Youtube video: Hasbro in talks to sell DnD to Tencent

Lazuli

Then there's this:

I love when the Roll from combat publisher says ironically, maybe I have been able to predict the future with 100% accuracy or someone from Hasbro saw my video and decided to follow my idea :ROFLMAO:

Oliphant

On both sides of the discussion seem driven by the tendency of narratives that sound good to spread. There's a whole investment orientation centered on looking for sucker narratives and shorting the confident folks.

Kathwynn

Glad that this rumor was put to bed. Because gods no to tencent to ever getting their paws on DND. Hasbro is enough of a bad thing. Tencent would be worse in my opinion.

Kathwynn

People don't even know what logic means.
sk04z.jpg

YeeboF

That's not a reliable source lol. After Roll for Combat, rumors have spread virally, but they are all based on smoke and there is nothing reliable about them.

You can now find many websites and videos on YouTube talking about this. And everyone only talks about smoke. There is no evidence that this is true.
They are a fairly relaible source for MMO news. When a story like this updates, they also update the information they have on it, like they did here:

They also publish straight up retractions when they need to. For MMO news, I trust them as much as any normal news source (as much as I would trust an average newspaper for example). I mean, no I don't trust them as much as NPR or AP News, But they are up to the standards of any internet gaming news site I am aware of. A hell of a lot more reliable than a random YouTube channel for example.

Last edited:

Lazuli

They are a fairly relaible source for MMO news. When a story like this updates, they also update the information they have on it, like they did here:

They also publish straight up retractions when they need to. For MMO news, I trust them as much as any normal news source (as much as I would trust an average newspaper for example). I mean, no I don't trust them as much as NPR or AP News, But they are up to the standards of any internet gaming news site I am aware of. A hell of a lot more reliable than a random YouTube channel for example.
It may be, but they have been quick to repeat rumors without verifying them, and even more so when it was clear that those rumors were a regurgitated version of Roll for combat speculation. That doesn't make it a really serious site.

That's why I said they were not a reliable source, and they have not been. With this type of news you have to be critical, and wait for more information. In these times, fake news flies and the madness to inform as soon as possible takes over most websites. And as you can see, they did not verify the information before publishing it.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Who's "bigger," Tencent (who I've never heard of tho that's not saying much nowadays) or Larian? My money's on Larian and although they make fun games, it's not DnD but I haven't played em all *and they aren't the Chinese Spy Machine AFAIK.

Last edited:

Lazuli

Who's "bigger," Tencent (who I've never heard of tho that's not saying much nowadays) or Larian? My money's on Larian and although they make fun games, it's not DnD but I haven't played em all *and they aren't the Chinese Spy Machine AFAIK.
Tencent is bigger. It is one of the highest multimedia companies in the world based on revenue. It is also one of the world's largest companies in the video game industry. In fact Tencent owns 30% of Larian Studios.

Tencent is Chinese.

Drunken.dx

How in khyber are you not aware who tencent is?

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
I should work in PR and Media Analysis. Oh wait, I did for 15 years.

Speculations and wild running imaginations are just outright more entertaining than reality or facts. And now I am going to bed and dream up my lottery win.

Cheers,
Titus.

Oliphant

24/7 speculative news: totally annoying.
Speculating potential future meetings where SSG has to explain Otto Boxes to Larian: Frikin Awesome!
#consequence_of_error

dur

aka Cybersquirt
How in khyber are you not aware who tencent is?
Haven't been paying attention to dev news for a long time. Plus, I've been playing DDO n a few others, period, and none of them are produced by tencent.. haha ten cent(s).. :p

jmervyn

I was wondering why we had that pointless 1-question Gargle poll about "would you recommend DDO" when all they need is to peek at these forums. ;)

Br4d

It sounds like Hasbro was looking to sell exclusive D&D game development rights to Larian but Larian's pockets weren't deep enough. The sale of the IP to Larian makes sense because BG3 was such a masterpiece. It's hard to see how anybody could do better than Larian did there.

The scary part is that Larian is apparently partnering in a big way with Tencent and that's where the rumors of D&D getting sold to tencent probably came from. Tencent definitely has the pockets to fund Larian's acquisition of the IP in some form of partnership in which Tencent got publishing rights to Larian's games.

This type of acquisition could easily see the rights to the D&D IP shift to Tencent if Larian got in financial trouble down the road.