Now the rumors say that Pandaily (website which started the rumors) generated the article by AI using Combat for roll as source.

But no, this is not true, the IP will continue to be the property of Hasbro, and WOTC has sent the message that Titus Ovid put in this thread a few hours ago to all the outlets that have asked. Everything is false. The only thing that is ongoing is a negotiation to give rights to produce video games based on D&D. Even if that meant a new, more modern DDO (and none knows at this time!!!), that will take a long time.

If negotiations go through successfully, it could simply mean more games like BG3. Don't be captivated by fakes. YouTubers always want to be the first, even if what they are spreading is false.

tsotate

Hasbro execs might not be the sharpest crayons in the box, but even they aren't going to sell off the only profitable part of their company.

Oliphant

There is more truth in that Voodu for DDO president thread than in D&D being sold to tencent by few orders of magnitude.
Based on this thread it sounds like it's only a viral rumor. Are you saying thread is wrong and Tencent IS buying the IP?

Onyxia2016

YouTuber news the tabloids of the modern world, whose closest form of verifying a story is asking the homeless guy down the street.
Or was it the aliens that abducted them last night :unsure: